mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Mounting Disc Brakes on a Non-Disc Frame????

Hi,
    I have an older Specialized Stumpjumper frame that does not have disc brake mounts on it. I am interested in upgrading to discs. Is there some sort of a conversion kit out there that will allow me to mount disc brakes on my non-disc compatible frame?

thanks

matt

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler1
    Hi,
    I have an older Specialized Stumpjumper frame that does not have disc brake mounts on it. I am interested in upgrading to discs. Is there some sort of a conversion kit out there that will allow me to mount disc brakes on my non-disc compatible frame?

thanks

matt
    Buy a new bike with disc brakes. It will be more cost effective in the end. It is always cheaper to buy a bike with disc brakes, than to add aftermarket. There used to be some kits, but they were heavy, expensive and did not work realy well.

mtnibkej

ballbuster

Shark Fin

Hi,

thanks

matt
    Specialized makes an adaptor called a shark fin. I dunno if they are made anymore, but a search of ebay may result in something. IIRC, they went for like $40 or so.

It attaches to the rear dropout at one end and the v-brake boss at the other.

Yeah, either that, or get a later disc frame.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Specialized makes an adaptor called a shark fin. I dunno if they are made anymore, but a search of ebay may result in something. IIRC, they went for like $40 or so.

It attaches to the rear dropout at one end and the v-brake boss at the other.

Yeah, either that, or get a later disc frame.
    Keep in mind that along with the price of the brakes themselves, you have to add the cost of new hubs or wheelset. At that point it begins to get expensive. That is why I recomend just buying a new bike. Depending on what brakes you are looking at.......prices range from $79 for Avid Mechs and go up from there.....Hayes run about $160 each and the Avid Juicy 7 go for about $200 each. On top of that, throw in a new wheelset with an average price of $250-$300 for a cheap set.....now you are in $500. There are a lot of great new hardtails out there these days that can be had for just a little bit more money.

Just my opinion.
    mtnbikej

ride hard take risks
    As mtnbikej said orignaly get a new bike much cheaper & better. No fussin no fuggin just good ol riding .

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    If you already have disk brake sets, a disk wheel set, and a frame that you still want to ride, A2Z makes a universal adapter.

http://www.a2zcomponents.com/ada.htm

I used one to put disks on a Ti HT frame although I had to modify the adapter to get it to fit.

NormalNorm
    I got one of those shark fins and used it on my 2000 Stumpy Fsr. It worked great. They are only good for frames up to 2001. I bought a new frame last year, so I don't use anymore. I tried to use it on my Kona SS, but it doesn't fit. Bowler1, PM or email me if you want it.

willtsmith_nwi

You don't need it ...

Hi,

thanks

matt
    Well, if you're trying to be cost efficient, you really don't need disc brakes on the rear wheel. Lot's of people run with disc on the front only as this is the primary braking wheel.

V-brakes on the rear should do just fine for the "drag brake".

Gravity Rides Everything
    BETD makes swingarm parts. i'm not 100% sure they make an upper swingarm that will convert you to disc mounts, but it's worht a shot.

www.betd.co.uk

Team Blindspot

I'd try to hunt down a shark fin adapter

Hi,

thanks

matt

Here's a pic of my 98 Stumpy that I converted to disc's with the fin.

BTW, if you find one, you will need the front brake adaptor for the disc brakes,not the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Chesk these guys out. This is what they do.

http://discbrakeadapters.com/

-sunny

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works View Post
    Here's a pic of my 98 Stumpy that I converted to disc's with the fin.

BTW, if you find one, you will need the front brake adaptor for the disc brakes,not the rear.
    I know this is long shot but just wondering if you still have these Fin? if so, what's the $$?

Air Pirate
    If you don't find the Fin, take a look at the A2Z adapter. Review is here.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Use the A2Z adapter, it works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    If you don't find the Fin, take a look at the A2Z adapter. Review is here.
    I've been shopping for those but can't seem to find them anywhere? Just thought they don't make them anymore. Do you have any idea where I can find them!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WAZCO View Post
    I've been shopping for those but can't seem to find them anywhere? Just thought they don't make them anymore. Do you have any idea where I can find them!
    NEW MTB Bicycle Bike Rear Disc Brake Adapter KIT 145mm Black | eBay