mtbr member
    Apr 2012

My first bike? Gary Fisher Tassajara?

Hi everyone. I'm a total noob but I have been reading this forum a lot trolling the place.
    So I am planning to buy this for $250 used. Is this a decent beginner bike and for the price? I know it's a 09 but my car is a 98 Corolla....so it's pretty dang new for me.

bikereviews-dot-com/mountain-bikes/gary-fisher/2009-gary-fisher/gary-fisher-tassajara-mountain-bike/

Decent? Not sure how you factor in prices for bikes besides looking up at Ebay and Craigslist and seeing what people are selling it for. Thank you in advance and would appreciate any feedback.

mtbr member
    If the bikes fits you right and you like the way it rides, $250 seem a fair price if the bike and all the components are in good shape. Considering that the bike's MSRP was $1079.99 when new, $250 is probably reasonable; I'd recommend trying to haggle a bit on the price.

However, be mindful of purchasing used bikes; one never know for certain how the previous owner(s) treated it. There's no used bike service like Car Fax, so caveat emptor. If the bike lived it's previous life riding on smooth rails-to-trails twice a year and was garaged rest of the year, then it's a great buy. If the bike was the daily rider of its previous owner(s), then 3 years of use will mean many components are well past due for replacement (if not already replaced).
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks you are right about the parts. I will look at brakes, look for cracks, test it for a bit to see how it is. I think he'll drop to 200.

mtbr member
    I have this bike. Bought it used last August for $650, in "hardly ridden" condition. Obviously, condition of a used bike makes a huge difference in the price. Hopefully you're experienced enough with bikes to judge the condition well.

As far as the build specs, it's certainly a far better bike than you will find in the entry level $500-700 range, with it's shimano hydros and rock shox fork. I've got between 150 and 200 hours of hard trail riding on mine since I bought it. I just had the shock oil changed (and was told the shock is still in great shape), and the brakes have not required so much as a single adjustment. I did just have the rear wheel fail on me, but I ride at between 200 and 220lbs so I'm probably pretty hard on wheels. I rode it for a little while after I heard a popping noise and by the time I checked, there were 6 broken spokes and it was crazy out of true. Still, I think they lasted about as long as a wheel in that price range should, and wheels are a good upgrade since they're portable. Here's my bike today with brand new Mavic Crosstrails...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    [QUOTE=Reverend_Maynard;9163327]I have this bike. Bought it used last August for $650, in "hardly ridden" condition. Obviously, condition of a used bike makes a huge difference in the price. Hopefully you're experienced enough with bikes to judge the condition well.

As far as the build specs, it's certainly a far better bike than you will find in the entry level $500-700 range, with it's shimano hydros and rock shox fork. I've got between 150 and 200 hours of hard trail riding on mine since I bought it. I just had the shock oil changed (and was told the shock is still in great shape), and the brakes have not required so much as a single adjustment. I did just have the rear wheel fail on me, but I ride at between 200 and 220lbs so I'm probably pretty hard on wheels. I rode it for a little while after I heard a popping noise and by the time I checked, there were 6 broken spokes and it was crazy out of true. Still, I think they lasted about as long as a wheel in that price range should, and wheels are a good upgrade since they're portable. Here's my bike today with brand new Mavic Crosstrails...
    QUOTE]

Thank you for the insightful post. No, I am afraid I am more of a computer nerd. I don't know anything about bikes other than to rent them at the beach.

mtbr member
    Hmm??? That's why I always hesitate to recommend used to new riders. If you can't judge the condition, it's hard to tell what to pay. Maybe you know someone more experienced who can help? Maybe the seller would consent to you getting it checked out at the LBS before finalizing the sale?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you have a line on one for $250 and the frame and fork are good, buy it. That's a steal. Brakes, derailleurs, grips, wheels, tires, etc. are all fairly cheap to fix or replace ($20-50 each).

And take it from someone who's riding on a coil/pogo Dart fork...your ass pays for it. I wish I could go back and buy a used bike with a air or hydro fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Got it for $197 but the front tire was flat. I believe it's a 03 though (Tassajara GS), the one with the blue seat. Over paid I am sure but oh well, the market didn't seem to offer much here. I saw a Cannondale Chase for $300 but that one seems more like for guys who like to jump a lot.

The bike needs a new front tube; it's flat. I tried putting air in but it won't stay. It has presta valves. It looks like he bent the front one, that's probably why the air leaks out.
    Does anyone know if I can just swap it out for a tube with a shrader vavle instead?.The rear shifter is loose. I think I just need to adjust the cable. I read up on how to buy a used bike before buying it but I am still green. I didn't see any bends or dents on the frame or fork.

The seat is a little stiff. But the first thing I am going to do is just get it going and ride it. I rode it in the parking lot before I bought it and it feels good. Pretty light too.
    Last edited by runnyeggsham; 04-04-2012 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    No, a schraeder will not fit through the hole designed for a presta valve. Sounds like you'll have to buy a new tube, and probably a pump/gauge too. If you're on a real tight budget, you might look for a mini pump with a gauge built in that you can bring with you on rides in case you get a flat. They're not as convenient as a floor pump, but if you get the floor pump you'll still need a portable one. I like the topeak road morph. It's technically for a road bike, but I don't think the mountain morph comes with a gauge, so you'd need to buy that separately. Almost all mini pumps are convertible from presta to schraeder, so no worries there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks. I think I will head to REI and pick me a new tube. I'd go to my LBS but the closest one is far away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by runnyeggsham View Post
    Got it for $197 but the front tire was flat. I believe it's a 03 though (Tassajara GS), the one with the blue seat. Over paid I am sure but oh well, the market didn't seem to offer much here.
    You can try to find the year here based on color scheme.
    BikePedia Text Search for 'Tassajara ' - 30 Results

Yeah, if you live away from a metro area where there's a large variety, it can be tough to find a good deal. That's the main reason I didn't go for the 2009 in that other thread, 60 miles away and it was a medium size, so the fit would've been iffy.

On another note, at your $197 and the few fixes you're going to do, I was going to recommend my bike- the Forge from Target that I caught a sale on and AAA discount in 2010, ended up at about $330.

I just checked the price...my jaw dropped- $559.99...WTF? That's gotta be nearly LBS prices on an entry-level hardtail. Or are they up jacked up to $800 now?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Maynard View Post
    I did just have the rear wheel fail on me, but I ride at between 200 and 220lbs so I'm probably pretty hard on wheels. I rode it for a little while after I heard a popping noise and by the time I checked, there were 6 broken spokes and it was crazy out of true. Still, I think they lasted about as long as a wheel in that price range should, and wheels are a good upgrade since they're portable. Here's my bike today with brand new Mavic Crosstrails...
    Sick Tassajara Maynard.

I can't believe your back wheel failed. Do you do big drops?

When I got my Forge (2010) with its cheap stock double walls I was worried because I was at like 250'ish then and I beat on it the last two summers at this local state park that's only 10min away. There's no big jumps, but there is a small 100 foot rock'ish garden, a lot of 1-foot drops and plenty of stumps/roots/fallen logs and limbs to hit. The front is slightly out of true now, but not terrible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noya View Post
    Sick Tassajara Maynard.

I can't believe your back wheel failed. Do you do big drops?

When I got my Forge (2010) with its cheap stock double walls I was worried because I was at like 250'ish then and I beat on it the last two summers at this local state park that's only 10min away. There's no big jumps, but there is a small 100 foot rock'ish garden, a lot of 1-foot drops and plenty of stumps/roots/fallen logs and limbs to hit. The front is slightly out of true now, but not terrible.
    Thanks, man.

No, no big drops. I was powering over some obstacle and I heard a popping noise. I'm pretty sure that's when it broke at least 1 spoke. I didn't stop and check it out right away, and by the time I did, there were 6 broken spokes and a lot of damage done. The LBS couldn't really get it true again just replacing spokes, as others were breaking. It's a relatively cheap wheel, so it wasn't worth the labor to have all the spokes replaced without also replacing the hub, etc. So, I decided to go with the Mavics that I got a good deal on. I still have the others as spares, and the rear would probably survive another ride or two, but I didn't want to keep pushing it and keep paying to replace spokes.

Big Damn Hero
    My first mountain bike was a 1996 GF Tassajarra that I bought new when I was 16... and I'm still riding and racing it.

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein