Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

MTB n' Sport Watch

Guys,

Just wondering what kind of watch do you wear when you go biking ... I am thinking about Casio Pathfinder (compass, temp, alt, bar) or Casio GShock ...

Or any other brand? Timex, Polar ???

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sengkenken
    Guys,

Just wondering what kind of watch do you wear when you go biking ... I am thinking about Casio Pathfinder (compass, temp, alt, bar) or Casio GShock ...

Thanks!
    None. I do not like a watch bouncing around on my wrist or getting snagged on things.

I use a Garmin Edge 305 GPS computer on my bars.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    None. I do not like a watch bouncing around on my wrist or getting snagged on things.

If your watch bounces around, then you might wanna tighten the strap a bit. Snagged on things? Really? For a while I used a Polar. The altimeter was crap and the thing eventually self destructed during a shallow water swim. So I'd say the whole thing was pretty much crap. Just get a plain watch for time keeping. If you want more info. try a Suunto. Or one of those fancy handlebar mounted gizmos that Shiggy mentioned. They also make wrist mounted versions.

plasma donor
    Can't do watches anymore. Too uncomfortable. My phone gives me time, speed, altitude, compass, map with satellite view, music, text, email, phone, and video. I can also upload my position so loved ones who became concerned could come find me.

How do I do that?
    Guys,

Thanks!
    I think your headed in the right direction. I'm a watch nut when it comes to mechanical pieces and I usually 'need' to have one on my wrist. To be honest, I feel naked without one.

That being said, since I didn't own a digital watch and the Seiko Samurai I was riding with was my beater watch that I didn't want to beat , I bought one of these inexpensive Casio's with a compass feature. It's not as fancy as a Pathfinder but it's also a lot cheaper so if I break it while riding, it's not that big deal. The compass feature does come in handy but I guess a $2 compass will do the same thing and it won't ever let me down with a dead batt.

I like it though, it's strictly used as my riding watch.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Digital-...1263974&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65
    If your watch bounces around, then you might wanna tighten the strap a bit.
    Then it binds and is uncomfortable.
    Snagged on things? Really?
    Really. Have not worn a watch on the bike for 25+ years for all the above reasons.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Usage

What do you want to use the watch for? This may be the first question you want to answer. If its just time then some old plonker will do. If you want some more ride input I'd go along the lines of Suntto and Garmin. Stay away from Polar, absolute crap!!!!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    No watch here either. A watch doesn't fit under or next to armour, it has the crap scratched out of it in a crash.

I use my phone, which slips into the shoulder strap of my pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks all ...

well for long ride, I have my camelbak and throw my phone in there. But even that, I don't like to stop just to check on time.

for shorter ride (my house is so close to the trail), I ride light without backpack, just water bottle on my jersey. I don't even bring my phone. I am thinking about Garmin unit, but I like my bike clean from accessories except small topeak pouch on the saddle for patch kit.

I guess I need watch for time, compass and stopwatch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy

Shiggy, how's the accuracy/reception of 305 in the trail with lot of tall trees? have you tried during heavy rain?

thanks

mtbr member
    I also run, so I use my Garmin Forerunner 405. It works pretty good, and is water resistant to 3 feet. Haha. At least that must mean it is sweat proof, just don't dive into the river with it on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't have a watch, I use the sun to estimate the hour, I'm usually bang on, +/- 5 hrs.

If you get an analog watch, you can smash the glass and bend the hands to make a neat sundial you can tell time with.

pedal pusher
    I have a clock on my cyclocomputer, so no watch is necessary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have one of these, http://www.highgear.com/prod/Axis11....TOKEN=38350628 and really like it.

mtbr member
    I have a Casio Pathfinder watch that I do all of my rides with, other than races. It has the altimeter, thermomoter, compass, barometer etc....

I have never snagged it while riding thousands of miles of single track. It may look a bit on the bulky side, but it is very light weight as well. I have enjoyed my watch and would recommend them highly.
    BoiseBoy

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    I also run, so I use my Garmin Forerunner 405. It works pretty good, and is water resistant to 3 feet. Haha. At least that must mean it is sweat proof, just don't dive into the river with it on.
    this is what I use as well.
    mike

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    I have 3 watches all have dead bateries. the only one I'd consider replacing teh batteris in is my HRM, even when it worked i didn't wear while riding trails. Road for training rides when HR was part of the drill yes but on trail it;s just go time. If I need to know when to stop riding I use the clock on my cycle computer.

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    ...the Seiko Samurai I was riding with was my beater watch that I didn't want to beat ...
    SS or Ti? That's an awful nice beater.

I wouldn't dream of riding with my Sumo (or Monster, or 007) - too bulky, even if I swapped the bracelets out for rubber.

I've got a Festina 8801 that I wear on the road bike, and a Nike Oregon that I wear off road, if I wear a watch at all.

EDIT: To the OP - if you decide on a G-Shock, take the time to find one you like, becuase it won't die. Ever.
    Last edited by Slow Eddie; 08-27-2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

Dirt Deviant
    The only time I wear a watch while riding is if I am wearing a HRM.
    I find watches to be a complete and total b!tch if you wear a camelback.
    Gets snagged everytime I put on or take off the pack.
    Which isn't very often on a ride, but the times you do it sux.
    Been snagged on armor too.
    Never had a problem snagging on brush or shrubs though.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Suunto X10 or X10Mi... I have the Suunto X9Mi and love it, wish I could upgrade to the X10 though.
    http://www.suuntowatches.com/Suunto-...FdRS2godgmEbgA

Shiggy, how's the accuracy/reception of 305 in the trail with lot of tall trees? have you tried during heavy rain?

thanks
    No issues other than one ride in a narrow river gorge. Accurate in one direction, much less so in the other.

Minor deviations (10-20meters) are normal.
    mtbtires.com

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    SS or Ti? That's an awful nice beater.

I wouldn't dream of riding with my Sumo (or Monster, or 007) - too bulky, even if I swapped the bracelets out for rubber.

I've got a Festina 8801 that I wear on the road bike, and a Nike Oregon that I wear off road, if I wear a watch at all.

EDIT: To the OP - if you decide on a G-Shock, take the time to find one you like, becuase it won't die. Ever.
    Orange dialed Ti on rubber. But yeah, thats why I don't wear it while I ride anymore. I guess it's a rather bulky watch to wear while riding a bike but it never bothered me before

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Why care about the real world when you're out riding?
    Leave electronics at home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    Why care about the real world when you're out riding?
    Leave electronics at home.
    ?? when I go for a week day morning ride, I have to be at home for work. I just use the time on my Garmin 305.

mtbr member
    If I go for a ride and have to worry about what time it is, then I'm not really enjoying it as much as I can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast