Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Obviously not.

Fun riding an irrelevant bike though--floats my boat. I'd keep doing it.

Perpetual n00b
    There's still a wealth of second hand 26er stuff out there too. It's really a buyers market, for now. Eventually, us 26er die hards will be fighting over the last of the good stuff and it will be a sellers market.
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

mtbr member
    If you ride it and it still brings you smiles, then it's still relevant.

I just got done building a 27.5 Flux to see if it can replace or be like my 5 Spot. 120 mm travel vs. 140 mm travel. 27.5 lb vs 26lb. In the end, yes, it does perform as well (and better in some respects) than the Spot. However, it doesn't mean my Spot is any less fun or became none-capable. It was an expensive $6K experiment. I have two awesome bikes in my quiver now. But if you're riding your 26" and like it, don't even waste your time. In fact, there is a myriad of 26" stock for sale on CL and other used sites.

mtbr member
    How do you guys do this?

How do you guys keep starting and posting to these 26er threads?

I've been here way less than a year and if I see one more 26er thread I'll probably get sick. I can't believe the stamina some of you have to see these same threads over and over and over again.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

Perpetual n00b

Re: Is my 26er still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    How do you guys do this?

I've been here way less than a year and if I see one more 26er thread I'll probably get sick. I can't believe the stamina some of you have to see these same threads over and over and over again.

John
    they show up on the latest posts list
    When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

I like pie.
    How do you guys do this?

John
    Don't read them. Simple solution, no?

My take on the subject was unique. Read up:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Yep.

This thread was part serious, part tongue-in-cheek. I am sick of the hype. I see the day when they will stop making quality 26" rims and tires and I don't feel like being forced to buy a new frame for the want of a quality 26" wheel. All of the Big Boys no longer offer quality (and some no) 26" bikes.

End of rant. I have nothing against wheel sizes.
    I do not care who rides what. I care that the market may force me to convert to another wheel size against my will.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think aftermarket parts will always be available if there is a demand.. And with Obama keeping the economy down, the companies will continue to provide products for us.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If you still like to ride it it is.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a ironhorse maverick 4.2 and a specialized hardrock hardtail 29er i have fun on both bikes but for different reasons, 26er is a trail bike and the 29er is mainly a road bike at the moment. The 26er is still quick and nimble on the local mtb trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    After riding & racing a carbon hardtail for 14 years, I decided to upgrade... rented a 29er for a couple days and hated the loss of nimbleness and slower acceleration. Just bought a 26" carbon trailbike and love it. The increased travel and tire size (went from 2.1f/1.9r to 2.4f&r) was more than enough to make my rides more enjoyable. If I get back into racing I'd consider a 27.5 and run tires more narrow than the 2.4s I have now, but I don't think I could ever race on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    New 26ers are half price now, so one could buy 2 of them for considerably less than the cost of an equivalent 27.5 or 29er.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    New 26ers are half price now, so one could buy 2 of them for considerably less than the cost of an equivalent 27.5 or 29er.
    Where?

mtbr member
    Any bike you ride is relevant. Wheel size is irrelevant.

Brackish

I just bought a used 26" hardtail for a third of what someone had put into it in parts, I love it!

I Have Gnarly Potential
    Only thing that does kind of suck is that I'm starting to see high end wheel companies like Enve skipping 26" in their product linup for XC/Trail rims.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Where?
    I just bought a new 2013 Mount Vision XM8 at the Marin factory store in San Francisco. $1899. The current model (which is a 27.5) is about $4K.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    That's a sweet deal. Funny thing, still haven't seen a decent steel 26" HT frame for more than fifteen or twenty percent off. Was looking for a couple months.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

what you missed?

answer is pretty simple, when you try selling that incredible 26" bike report back on the offers and the final price. this is where you will discover what you are missing.

T.W.O.
    Relevant? Why not?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do the wheels still go round and round?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    I do not care who rides what. I care that the market may force me to convert to another wheel size against my will.
    Unfortunately industry always has and always will force people to convert to something new. A lot of it has to do with bringing in new customers or promoting a product that will work better for more people. All of it has to with making money.

All the people who had 27" wheel road bikes back in the day eventually had no quality rim choices as time went on and had to go to a larger 700c wheels or cheap steel rims.

The 6 speed to 7 speed to 8 speed to 9 speed to... has been pushed by industry and I imagine it would be tough to find high quality thumb or downtube shifters being produced, except there might be some high end boutique ones. But low end stuff is still available.

If you had a mountain bike with 1" steerer tube and cantilever brakes it was soon replaced by 1-1/8" and v-brakes which have been replaced by disc brakes not to mention that 1-1/8 straight steerers are also quickly disappearing.

So to answer your question from the bicycle industry's perspective, not from a rider perspective... your 26" is no more relevant than anything else that the industry has moved away from.

John

T.W.O.
    Unfortunately industry always has and always will force people to convert to something new. A lot of it has to do with bringing in new customers or promoting a product that will work better for more people. All of it has to with making money.

John
    Industry wish that they can force us to do anything or buy anything. They can only react and respond to us. They are in general the opposite of bringing new things to the table. They'd just "tweak" what that have and call it the latest and greatest must have. I wish that was the case then we'd be using new drivertrain, or other things already. They don't want to tip the both.

The last time that I remember a manufacture "force" something to us it backfired to an epic proportion. Remember Shimano DualControl? Yeah that, it gave birth to their strongest competitor Sram, now Sram competes with Shimano in every platform road, mountain, highend low end, brakes, drivetrain, even suspensions.

The reason why 29er got the boost is because it was the right time and right place, XC racers, and beginners can now enjoy the flip side of the big wheel that "roll" over anything. It's hardly the whole truth but it sticks.

650b is even a faster growing trend than 29er but by the enthusiasts, it started as a conversion and just exploded from there.

All of these made possible by Users not exactly the industry.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013

All the people who had 27" wheel road bikes back in the day eventually had no quality rim choices as time went on and had to go to a larger 700c wheels or cheap steel rims.

The 6 speed to 7 speed to 8 speed to 9 speed to... has been pushed by industry and I imagine it would be tough to find high quality thumb or downtube shifters being produced, except there might be some high end boutique ones. But low end stuff is still available.

If you had a mountain bike with 1" steerer tube and cantilever brakes it was soon replaced by 1-1/8" and v-brakes which have been replaced by disc brakes not to mention that 1-1/8 straight steerers are also quickly disappearing.

So to answer your question from the bicycle industry's perspective, not from a rider perspective... your 26" is no more relevant than anything else that the industry has moved away from.

John
    Actually, you can still buy aluminum 27" rims.
    FWIW, the bead seat on 27" is 630mm, 700C is smaller, at 622mm.
    All the retro grouches rock 27 because it just rolls right over stuff that would stop a 700C in it's tracks.

mtbr member
    I'm not so sure that Shimano's Dual Control has propelled SRAM. Their original lawsuit is probably what kept them in business and gave them the capital to continue. They have also made a number of acquisitions to broaden their product lines.

They definitely took advantage of that stupid idea and they backed it up with good components, plus they have re-introduced the Gripshift for their high end systems, good for them.

John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Actually, you can still buy aluminum 27" rims.
    I imagine you can, but the point is there probably is not too much money being spent on developing innovative high end 27" wheels.

And yes 700c is a 622mm, which is smaller. The last 27incher I had may have been a Schwinn Varsity, or possibly a cheap Sears bike. I couldn't remember which one had problems with the brake reach, but I remember that one wheel wouldn't always work in the other size frame. That is a long time ago.

John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast