Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Nasty bug bite Dr sent me to ER

I went riding Tuesday evening at Boulder Park here in Dallas, Tx. I felt something crawling on my arm and when I went to knock it off of me is when it bit. The bite was painful to my right forearm for hours. Since I didn't have any other symptoms I held off on going to the hospital. About 5 hours later I started itching in that area on my arm. Here it is over 48 hours later when I called my Dr this afternoon about noticing a small crater on my arm and that the itching was worse he said he could not work me in and to get to the emergency room. So I went to the ER.

The Dr looked my arm over and she said it was inflamed, and asked if I had any other symptoms besides the itching and crater. No I replied. Advising her I had been treating the area with peroxide, neosporin, and a ice pack. She asked if I use Deet. No. I use Skin So Soft which she did agree that the product is known to drive away mosquitos and to keep using it. A big bottle off that stuff goes a long way compared to Off or Deep Woods. The Dr said I'm having what looks like an allergic reaction to the insect that bit me. She does not believe it to be a brown recluse spider because by now it should be worse and I should have other symptoms. I've been asked to come back if the crater gets larger, changes color, or if I start oozing pus. She has given me an antibiotic and a cream to apply to the area.

I believe it to be a spider bite. Since I had glasses on at the time I really didn't get a good look at it, and was riding at a good speed. I hate spiders like Indiana Jones hates snakes. So when I'm biking I really don't just stop what I'm doing to get a closer look. Another thing I thought brown recluse spiders are more of a ground spider but I do not know much about them except for they can make you very sick and what it does to your skin which is awful. I posted a pick to show the bite, and it really is not that red around the bite area. Hopefully with the meds this will get better. In the picture the bite is in the lower center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nasty bug bite Dr sent me to ER-bite1.jpg  

“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells

Lots of things can leave a nasty bite. There is an entire order of insects with dagger-like mouthparts that hurt like a SOB when they bite. They are not bloodsuckers like mosquitoes but they will bite out of self defense.

There are also a lot of biting flies that hurt like hell. Horse flies in particular. This time of year the flies can be bad. They like it hot and sunny unlike many other viting insects.

I have not known a spider to hurt that bad right off.

Weekend Warrior
    put me off from going to Boulder...... and with all those West Nile craze in DFW area.. Used to have tiny fire ant bites, and they swollen pretty darn big too.... painful and ichy at same time.
    Realtor/Photographer and weekend warrior.
    My Endomondo
    My Cycling Deals Blog

Once you get enough, fire ant bites don't have the same pain anymore. They still burn at first and itch something fierce a few days later, though.

Tick diseases keep me more vigilant than anything else.

Doctors like to blame spiders for any unknown insect bite. I call BS. I have been bitten by insects most doctors wouldn't know even exist.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Lots of things can leave a nasty bite. There is an entire order of insects with dagger-like mouthparts that hurt like a SOB when they bite. They are not bloodsuckers like mosquitoes but they will bite out of self defense.

There are also a lot of biting flies that hurt like hell. Horse flies in particular. This time of year the flies can be bad. They like it hot and sunny unlike many other viting insects.

I have not known a spider to hurt that bad right off.
    That is what I heard from one of my friends. He was thinking a bee sting but when I emailed him the pic he replied back, " I don't think it is a bee sting." The Dr wrote it as a bug bite with an allergic reaction. One thing I learned about the brown recluse is that it is one of the most active spiders between 70-110 degrees. I was reading about them to see if they know to get up in trees. All I found is that they like the trunk and get under the bark.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lifanus View Post
    put me off from going to Boulder...... and with all those West Nile craze in DFW area.. Used to have tiny fire ant bites, and they swollen pretty darn big too.... painful and ichy at same time.
    That is why I bought that skin lotion. I've known about it for some time, and I've decided to use every time I got to ride or any other outdoor activity. It was good to hear from the Dr that she knew about it as well. People up here are freaking out. My neighbors are wearing jeans, and one of them told me I should be wearing long sleeve t-shirts when I ride my bike. I agree that this West Nile Virus is really bad. They are spraying hopefully it will help.

I would bet yours was a nasty fly. Something took a hunk of skin, for sure. Many biting flies leave behind anticoagulants that can cause allergic reactions.

Could also be an infection. You can get infections from any bug bite

I have been chased for half a mile by horse flies before while I was on my mtb. Vicious bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Endoman68 View Post
    That is why I bought that skin lotion. I've known about it for some time, and I've decided to use every time I got to ride or any other outdoor activity. It was good to hear from the Dr that she knew about it as well. People up here are freaking out. My neighbors are wearing jeans, and one of them told me I should be wearing long sleeve t-shirts when I ride my bike. I agree that this West Nile Virus is really bad. They are spraying hopefully it will help.
    Lmfao...panic. Gotta love it. I don't live far down the road from you and we have seen some west nile cases. But I live in a rural county and nobody cares. I get bit just getting my mail and you don't get much more high risk than blood cancer survivor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Lmfao...panic. Gotta love it. I don't live far down the road from you and we have seen some west nile cases. But I live in a rural county and nobody cares. I get bit just getting my mail and you don't get much more high risk than blood cancer survivor.
    Speaking of more panic my next door neighbor spent over $50 to get medicine drops to put on her dog for mosquitos. Also that neighbor who told me to wear the long sleeve t-shirt I told her that will cling to me when I start sweating and will be really hot to wear. Were are you at down the road if you don't mind me asking? I took a long hiatus from riding and the trails have changed like Grapevine, L B Houston, Boulder, and I was told Erwin Park has had some added things. I want to ride Big Cedar and check that out as well.

No Stranger to danger....
    well OP, lets hope it wasnt a spider with flesh eating bacteria on its fangs, your arm might get gang green and it might travel into your bones and you might lose your whole arm or even die.....
    I guess you will find out in the next few days, theres no medical intervention that can help this you either have it or you dont, are you right or left handed? im thinking you will lose the whole arm here............
    cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Another Retro Grouch
    You Ozzies have some of the nastiest spiders in the world. We don't have anything close in the USA. Black widow and brown recluse are a walk in the park compared a funnel spider. Then there's swimming with the jellies and sharks. It's a wonder anyone's still alive down under

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    You Ozzies have some of the nastiest spiders in the world. We don't have anything close in the USA. Black widow and brown recluse are a walk in the park compared a funnel spider. Then there's swimming with the jellies and sharks. It's a wonder anyone's still alive down under
    Everybody living in Sydney has found Funnel webs in their gardens, in summer the males go looking for a mate, they wander into homes n get into shoes, the males are the ones that pack a punch and is the deadliest spider on the planet, we have mouse spiders n red backs, i think we have 11/12 of the world deadliest snakes, in sydney we have the king brown, death adder, tiger and on the outskirts of sydney we have the inland n eastern taipan which many consider as the deadliest in the world..
    In Sydney in the way of sharks we have big Bulls in the harbour, tigers and great whites on the beaches n several attacks a year, n this is in the heart of sydney, im a pro fisherman and avid spearfisherman and ive seen some full sized bulls and a white that make your cock n balls hide in your body....
    Yes we have a few species of jelly fish that can kill like the box, but thousands of blue bottles on most beaches.
    Up north we have crocs capable of taking full grown cattle and the biggest croc on record for the world including africa, so yep we have a few deadly things in our backyards, but honest if you live here n love the outdoors n diving you never worry too much about them, its all part of life here, ive got more chance of having a bad reaction to a bee sting n dying than any of those things happening.
    I was a landscaper n horticulturist as my first trade, i never wore gloves once in ten years in the garden, often lifted rocks, tin roof, logs n saw funnel webs looking cranky with fangs up, never got bitten, you would have to be pretty unlucky, cheers, n when are you comin for a holiday over here.......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Speaking of more panic my next door neighbor spent over $50 to get medicine drops to put on her dog for mosquitos. Also that neighbor who told me to wear the long sleeve t-shirt I told her that will cling to me when I start sweating and will be really hot to wear. Were are you at down the road if you don't mind me asking? I took a long hiatus from riding and the trails have changed like Grapevine, L B Houston, Boulder, and I was told Erwin Park has had some added things. I want to ride Big Cedar and check that out as well.
    Nacogdoches, but not for much longer. moving to Indiana.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nacogdoches, but not for much longer. moving to Indiana.
    What your leaving Texas? I wish you the best on your move to Indiana.
    Have you looked into the trails up there yet? I asked if there was any good trails in Texas before I moved here at a local bike shop in Kansas City, Mo. He replied there are no good trails in Texas. The trails here are fun. I would love to plan some mountain biking vacations to Colorado, Utah, California, and British Colombia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    Everybody living in Sydney has found Funnel webs in their gardens, in summer the males go looking for a mate, they wander into homes n get into shoes, the males are the ones that pack a punch and is the deadliest spider on the planet, we have mouse spiders n red backs, i think we have 11/12 of the world deadliest snakes, in sydney we have the king brown, death adder, tiger and on the outskirts of sydney we have the inland n eastern taipan which many consider as the deadliest in the world..
    In Sydney in the way of sharks we have big Bulls in the harbour, tigers and great whites on the beaches n several attacks a year, n this is in the heart of sydney, im a pro fisherman and avid spearfisherman and ive seen some full sized bulls and a white that make your cock n balls hide in your body....
    Yes we have a few species of jelly fish that can kill like the box, but thousands of blue bottles on most beaches.
    Up north we have crocs capable of taking full grown cattle and the biggest croc on record for the world including africa, so yep we have a few deadly things in our backyards, but honest if you live here n love the outdoors n diving you never worry too much about them, its all part of life here, ive got more chance of having a bad reaction to a bee sting n dying than any of those things happening.
    I was a landscaper n horticulturist as my first trade, i never wore gloves once in ten years in the garden, often lifted rocks, tin roof, logs n saw funnel webs looking cranky with fangs up, never got bitten, you would have to be pretty unlucky, cheers, n when are you comin for a holiday over here.......
    Sounds like fun to me. I had a friend that went on a vacation to Sydney and posted a bunch of pics looked beautiful. Guess you are use to it by now. I've heard about your all's spiders, snakes, crocs and sharks. I've only seen sharks in aquariums, and if I seen a great white, or bull shark I just might piss myself. Instead of watching shark week I just need to hean on over and see it in person. One of the big tragic stories I heard about a couple on their honeymoon in Australia was scuba diving when a big great white showed up. The groom was able to get the bride out of the way, and was attacked by the shark leaving her a widow. Flesh eating bacteria was in the news not to long ago, and now it's the West Nile Virus. When I've been out mountain biking on the trails I've seen joggers, hikers, and someone horse back riding. Good to see people outdoors enjoying themselves instead of panicking.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I have had so many skeeter bites through t-shirt weight clothes I can not count them
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Another Retro Grouch
    We've had West Nile up here for years. I've read that most people never have any symptoms and develop immunity over the years. Most West Nile deaths are compounded by other illnesses such as cancer or old age. Encephalitis is much more dangerous, thankfully most years it's not an issue. I worry more about Lyme's from ticks.

What your leaving Texas? I wish you the best on your move to Indiana.
    Have you looked into the trails up there yet? I asked if there was any good trails in Texas before I moved here at a local bike shop in Kansas City, Mo. He replied there are no good trails in Texas. The trails here are fun. I would love to plan some mountain biking vacations to Colorado, Utah, California, and British Colombia.
    4+ years is enough for me to get my master's and bug out. It's too hot.

I am originally from Indiana so I've got a good idea of what is available there. There are some awesome new trails that have been built since I moved away. I actually drove up there earlier in the summer and brought my bike with me so I could ride one of them. It was an easy trail, but it was a very fun easy trail. There's a more challenging one I've been itching to ride in the southern part of the state.

I have enjoyed most of the trails I've ridden in Texas. They're different than the ones I've ridden elsewhere, but still fun. Tyler State Park is a favorite of mine.

You do need to do some riding trips, though. I've done some in Utah (but mostly not the "popular" Utah rides) and had a blast. I've also been to NC a couple of times to ride. Good stuff there, too. A local (to TX) friend of mine just got back from a trip to Angel Fire in NM. Looks like a rad trip from his photos and videos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    my gf got attacked by some weird type flies that were biting the **** out of her when my friend went over the handle bars and we were chilling with him until he was ready to ride again. she started riding in circles to get them to stop biting her. later on i looked at the bites on her arms and legs and they looked like small craters, similar to yours... just less hairy lol

mtbr member

I am originally from Indiana so I've got a good idea of what is available there. There are some awesome new trails that have been built since I moved away. I actually drove up there earlier in the summer and brought my bike with me so I could ride one of them. It was an easy trail, but it was a very fun easy trail. There's a more challenging one I've been itching to ride in the southern part of the state.

I have enjoyed most of the trails I've ridden in Texas. They're different than the ones I've ridden elsewhere, but still fun. Tyler State Park is a favorite of mine.

You do need to do some riding trips, though. I've done some in Utah (but mostly not the "popular" Utah rides) and had a blast. I've also been to NC a couple of times to ride. Good stuff there, too. A local (to TX) friend of mine just got back from a trip to Angel Fire in NM. Looks like a rad trip from his photos and videos.
    Brown County ? Indiana has some great riding. Michigan does too,you may know about this website Hoosier Mountain Bike Association for some of the best trails in Indiana.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

I know all about HMBA. I have done trail work with them in the past.

Yeah, BC is what I am itching to ride.

My wife is from MI and I lived there a couple of times for almost 2yrs total. I have ridden a few trails there, too. Ohio, too. And PA. I have been around

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I have had so many skeeter bites through t-shirt weight clothes I can not count them
    skeeter bites are awful! When I lived in Missouri my brother, and a really good friend of mine, and I went black berry hunting. We got our black berries, and from the knees down skeeter bites. Best thank for it at the time was a clorox bleach bath. Stunk like the dickens but it worked. Mom was po cause she had no bleach when it came time to do the laundry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    my gf got attacked by some weird type flies that were biting the **** out of her when my friend went over the handle bars and we were chilling with him until he was ready to ride again. she started riding in circles to get them to stop biting her. later on i looked at the bites on her arms and legs and they looked like small craters, similar to yours... just less hairy lol
    your gf riding in circles for some reason I got the picture of horse and wagons going around in circles too many cowboy westerns for me...lol. I would have done the same to get rid of a bunch of flies. I keep hearing about them on this thread so may be it was a nasty little fly that packs a punch when it bites. Sounds like your friend had a bad endo. Endo's going down a technical section are the friggin worse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

I've heard about Tyler and have not been there yet. Friend called me about Big Cedar may be I'll head on out there with him over the weekend since I have not been there. I have a friend that has accepted a job offer in Colorado, and he has already said when he gets his apartment and settled in he is going to buy a mountain bike. That's awesome

mtbr member
    This sounds exactly like what I had while riding just this week, a bee sting. Your description,, the feel of the bite or sting and a small crater in the skin, plus the itching.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast