mtbr member
    Feb 2010

My New Bike-->2001 Klein Attitude Comp

So I decided to get into Mountain biking after falling in love with road biking last summer. I bought a 2001 Klein Attitude Comp from Craigslist for $300 today. The bike is in GREAT shape except one thing...It looks like the bike has seen very little usage time, but lots of time sitting in a dusty basement...

After looking the frame over for problems (none found, WOW KLEIN MAKES GREAT FRAMES!) I took it for a spin. Going up a hill I heard a hissing sound every time I pushed the front shock down (Manitou SX-R). I hopped off and felt the bottom of the shocks, and found a small amount of oil coming out the right side shock. I believe this means there is some sort of hydraulic oil leak from hopefully a easily replaceable seal...

I mentioned that to the person, and got $50 off the price. I am a little worried, because was told not to bother getting the bike if there was any oil at the bottom of the fork, but I did because the rest of the bike is in PERFECT condition. So I will give a buddy who works at bike shop a call tomorrow and take it over to have him check it out. I am expecting to find that the oil leak will probably cost around $75 bucks, which has me wondering if it is worth it to fix or upgrade. I searched for Rock Shox Dart 3, and found some closeout 2009 models for $140... (wonder if they would fit?) You should see a little trip stain on the front tire of oil from the trip home. The bike is currently propped upside down to prevent any more runoff.

My New Bike-->2001 Klein Attitude Comp-img_2007.jpg

My New Bike-->2001 Klein Attitude Comp-img_2012.jpg

Let me know what you think of the bike, and what I should do about the oil leaking fork, maybe what the cause is?
    Last edited by bhyman1088; 02-26-2010 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Congrats, you got yourself a very nice bike there, and for a bargain price.

The Manitou SX-R is a very good fork even though it is about 10 years old. It is lightweight and buttery smooth when properly maintained; prone to slight fork dive when braking really hard, but it is still better than the much heavier RockShox Dart 3.

If there is an oil leak, then it will have come from the TPC damper unit at the push rod interface - perhaps the seal is degraded or damaged. If this is the case, then just google for the service manual to dissemble the fork lowers for inspection.

I say "if" because it could just be that water has penetrated the upper wiper seals and entered the lowers.

But, don't worry, Manitou forks are incredibly easy to service, it might be just a bit messy but easy nonetheless.

The problem could also be that the Rebound adjuster (black plastic needle-shaped threaded rod with a 4mm or 5mm allen socket - have a closer look at the base of the fork leg through the hole of the big allen bolt) has been unscrewed beyond its thread engagement point so that it no longer forms a proper seal.

If this is the problem, then just insert an allen key into the Rebound adjuster and turn it clockwise gently to fully close the rebound "valve" and engage more of the threads on the rod. The fork is then set to the default max rebound (fast) action - just remember not to unscrew the rebound adjuster too much when making adjustments when you set the fork up according to your weight.

If you do decide to dissemble the fork for a good clean and a full service, then I'd suggest that you use 7wt fork oil in the damper leg; and a viscous (say, 15/40wt) synthetic engine oil in place of the Prep-M grease (about 14ml in each leg) to convert the fork into a semi oil bath model. Add home made foam rings if there is approx a 5mm cavity in the fork lowers below the dust wiper seals.

Btw, discard the fork rubber boots.

Check Enduroforkseals.com if you need replacement fork wiper seals - they work much better than the stock seals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It seems the bike did not come with the rebound adjuster (the black plastic needle...) Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    $300 for that bike with an unexpected fork issue? you got a great deal and imho sometimes with an older bike you have to expect some issues with parts. as long as the frame and most other parts are in decent shape, i say just get the repairs or save some cash and get another fork, new or used.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Below is a spare Rebound rod that I dug out of my spares box, dissembled to show the black plastic needle and the Allen key tool used to remove it:

Hope this helps.

Edit: It is very common to find the plastic rebound knob missing as it was very prone to falling off on the trail if the little o-ring on it was worn or was shrunk by low temperatures. If this is the case, then just use the allen key to make the rebound adjustments.
    Last edited by standard3x; 02-27-2010 at 10:40 AM.