Hazardous to your health!

is my 2001? 2003? gary fisher tarpon worth rebuilding?

hi guys, the gary fisher tarpon i have, i bought (probably paid like 250 for it) when i was 15 and i beat the snot out of it, i never lubed it up or anything like that because i wasnt aware of proper bike care. and a few years ago, i got the genius idea to paint the bike and i started using it again and then bought a new bike shortly after that. its been sitting for about 2 years now outside because i dont want it in the garage and i dont know what to do with it. the size still fits me right now so thats not an issue.

i dont have a cyclocross bike or a road bike and id really like to have one so i dont have to swap out tires everytime my gf feels like going on a long road ride. so itd be nice to possibly rebuild this bike into a cyclocross bike despite the weight of the frame.

the specs: i am assuming that these are the correct specs off an archive online.
    Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Chromoly seat tube/hi-tensile steel
    Fork Brand & Model RST 191 CL, 63mm travel
    Fork Material Aluminum, single crown
    Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Aluminum linear-pull brakes, Shimano EF-29 levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Altus EF-29
    Front Derailleur Shimano C051
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Altus
    Crankset Suntour XCC-100, 28/38/48 teeth
    Pedals Nylon
    Bottom Bracket Sealed cartridge
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs 7-speed, 13 - 30 teeth
    Chain KMC Z51, 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Aluminum micro-adjust
    Saddle Fisher ATB
    Handlebar Aluminum, 1.25" rise
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Aluminum threadless
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless aluminum

Wheels
    Hubs Aluminum, Q/R
    Rims Matrix 550, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 1.95" Bontrager Connection
    Spoke Brand Stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm) straight gauge
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

broken shifter cover, still works though haha

rusty chain yay!

i definitely want it to be a rigid set up, the front and back chain rings seem okay, (i painted over the rear chainrings (is this a deal breaker?) this bike has rim brakes, where the brakes sit onto the frame to pivot, i painted that (oops) and can sand the paint off.

also the last time i took the bike in, the guys said it seemed like the axle was cut and was amazed that i havnt crashed so i assume that means i need a new hub (possibly just get a whole new rim set up)

since it has been sitting outside, some water has gotten into the fork and who knows where else it has gotten since it doesnt have a seat post in it right now.

sorry for making this long, the goal would be to have the bike set up for regular road riding, and maybe some mountain biking but nothing too rough where i would need top of the line stuff. and on top of this, this is gonna be a way to force myself to learn how to work on bikes without actually working on the one i currently ride.

opinions, advice, component suggestions, etc!
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

and a bunch of numbers thrown out would be cool too!
    Last edited by hazardousmtb; 04-27-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That bike looks like you pulled it out of a dumpster. I don't mean to be mean, but trying to resurrect that bike is not worth it, at least monetarily. It would cost you more to get that bike running properly then it cost to buy new. Even if it were brand new, its not a very nice bike. Unless you have some kind of sentimental attachment to it I would not put any money into it. For the type of riding you want to do, you probably should get a cheap cyclocross bike or 29er. Bikesdirect has some pretty cheap, decent quality bikes.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29Trail
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    That bike looks like you pulled it out of a dumpster. I don't mean to be mean, but trying to resurrect that bike is not worth it, at least monetarily. It would cost you more to get that bike running properly then it cost to buy new. Even if it were brand new, its not a very nice bike. Unless you have some kind of sentimental attachment to it I would not put any money into it. For the type of riding you want to do, you probably should get a cheap cyclocross bike or 29er. Bikesdirect has some pretty cheap, decent quality bikes.

Save up to 60% off new Road Bikes - Gravity Liberty 2 | Save up to 60% off new road bikes

i dont really have any sentimental attachment to it but kinda. i just hate to throw away frames that are perfectly good, i just rebuilt a early 90s road bike for my girlfriend for 63 bucks total (i had the shop do it but still) and she loves it! i just really hate switching to road tires, i dont even have the abilty to lock my fork anymore since the knob came off...

i have a an old rear derailer that probably still works, tires, handlebar, handlebar grips and they can all go on the bike and i know my local bike shop sells a compatible rigid fork for 30 dollars

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well I guess it all depends on how well you want the bike to ride. If you are just riding it around the block, then yeah you can just slap on a rigid fork a new chain and grips and call it a day.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Well I guess it all depends on how well you want the bike to ride. If you are just riding it around the block, then yeah you can just slap on a rigid fork a new chain and grips and call it a day.
    haha not quite just around the block, a little bit better!

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Good singlespeed candidate.

^ i have considered this but i dont think itd be good for the road haha

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Former C-Dale addict
    If the frame is undamaged:

Tear everything apart and make it a nice urban bike. Perhaps 8-speed with a single chainring up front.

If frame is damaged (Cracks, deep dents/gouges, etc.) :

Huck it off a parking Garage.
    Clever Signature

Life Is Short

I have to agree. Also who's the neat freak who painted the bike and forgot to use
    masking tape. Sell it on CL for $10 and save up for a nice bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K View Post
    If the frame is undamaged:

Tear everything apart and make it a nice urban bike. Perhaps 8-speed with a single chainring up front.

If frame is damaged (Cracks, deep dents/gouges, etc.) :

Huck it off a parking Garage.
    im leaning more towards a light duty rigid mtb or a road bike with road tires

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    I have to agree. Also who's the neat freak who painted the bike and forgot to use
    masking tape. Sell it on CL for $10 and save up for a nice bike.
    me i dont really care about the paint job, although i might repaint it for the heck of it.

now, for this picture, you can see the piece the frame sits on (the "axle" is broken), what do i need to replace, the hub? at least i think its a hub

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

btw, frame is undamaged and everything else seems to be undamaged except the wheel ^^ and the shifter, rims need to be tuned.

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

^^ bump

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    I wouldn't throw it away, but I wouldn't ride it either. I not only looks like it was pulled out of a dumpster, but a dumpster in a really poor part of town. You'll look like a homeless guy riding it, but on the other hand you probably wouldn't need a lock. I'd give it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, but don't throw it away. You'd be better off with a Bikes Direct bike or a decent used one. This one is too far gone to be economical to repair in my opinion. Not trying to be mean about it though, but I'd ditch it.