Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Dude…you're so out of touch. Gravity passed the 26's by years ago…I doubt they'll even roll now that 27.5 and 29's are on the market.

Never Forget 9-11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    Am I out of touch? Have I missed something?
    The countless other wheel size threads

Quote Originally Posted by ShinDiggity View Post

I have no idea why anyone cares about what others think about their wheel size choice. All that matters is you like what you ride. Someone elses opinion of my bike does nothing to change the smile on my face after a great ride.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    All this talk about how the 26 inch wheel is dead and one must ride a bike with 29 or 27.5 wheel or else.

I am puzzled. My 26 inch wheeled Superlight and steel HT ride as well today as they did in 2008.

Am I out of touch? Have I missed something? With that said I have no issue regarding wheel size. Am I wrong to be content with my 26 inch wheeled bikes? Industry says I ought to be. As do a lot folk on internet forums.

With that said, IMO this site has lame smilies. Could not find one to fit this post.
    No, but the industry is out of it's mind.

Just this weekend I refurbished a 2006 model bike that a friend inherited. It was in excellent condition. Originally retailed for $800 - had hayes hydro discs, 9-speed, a rockshox fork and aluminum frame. Pretty nice bike actually for the money. We put some kevlar bead semi-slicks and flat pedals on it, and a shorter stem. It will see recreational paved/dirt road riding.

The equivalent in today's dollars is about $900-$950. What does that get you? Errrr...pretty the same exact same thing except (heavy, flexy) 29" wheels, usually a cheap suntour fork and no name brakes. Same alivio to LX parts mix with no-name hubs though.

Clearly, the 29er push had to be made because there really hasn't been a compeling reason to buy a new bike in the last 5-10 years.
    Last edited by turbodog; 06-23-2014 at 11:03 AM.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

mtbr member
    All this talk about how the 26 inch wheel is dead and one must ride a bike with 29 or 27.5 wheel or else.

I am puzzled. My 26 inch wheeled Superlight and steel HT ride as well today as they did in 2008.

Am I out of touch? Have I missed something? With that said I have no issue regarding wheel size. Am I wrong to be content with my 26 inch wheeled bikes? Industry says I ought to be. As do a lot folk on internet forums.
    I just completed a nice 37 mile ride on my 26" hard tail. It rides as well now in 2014 as it did when I built in 2003. The trails are still there just like they were in 2003 and can ride them just now as I did then. The only limitation is my own fitness and skill.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Team Livemedium
    No. I'm riding my 26 while my 29er is getting worked on. Way more endo-ie.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    No. I'm riding my 26 while my 29er is getting worked on. Way more endo-ie.
    Oooh...this should be fun to watch.

Ride Instigator
    I built a new bike last year. I always had 26" before that time but was thinking perhaps I should go big wheel like the rest of the world. I got some good long rides on about 6 different 29er models and while the difference in handling was interesting, I still preferred the snappier handling of a 26" bike. I ended up finding a smokin' deal on a 26" carbon FS frame so I went that route and couldn't be happier. The new rig would have cost me a good amount more if I had gone the big wheel route so my wallet is happy too.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Do you have fun on your bike?
    this.

each wheel size has its own attributes/deficits. ride what you have the most fun on.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I have a rigid, drop bar, 10 speed road bike that's 40 years old that I ride on trails. Take that Industry.
    yup, me too. but with a flat bar and fixed.

completely different kind of fun than my "latest/greatest" stuff.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I love 26ers... Parts are cheap. That's why I stay 8 speed, though I will most likely move to a 2x10 setup next year.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Perpetual n00b

Re: Is my 26er still relevant?

The industry is out of its mind if it thinks it can convince me to replace this!

When the chicks at school see how gay we are, they're gonna be all over us.

Singletrackmac
    Am I wrong to be content with my 26 inch wheeled bikes?
    Don't get caught up in the marketing hype. I bet Jared Graves is pretty content with his 26" as well as his first place podium finish at the Enduro World Series round 3. All those 650bs and 29ers and a 26" comes in first. How can that possibly happen? Did someone in the mtb marketing department forget to tell Graves the 26er is dead?

I hope Yeti brings back the SB66, gotta wonder why their pros choose to ride the discontinued 26" instead of the new SB-75. Then they go and win on the 26".

Is my 26er still relevant?-graves-26er.jpg
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

Perpetual n00b

Re: Is my 26er still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Don't get caught up in the marketing hype. I bet Jared Graves is pretty content with his 26" as well as his first place podium finish at the Enduro World Series round 3. All those 650bs and 29ers and a 26" comes in first. How can that possibly happen? Did someone in the mtb marketing department forget to tell Graves the 26er is dead?

I hope Yeti brings back the SB66, gotta wonder why their pros choose to ride the discontinued 26" instead of the new SB-75. Then they go and win on the 26".
    I can't wait to hear the excuses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Numbers sell.. Anyone remember a time when wheels were wheels? I don't mind choices, but for a company to say that this one bike is the best for YOU, I'm gonna have to make that choice myself. I'm 5'6 and I find the 26 wheel the best for me. I've ridden 29ers and they were too much bike for my style of riding. And that happens. I don't think 26ers are going anywhere for a while.

mtbr member

With that said, IMO this site has lame smilies. Could not find one to fit this post.
    26" is totally dead and gone...Waste Management is charging a premium to haul a 26" to a landfill...and the stainless spokes will be there forever. Fortunately they are those short little 26" wanabees...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This is all just silly! Are you in the market for a new bike or not? If so, read the reviews do the research and buy whatever latest thing you like best and enjoy it. If your not in the market for a new bike who cares whats out there, just ride.

Do you buy a new car every time they come out with a new gimmick? No. Do you get upset that they try to market new cars to the public even though your car is still working just fine even if it doesn't have Bluetooth? Of course not! Now if your car is 12 years old with 237k miles on it and your getting tired of fixing it as it seems everything is wearing out at once, well now perhaps its time to go shopping for a new car, and while your at it, check out the new features. You may find you like some of the new stuff.

Bikes are no different, when your bike is old and tired and it's time to be put out to pasture, then start reading up on suspension, wheel size, geometry ect. But until then, stop reading and go ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I can't wait to hear the excuses.
    Looks pretty fast to me.....

WINNING BIKE: Jared Graves' Yeti SB66c - WINNING BIKE: Jared Graves' Yeti SB66c - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    Looks pretty fast to me.....
    Indeed, it does. So I'm waiting to hear the excuses from the industry how a 26er could still be winning races.

beater

Is my 26er still relevant?

Don't go out of your way to be tiresome. Nobody is going to make excuses for Graves being fast. On the other hand, Leov won 3 stages. It always comes down to the rider.

In the specific case of Yeti, of course Graves is riding a SB66. The SB75 and SB95 both end in "5." They aren't the burly AM bikes that the SB66 is. I've ridden them. Maybe Graves will stick with the 66 if (more likely when) Yeti does a SB76. Maybe he won't. I'm sure Yeti is thrilled with the weekend's result, regardless of which frame.

Yeti, Turner, and probably some others I can't think of, are on record that they would have continued building and selling 26" wheels, if there had been enough buyers. There weren't. Maybe Yeti and Turner weren't at "The Industry's" secret torchlight cabal and didn't get the memo. But since they're running businesses, not hobbies, they're making what sells in the numbers they need.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just brought my ss 26er in to the lbs this afternoon. I don't think I saw one new 26er in the whole shop. I'm holding onto mine because I like it, but one of the owners who was helping me with a stem fit said that the 26 is almost a thing of the past or non-existent.
    I wonder if they are going to eliminate the 26 so it makes it harder and harder to get parts therefore one will be forced to buy either a 27.5 or 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I doubt because a lot if the parts companies don't make bikes so they have nothing to gain by stopping production on products that sell. You might stop seeing shops stocking much of a selection.. But besides wheels tires and forks, everything else is the same.. And those are things where buying online is cheaper anyways so most of us are already skipping the lbs on those purchases.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin View Post
    Just brought my ss 26er in to the lbs this afternoon. I don't think I saw one new 26er in the whole shop. I'm holding onto mine because I like it, but one of the owners who was helping me with a stem fit said that the 26 is almost a thing of the past or non-existent.
    I wonder if they are going to eliminate the 26 so it makes it harder and harder to get parts therefore one will be forced to buy either a 27.5 or 29.
    Nah, 26" will be back in a hurry when 650b sales fail to live up to expectations this summer, and 29er sales slump off.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The problem is that anyone who doesn't want a 29er is going to have to buy a 27.5 cause that's all there is. I think 26ers will make a come back though, they aren't gone for good. They are still the standard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    The problem is that anyone who doesn't want a 29er is going to have to buy a 27.5 cause that's all there is. I think 26ers will make a come back though, they aren't gone for good. They are still the standard.

No, there is still a very reasonable variety of mid and high end 26" bikes on the market, 2014 models!
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I look in the 4 lbs' I go to and they don't really have anything worth riding. Maybe its cause I'm in long Island where the majority of people have money to blow

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast