mtbr member
    Apr 2013

My cycle trainer blew up

Hello, this is my first thread I've started so sorry in advance if it is too long or not correct.

anyway about a year or so I borrowed a cycle train from a guy at work. It was very old but in good shape. It is a mag trainer, has an adjuster for resistance,and a cast aluminum flywheel. I started using about twice a week for 6 months missing a week here and there do to work. One day the guy at work says "hey I know you are not a road biker but I used to put my Cannondale on there and peddle as fast as I could just to see how fast I could go" He told me some high MPH, me being 32 he is like 50, I figured I can surly do alot better than him. So a few days later Iím at home pedaling away watching Netflix,and all the sudden I remembered his story. So Iím like what the hell, I set myphone and head phones on the freezer next to me and started pedaling like madman.big ring in the front smallest in the back. I looked down Iím doing like 50, I figure I can go faster so I standup and pedal faster, look down 72,sweet that is really fast. About 5 seconds I hear a loud bang, crack, and parts startflying across the basement floor. My wife and kids come rushing down the stairs to see if I'm ok. I was fine thankfully.

I looked down and the magnetic tensioner's house had split in half, the aluminum disk inside looked like a taco, and all but the center of the aluminumfly wheel was missing. So I started looking around for the fly wheel, it is bright blue so should be easy to find. I looked for about 30 minutes and only found a 1/4 of it, and it is about 5" diameter. So Iím looking and turned around to look up at the back basement way and seen something sticking in the celling. I was like what the hell is that. Here was part of the fly wheel. I triedto pull it out and no luck. I thought it was an inch maybe two long cause that is what was sticking out. I went upstairs to our laundry room, and hollycrap,there was 2 inches sticking up through the floor. So I went back downstairs grabbed onto it with some vise grips and pried it out before my wife seen it. ( I told her a few days later not very happy) the floor is old tongand groove oak with
    linoleum over it. I never found all the pieces to the fly wheel, but I did make new one at work out of steel rather than the cast aluminum, and I was able to glue the plastic housing of the magnetic resistance part back together. looks pretty good I think.

If I can find the photos I took I will post them, however at the moment I canít remember what PC I saved them to.

Anyway Just thought I would share that with you guys. Moral of the story, Donít try to be lance Armstrong in your basement on a 1990s magnetic cycle trainer.OH and no I did not tell him it broke it. thanks for reading have good day.

P.S. I spell checked it for you, you know who you are!!!!

AZ
    banned
    72!!! Cool story.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's pedal not peddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    pics asap

mtbr member
    Bikes belong outside.
    Airdynes belong inside.

See what happens when they cris cross the streams??? Stay Puft Marshmallowman crap all over your laundry room & basement.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy