Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I like pie.

Is my 26er still relevant?

All this talk about how the 26 inch wheel is dead and one must ride a bike with 29 or 27.5 wheel or else.

I am puzzled. My 26 inch wheeled Superlight and steel HT ride as well today as they did in 2008.

Am I out of touch? Have I missed something? With that said I have no issue regarding wheel size. Am I wrong to be content with my 26 inch wheeled bikes? Industry says I ought to be. As do a lot folk on internet forums.

With that said, IMO this site has lame smilies. Could not find one to fit this post.

Edit: this added from post 18. Many folk just read the OP and respond to post one without reading what is said later on. I do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Yep.

This thread was part serious, part tongue-in-cheek. I am sick of the hype. I see the day when they will stop making quality 26" rims and tires and I don't feel like being forced to buy a new frame for the want of a quality 26" wheel. All of the Big Boys no longer offer quality (and some no) 26" bikes.

End of rant. I have nothing against wheel sizes.
    Last edited by Mr5150; 06-24-2014 at 10:09 PM.

mtbr member
    You are not out of touch, 26 is still alive ! Of course I do have a 29er right now but I started out on a 26. I have no doubt that I could ride a 26er just as fast as my 29er.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I used to have a first generation Cannondale SM500 (26"/24") that I'd still take on most technical trails. I think the only tire size that's relegated to the parts bin are the old Schwinn specific 26ish'r.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Have I missed something?.
    A lot of hype.

mtbr member
    26" wheels are dead just like 29er's are just a fad. Neither is true, both are still kickin' and not likely going anywhere anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

Elitest thrill junkie
    If you have to ask the question, no.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Diggity Dog
    Name:  images (3).jpg
Views: 743
Size:  6.1 KB

mtbr member
    26’ers aren’t dead, never will be. Now smilies on the other hand....

beater

All this talk about how the 26 inch wheel is dead and one must ride a bike with 29 or 27.5 wheel or else.

I am puzzled. My 26 inch wheeled Superlight and steel HT ride as well today as they did in 2008.

Am I out of touch? Have I missed something? With that said I have no issue regarding wheel size. Am I wrong to be content with my 26 inch wheeled bikes? Industry says I ought to be. As do a lot folk on internet forums.

With that said, IMO this site has lame smilies. Could not find one to fit this post.
    Are you really puzzled? I subscribe to several magazines, and read the forums. I read maybe half the reviews in Bike, for example, because if I'm not in the market, I'm not real interested. Plus, I get bored of all the lame similes: "climbs like a..." But none of those reviews has ever claimed you must upgrade your bike now, because these days it sucks (!). The only time I see that sentiment, it's from someone who's butthurt about something new being advertised. If you like what you already have, then great. You chose well, and keep enjoying it.

I drive a 1995 Isuzu. It's an orphan; they left the US market years ago. Parts are harder to come by. The mileage sucks, and I would like to get a new vehicle in the future, but it fits my current needs. I'm not complaining about all the rave reviews the new Jetta Sportswagon gets from media or my friends.

Advertising is a fact of modern life. Claiming to see through it is like bragging about dressing yourself.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

High Desert MTBer
    Your 26 inch bike is as relevant as YOU want it to be. YOU are riding it, no one else. Personally, I have 2 x 26 inch bikes, and they are as good for me now as they were the day I finished building them. I have a lot of fun on them, enough for me to handle anyway, so why would I change and probably lose money? Over 25 years of 26" enjoyment is not going to be lightly swayed, certainly not by a large advertising company.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Any bike you enjoy riding is "relevant." At least that's the way I feel about my '02 Superlight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A smile here because for this trip to the cabin I have we brought the 22 year old Fat Chance and 2014 model big wheel, slack, short stay low slung Honzo. My wife and I are same height. She likes the classic Fat Chance and I like the Honzo that's kind of what happens when a steam roller and dirt jumper make a baby.

A friend I ride with broke his classic 26" racer frame and after trying new bikes and getting a warranty replacement sold the new replacement and picked up the same old bike on eBay. I can't catch or keep up with him using my modern gear except for downhill and very rough stuff where that could just mean I'm dumber than he is.

