mtbr member
    May 2012

My day at Ray's MTB park in Cleveland, Ohio. Edit and pics inside. Hope you enjoy.

My Day at Ray's MTB park in Cleveland, Ohio - YouTube

Here's my edit. Apologies for the spectacularly shitty transitions and overall choppiness. It ain't bad though. Had to work with the footage I had. No music, just natural sounds (with Ray's Guitar Hero-esque soundtrack in the background). Watch in HD.

Ray's MTB park in Cleveland, Ohio, for those of you who may not know, is an indoor bike park of almost incomparable quality. To know a place like this exists...in CLEVELAND of all places, is mind blowing.

This was my first time there and I felt like a fat kid in a Swiss chocolate shop (I've been to Switzerland - those bastards know chocolate). At first I was a little gun shy on some of the obstacles, particularly the things including jumps. But one reason Ray's is so good is because of how wonderfully the place is designed to go from complete beginner to slopestyle expert difficulty with everything in between. Spend enough time in that park, with no prior experience, and I am confident you could tackle just about everything there.

As proof of this, I saw riders young and old. A little girl with her dad, no more than 11 years old (doing lots of obstacles that would make grown men back down in fear) shredding alongside some 40+ year old dude with a hobbled together (though rather sick looking) dirt jump bike of unknown origin. And of course, lots of kids who are just incredible and doing all the **** we watch weekly in Red Bull vids, right next to you, showing you up close how it's done.

The place is freaking magical.

Oh and one more thing, if you have a kid, take them there. You'd think a place like Ray's would scare a lot of parents away. Apparently not. The majority of participants were around age 12-15, I'd wager. Makes me feel pretty good about the future of mountain biking.

Link to pics I took: http://imgur.com/a/KLYbO

GO TO RAY'S (there's also one in Milwaukee [but not quite as good from what I've seen and heard])

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Made my first visit to Ray's last winter. That place is unbelievable.

Old N Slow
    That looks like a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound View Post
    That looks like a lot of fun.
    I learned so much riding there. So many different techniques you can put to use.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Although I'm not much for the XC stuff, this place looks MUCH MUCH more fun that the one near me in Milwaukee.

'11 Opus Strat
    Transferland is awesome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I made it out this year for the first time and it was amazing. If you ever going to be in Cleveland... This is the inky good thing there. You MUST make the extra time to ride. You absolutely will not be let down in any way whatsoever.
    Besides great riding, the main memory i took was that there were so many families riding. I'm sure there will be some shredders coming up through the ranks over the upcoming years due to this place.

mtbr member
    Yeah bros.

Looks fun!

mtbr member
    My feelings exactly I love rays that place is awesome
    I cant wait to do some fat biking there on fat Tuesday in Milwaukee!!!!
    ThanksFatBurger!!!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I would love to ride there...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Gnarly
    I like your video

I've heard so many good things about Ray's.
    It's a 5 hour drive and we would consider a weekend getaway this winter
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Professional Crastinator
    Always a good time at Ray's.

I almost lost my head on that little up-and-down in the back of the expert section. That beam with the caution tape on it is too low for us 6-footers. Stay low!

For those wondering about visiting, Ray's offers hotel packages, and there are plenty of other things to do in Cleveland like the Cuyahoga Valley scenic railroad in Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Park, Lake Erie (frozen, of course), several great local beer options(!), ride the toboggan chutes (they haul the sled for you!), XC skiing and snow shoeing in the Cleveland Metroparks, and plenty of stuff downtown (Rock Hall, Science center, Art museum, Natural History, blah blah blah ).

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Always a good time at Ray's.

I almost lost my head on that little up-and-down in the back of the expert section. That beam with the caution tape on it is too low for us 6-footers. Stay low!

For those wondering about visiting, Ray's offers hotel packages, and there are plenty of other things to do in Cleveland like the Cuyahoga Valley scenic railroad in Cuyahoga Valley Nat'l Park, Lake Erie (frozen, of course), several great local beer options(!), ride the toboggan chutes (they haul the sled for you!), XC skiing and snow shoeing in the Cleveland Metroparks, and plenty of stuff downtown (Rock Hall, Science center, Art museum, Natural History, blah blah blah ).

-F
    To be perfectly honest, if I was getting a hotel deal from Ray's, I would just ride at Ray's every day until I was too exhausted to do anything else but eat and sleep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That place looks like a blast!
    Pedal through it!

mtbr member
    Looks like fun!
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

I'd Huck That....
    I wish it was closer the place looks amazing. We need a place like Rays in New England.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I took my son and his friends there 2 years ago( new years eve).We did the motel package.They had a blast!! It was something i didn't get bored with even for 2 days!!! just wish i would have rented a bike and rode..

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer13 View Post
    I wish it was closer the place looks amazing. We need a place like Rays in New England.
    There's a park being built that's going to be similar (perhaps not in size or diversity) in Pittsburgh. Not New England, but not all that far either.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer13 View Post
    Cranx .... Syracuse, NY

The White Jeff W
    Rode up there last winter. had a blast! There's a similar place opening soon in Pittsburgh, about 10 minutes from where I work.

Wheel Mill
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That is badass! I hope we get something like that here. We have a large covered skate park that is free to use, so you would think that some enterprising businessperson would open a paid bike park. I would be there in a heartbeat, with camera recording of course!