mtbr member
    May 2011

MTB exercise effects on the Brain

How Exercise May Help Memory - NYTimes.com

So if weight training and endurance training both provide somewhat separate benefits, perhaps mountain biking does both?

No doubt mtb riding is endurance, but it's also got a lot in common with high-rep weight training, especially if you ride ss or otherwise push big gears up steep hills.

Anybody familiar with more literature that might be relevant? I always like confirming that what I do is good for me!

b a n n e d
    There are myriad scientific papers on the connection between brain health and physical health. It is certainly a widely accepted notion at this point.

How familiar are you with searching the empirical literature (e.g., PubMed, Web of Science, etc.)? Unless you have some sort of access via an educational institution, most of it will not be accessible to you though.

Exercise has also been associated with slowing age-related cognitive decline.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    While I don't have any more literature to point at, and I'm no doctor, I can speculate, and have personal experience.
    -Would think diet would play a role, and type/quality of diet is also personal.
    -Would think for the very inactive that any exercise will help. I mean the brain is part of and functions with a body, so is it a break though to know/think/assume that if the body's working better the brain is too?
    -I'd speculate and have on some level found this to be true for myself, without knowing any research findings, that more marathon type training has me planning more, and paying attention to the details, so i'd guess that's better for memory. While strength training has me thinking more about the next few minutes or even seconds and nothing more. That more of an all or nothing, now or never task is both physical and mental. So I'd guess that'd translate into taking more chances, experimenting, creative aspects.

Another thing I find fascinating, but a bit off topic
    The mind/body connection and effects both ways. How people set up a reality, or goals as if it's so absolute, while others clearly have much more ability to use the mind to will, or excel, or not set limits. And on the other side how your physical condition and conditioning/training effects your minds ability, willingness to make or chose decisions. These 2 things and their relationship must play a role in aging too.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling if this stuff isn't interesting to ya, but I thought it worthy of some time on top, and a few more posts.
    Last edited by theMeat; 04-12-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Round and round we go