Get what you like and what you can afford.

mtbr member
    By executive action Obama mandates by 2019 trails will no longer accept 26" wheels and we all will need to move to the more efficient 29" or 27.5 whichever is around then, unless the first of the year falls on a Wednesday then there is a 3 year extension.

I'm just kidding if you have a 26" enjoy it if you need to buy an new bike your 26" options will be limited.

mtbr member

Rumor has it that in 2015 all 26" wheel bikes will be banned from trails, per executive order NP-26- RIP...

Ride what you have and just enjoy being out there. I have a 26" FS and 29" steel Rigid. I ride the 29er more, but I love both bikes. No desire to buy into the 27.5 hype at the moment, but who knows what the future holds...

I build my own.
    The industry and folks on internet forums aren't riding your bike, nor are they paying for your new one if you decide to buy one.
    I have a rigid, drop bar, 10 speed road bike that's 40 years old that I ride on trails. Take that Industry.

Is my 26er still relevant?-2012-09-03-13.12.50.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I have a rigid, drop bar, 10 speed road bike that's 40 years old that I ride on trails. Take that Industry.
    Bzzzt...29er.

Do you have fun on your bike?

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Do you have fun on your bike?
    Yep.

This thread was part serious, part tongue-in-cheek. I am sick of the hype. I see the day when they will stop making quality 26" rims and tires and I don't feel like being forced to buy a new frame for the want of a quality 26" wheel. All of the Big Boys no longer offer quality (and some no) 26" bikes.

End of rant. I have nothing against wheel sizes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hope not
    Just bought two 26" bikes

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    --they are as good for me now as they were the day I finished building them. --
    I'm calling BS on your post right here. No one is EVER "finished" building their bike. Haha.

OP, I ride 26 exclusively on my mountain bikes (700c roadies not withstanding), and wouldn't have it any other way. There will always be a market for 26, just as there is still a market (however small) for 24 and 32 wheels. 29 seems to be here to stay, 27.5 maaayybe.

Pretty sure if the market does kill off every brand new 26 design, it will return in a few years time as the "new, lighter, faster handling" wheel size.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    I'm calling BS on your post right here. No one is EVER "finished" building their bike. Haha.

OP, I ride 26 exclusively on my mountain bikes (700c roadies not withstanding), and wouldn't have it any other way. There will always be a market for 26, just as there is still a market (however small) for 24 and 32 wheels. 29 seems to be here to stay, 27.5 maaayybe.

Pretty sure if the market does kill off every brand new 26 design, it will return in a few years time as the "new, lighter, faster handling" wheel size.
    And I'll call your BS call! I finished 'building', but that is not to say I didn't finish maintaining them. Where I live, attrition is high, so I spend a good deal of time replacing, repairing, just finagling, and it's all good!

Oh, and even better is the lower prices we are seeing on 26" stuff around the 'net, while everyone is falling over themselves to keep up with industry-mandated fads... suits me just fine
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member

Re: Is my 26er still relevant?

I'm running a so called 26+ bike, which uses the 26x2.75 tire up front. I'd love to see more tire options(sidewall protection) in this size, but know that new development will focus on 29+ and 27.5+ in the future. Pretty sure the upcoming Maxxis Chronicle will not make it to this wheel size.

I will be forced to run limited/inferior tires to my bigger wheeled counterparts, only due to the fact that the + size revolution only began as the 26" train left town. It's one example where the industry is 'forcing' an update in wheel size in order to get the top shelf parts.

Eventually, maybe the DW 26x2.75 gets discontinued for declining sales? It's not hard to see lines of existing 26" tires being cut from manufacturers offerings in the future due to a weakening market for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Its funny, people act like its Y2K (look that up if you're too young to remember) and if they get past a certain date their 26" bike will stop working. If it was fun last year, it is still going to be fun this year. Just get out and ride and don't worry about the numbers on the sidewall of your tire.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    It's fun to look and dream of having the nicest newest thing, I can admit that. But my 26" brings a sh!t eating grin to my face on a daily basis, even just by seeing it hang on the wall.

The reality is, the majority of the trails we love to go down, a few years back some chump was ripping down it on a 35 lb Mongoose with no suspension and cantilever brakes, having the time of their lives.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    Bzzzt...29er.
    27.5 Pfffft!
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast