Bro
    Where I do my thinking

Near Nirvana.... So close.... But not quite

Today I went out, meaning to get in a nice long ride, instead of hanging around my dorm and being subjected to Super Bowl stuff. And on that ride, I was feeling great. I was faster, stronger, and overall riding much better than I have been, thanks to my new training plan.

And then, with about a mile and a half left in my warm-up loop before heading off in the general direction of the top of the ridge for the real ride, I got a pinch flat. In the middle of some chunky, fun, downhill singletrack. Curses! The flow was ruined. So I popped my spare tube in, packed the torn tube away, and continued on my way, not even bothering to salvage what had been a great ride until that point. I also managed to bend the small pin-looking thing on the Presta valve. Winning like a boss.

Of course, it took me a few minutes, but I then realized that my spare tube was also leaking a bit of air. It was getting too late to attempt to go along the top of the ridge before dark, so I decided to just stop and top off the tire before dejectedly heading back to my dorm.

I carry a patch kit when I'm riding, but I really hate patching tubes on the trail. Especially when I have a choice between patching a pinch-flatted tube and a tube with a pinhole somewhere along it.

Flat tires make me sad.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Tubeless. You'll never go back. Its not that hard, you can do it!

Also this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Near Nirvana.... So close.... But not quite-nirvanababy.jpg  

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    I've thought about tubeless before.... I had a brief spell using ghetto tubeless on another bike.... I'm just so lazy....
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    From one Erik to another Erik I know the feeling, mine usually seems to be a mechanical though. Like you, I am also too lazy to switch to tubeless. Luckily for me though I have only gotten 3 flats while mtbing in the last 5 years and none of them were at home. Two were in Moab last summer and one in New England a couple years ago. So for now, since I can run 25psi, with tubes, and not get flats, my laziness will prevail.

mtbr member
    Aloha!

Awesome post!! Thanks!

I too had something similar. I went out to do some service on the bike and was going to go out and do some nice, sweet singletrack in the jungle. Put the bike in the stand, spin the rear wheel and notice a HUGE side to side wheel. Realized I broke one spoke on my drive side.

Bummer!! Off with the wheel, off with the tire, off with the cassette, remove the ghetto tubeless rim strip and cut tape off of where the spoke broke (right at the nip). Luckily I have extra spokes. Replace spoke, get truing stand out and true wheel. Put rim strip back on, seat a new tire (I was going to eventually change the tire), cassette on, wheel back on bike. NOW I can go for a ride. Phew!!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking

The universe is out to get me....

Today, on my road ride, I managed to kill two tubes. The first was a puncture -- easy enough, I thought. Threw my spare tube in, started pumping, realized that there was a hole in the spare tube. I'd managed to catch the tube between the bead of the tire and the rim, which tore a giant hole in the tube.

So I decided to patch the hole in the first tube, which was simply from a thorn. Patched it up, threw the tube in, managed to tear the tube in the same fashion as the first tube.

So I made the call of shame -- the two tubes are ripped beyond repair. Ride came twenty minutes later, with ten minutes until my lab was supposed to start. I managed to miss the first twenty minutes of the lab! That was fun.

Then, while I was installing a new tube tonight, I manged to tear it in the same way as the other two tubes.

I think it's just the tire/rim combination. The tire fits really tightly over the rim, and it's a ***** to install and take off.

I still hate flat tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Tubeless for the MTB...

Double check the tubes seat for the roadie. I have done this a couple times on the road bike, but I figured out if I deflate the tube after the tires is on, then check for pinching, and re-inflate I don't have this issue.

It happens. Good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Someone negative repped me for the above comment! lmfao