mtbr member

MTBproject.com changed my mountain bike life

That may be a bit over-dramatic but it's true. And, no, I'm not affiliated with them -- I'm just a happy user.

I'm late to the party but I just discovered this app. It solves the number one problem I have with being a solo mountain biker who loves to explore: Finding new rides. Note the exact wording, I said finding new rides, not just finding good trails.

It's easy to find new trails. A few posts in the local forums here or a few web searches will reveal loads of trails. Search for "Pisgah mountain bike trails" and see what pops up. Dozens of trails. But the challenge with new trails is a) navigating them without a guide or detailed local directions and b) putting together the right combination of trails that result in a great ride.

MTBproject solves both and it solves them elegantly. Instead of just showing trails, like many websites and apps, it combines trails into "Featured Rides" so you can quickly and easily get the best out of the area. So you don't just see, for example, Dupont State Park, with its 30+ trails. You see them, but you also see "Best of Dupont - Burnt Mt./Big Rock" to make an epic ride out of the best trails. The app gives turn by turn directions AND your GPS position on the actual trail map.

Another fun feature is the "virtual ride" button. That puts you on a 3D map of the ride and then runs you through the entire route. It's great to see after you've done the ride and you remember each section as the virtual ride flies through it.

If you love to ride new trails, this app and website is a must have.

Oh, and it's free.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Intriguing.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm not seeing the virtual ride nor the featured ride options. I just see a map of the trails and that's it. I'm using the Moab trails as a test. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Hover your mouse on the map over any trail. It will pop up a window which shows you the Featured Ride that the trail is a part of (if any) and the trail itself.

If the trail is part of a ride (sometimes they are one-in-the-same), click the ride and it will bring up the page for that ride. The Virtual Ride is only available for Rides, not trails so once you get to the page for a ride, the Virtual Ride button is the big red button in the Overview section.

So let's use Utah as an example. Just type "Slickrock" in the search window at the top. It will bring up two Slickrock rides. The famous Utah one and some other one in Wyoming or something. Click on the Utah one. Slickrock is an example of a trail that's also a ride (pretty rare, in my area) so the page that comes up will be the Featured Ride and will have the Virtual Ride button.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice to see someone likes and uses MTBProject since it sounds like the folks who put up the trails / rides think it is more difficult than it should be.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    Nice to see someone likes and uses MTBProject since it sounds like the folks who put up the trails / rides think it is more difficult than it should be.
    It's not easy

I adopted one of my local trails that had no description but all the GPS points. The Ride is basically a large figure-8 made up of two loops with the parking area between them. Separating the Ride into two trails and then combining the two trails back into a Ride was certainly not straightforward!

The rest of it is very easy and the interface they've made is slick. When working on a trail or ride, anything nearby is linked in the margin. If you need to copy-paste some text from a trail to use in the description of the ride, you just click it in the margin and the text appears in the same margin. If you use any other trail or ride names in your description, they are automatically linked. etc.

I just love this app. There are several rides in my area that I've been meaning to hit but haven't because of the lack of clear routes, good maps, and detailed directions. I'll hit each of those in the next couple of months now that I have this app.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Hover your mouse on the map over any trail. ........
    "Mouse"? So its only available via their website? The App doesn't have that feature?

mtbr member

MTBproject.com changed my mountain bike life

Tapping the trail on the app works the same way. Here's the menu that pops up when I tap the trail I rode Saturday. The Featured Ride is Green Lick / Ingles Field.

It looks like the virtual ride is only available on their website. It uses Google Earth as it's engine.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'll endorse it too! I discovered it this past fall as I had some trips to different parts of the country. It let me find some great trails that I wouldn't probably have found otherwise. I had even got some "direction" to trails from a couple of LBS's and had a tough time finding them. MTB Project gave directions to follow in my iPhone, guidance on where, and where not to, park. The GPS overlay on the trails is particularly valuable for a first timer on remote trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like the site, pretty useful... not sure though if its just so-cal but doesn't seem to be as many trails listed as could be. Or... people just don't want to give up their trails... yes I think that is it.

I'm your density
    I like it.

I noticed it is lacking some popular trails in one of our local networks, and I'm tempted to add them in. KevinGT's post put me off a little bit since I only have GPX files of rides that cover multiple trails. Is it easy enough to correct and/or delete stuff if I bork it up?
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gzank6 View Post
    I like the site, pretty useful... not sure though if its just so-cal but doesn't seem to be as many trails listed as could be. Or... people just don't want to give up their trails... yes I think that is it.
    It's time consuming to add content to the site. most people don't want to invest the time. probably the simplest answer.

Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I like it.

I noticed it is lacking some popular trails in one of our local networks, and I'm tempted to add them in. KevinGT's post put me off a little bit since I only have GPX files of rides that cover multiple trails. Is it easy enough to correct and/or delete stuff if I bork it up?
    there's a learning curve, but worst case scenario, if you can't fix what you've done, you can ask them to delete the whole thing.

mtbr member
    I've found adding things to the site can be super buggy. Also some of my trails that I submitted have gone back to the edit stage but no reason. I'm not sure if they were rejected by an admin or if it's just another bug in the site. Until they can get all the issues with the site worked out I'm done adding things.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    I've found adding things to the site can be super buggy. Also some of my trails that I submitted have gone back to the edit stage but no reason. I'm not sure if they were rejected by an admin or if it's just another bug in the site. Until they can get all the issues with the site worked out I'm done adding things.
    I haven't run across anything I'd call a bug. Procedural things I have to adapt to, yes.

As for stuff being sent back for editing, IME, it's usually because of the text portion of the listing. The folks doing the reviewing know me by now, and sometimes we will have lengthy conversations about submissions before I actually do any revisions so I am absolutely clear what they want, and they are absolutely clear of the way things are on the ground.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    It is very cool indeed. I planned all my El Paso and Tucson MTB rides in November with it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I love it. Great for when I'm traveling and can take a bike (or rent one).

However, don't discount the joy of getting lost. I used it to plan a ride in Annadel State Park in Sonoma County, CA, but took a wrong turn - and I'm glad I did, because some of what ended up being favorite sections I wouldn't have ridden, or would have ridden in the other direction.

mtbr member
    I tried using it on a new trail and running Strava in the background. I kept getting gps errors. I'm wondering if two apps running on an iPhone are competing for the gps and only one can win? I'm not too techie so let me know if I'm doing something wrong. I'm 66 y/o and went from a pph directly to a smartphone.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Weakened Warrior
    Jan 2013
    MTBProject is still growing, but it is the first place I check when researching new areas because they tend to have better quality control than other sites that seem more like a data dump of gpx files. I suppose the challenge of learning how to submit trails and reviews ensures some minimum level of competence and commitment.

I am an older, solo rider who mixes in photography with my biking, and MTBProject gives me a good overall feel for the quality of the ride and helps me know when I may be getting in over my head (which is not always a bad thing).

addicted to chunk
    I love it. Wonderful idea!

When I travel for work I try to bring my bike when possible. It's very time consuming to find good rides in a place you've never been. Trying to sort through lists by nearest town, when you don't know the names of any of the nearest towns! Many websites or forums will list the popular trails, but not necessarily the best cool trails. hard to filter through the good ones.

MTBproject fixes all that, lets you scroll around on the map & see what is near. See the difficulty of the trail. Pics & elevation etc. it's fantastic.

I've only added one or two myself, pretty easy not too bad.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I like mtbproject, but in my opinion trailforks.com is more useful. It has more complete maps and it's easy to put gpx files on my phone from the site.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think it depends on the app. I can run Cyclemeter and MTB simultaneously, but neither with Strava. I can run Cyclemeter and Trainer Road together with Heart Rate monitor, but not with cadence/speed sensor.

Hermit
    Yeah, but no.

Trailforks is where I'm putting my money in this race. Easier to use.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/