mtbr member
    Apr 2013

MTB Comparison Sites?

Hi all - Long time stalker, first time poster.

I'm looking for suggestions of non-biased bike comparison sites similar to Top Mountain Bikes (MTB) Comparison | Outside Magazine with filters and sliders to help narrow down the start of my search. This one was good at a high level, but you have to click compare to get into the nitty gritty. It's sufficient, but wanted to see what else was out there.

Time to upgrade my 2006 Specialized Rockhopper to a hardtail for $1500-2k for an 50/50 trail/street rider. Suggestions welcome as well. NC trails are full of roots/rocks and i stick to green/blue trails.

Once i narrow down, it seems mandatory to let the forum decide between my final two, so look forward to that! Thanks in advance for any comparison sites or recos!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ummm... airborn goblin or bikesdirect. You can compare the components list yourself. If you do, you'll see you get higher end components on the online brands at any price tier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    typically a lot of sites i visit only provide comparisons of the bikes they sell, which i'm trying to avoid until narrowing it down further. i'll read up on the Goblin though, thanks. BikesDirect must pass on the savings from having a 6th grader build their website...lol.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    BikesDirect must pass on the savings from having a 6th grader build their website...lol.
    Perhaps, but I don't ride a a website. BD is my favorite to be honest because it's straightforward listing hte componentry. They could do a better job proving more pics though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

T.W.O.
    Why non-bias? There's no such thing unless you are German I think all reviews are bias, it's not a bad thing. It's easier to read them and filter them to your own needs than ones that appears so middle of the road.

BD hardtails are fine, I would not get the FS. Check out the components list not just a few eye catching ones like XTR, XX, XO because some of the components spec are mix and match. A bike advertised as 20 spd XTR spec would have only shifter, f/r derailleurs. Many just comes with FSA crankset, road chain and cassette. You get exactly what you pay for so do your home work.

When I'm doing my homework, I'd got to the review sections of MTBR as well as the manufacture forum, read up on what the owners have to say, bias sure may be on the review sections but on the forum if there's any problem with a particular model it would keep repeating in different threads.

Best thing to do is to find out your local shop for the demo in your area, dedicate some time do ride different brands and models, ask all the questions before you spend your money. Ask the question after the purchase does not help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A lot of things look good on paper ,the only way if you know if YOU like like it is to try it yourself. All the the bell and whisles don't meam a thing if the bike doesn't fit you or isn't the type of bike that you want to ride.