mtbr member

My new The North Face hydration bladder leaks =|

Yesterday I purchased a TNF Megamouth 100oz hydration pack and when I tested the bladder at home, it leaks on the screw cap.

When I fill it all the way full, which I'll probably only do if I take it out on a full day or overnight expedition, and I squeeze on the bladder with a little pressure as if it was getting squeezed inside the pack against my back, it starts to leak along the fill cap.

I tried tightening it with all my strength, to the point where removing it was almost impossible, and it still leaks.

I wanted to know if it was a common issue with most bladders and if I went back to exchange it, I should expect the same problem to occur. I wanted to see if you guys had any helpful insight before I got off work and went back to Sport Chalet. TIA.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Can you rub some food-grade Vaseline (forget what you call that) around the rim?
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    If at all possible, I don't want to have to deal with a sealant. Although it probably will work up to a certain point.

I wouldn't mind the leak so much but it seams that there's no drain spout on the bottom of the pack.

those are Rollercams...
    If it leaks take it back. It's brand new and it should work properly. According to the North Face website this pack comes with a Nalgene bladder which are IMO amongst the best available, I have a 2-liter and a 3-liter and neither have ever leaked. When (if) you return it, I'd have them test it at the store before leaving with it.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    So I'm guessing that a bladder shouldn't leak if fully filled and given some pressure? Ok, but I'm gonna test run it tonite and take it back tomorrow.

Don't worry, be happy!
    North Face Warranty

1-866-715-3223 (prompt 7)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nalgene is my favorite bladder, but they have had leaking problems in the past. I have had several replaced, by either Nalgene, Dakine or REI. Too bad REI quit carrying them....

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    take it back to the shop??????

I'd take it back and test the new one in the shop, it shouldn't leak.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I know its not the same brand, but my camelbak has never leaked and I fill it slam full everytime with 100oz of water.

No matter who makes it, it should not leak.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2008 Trek 6500
    Yakima King Joe 2
    Softride Dura Rack

mtbr member
    I took it out on Monday and left the bladder in the pack overnight. In the morning the pack was soaked along the top. It leaks even without any pressure on the bladder. So I got it exchanged it before work. They gave me an entirely new pack and bladder. I tested it right now and there seems to be no leak whatsoever. I'll be riding tonite and will have more info on the new pack tomorrow. But so far so good. The cap seems to be smoother and easier to put on. Maybe someone cross thread my original one while playing with it at the store.

One thing, the bite valve is absolutely horrendous compared to Camelbak's bits. It flows terribly, has an annoying plastic thing you have to bite down on because it protrudes out the middle, and its hard to purge all the air out of the line or its holding air in the bite valve after every use or something.

Besides that, the actual pack itself is awesome! Better than any pack I've ever tried. There's a mesh back panel much like those expensive mesh office chairs so it breathes rather well and you can't feel the bladder bulge. There's a myriad of pockets and sleeves and the whole thing cinches down night and tight.

There's a built in whistle in the sternum strap but its more a gimmick than anything as it doesn't really belch out clean and clear whistle tones. But the magnetic bit that holds your bite valve is absolutely brilliant. Much like the magnetic break away power cord on your Macbook.

The whole thing isn't very big like a Camelbak Hawg and looks smaller than a Mule but it expands and holds a ton of stuff. The only real gripe besides the bite valve is the lack of a drain hole in the bladder pouch, and the ability to completely remove the waist strap, although I found out that you can tuck waist strap completely into the small openings on the bottom of the side pockets.

I love the pack, not so much the bladder. Maybe I'll end up putting a Camelbak bladder in it if this new one goes to shite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Is the tubing the right size to put a Camelbak bite valve on it?

Don't worry, be happy!
    so did you call North Face?

mtbr member
    That's what I thought of trying but alas the tubing is larger and the Camelbak bite valve will not fit.

mtbr member
    I actually got it exchanged at Sport Chalet, where I bought it. Yesterday, I noticed that the top of my pack was wet but when I pulled the new bladder out and flipped it upside down to see if there was a leak.. it didn't. Hmmmm....

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have recently bought a North Face Hammerhead. At first I had the same problem as you initially described. However, if I tighten it further it does eventually seal. It does have to be pretty tight, although nothing silly.

Glad you got your sorted. I actually really like the Nalgene bladder.