Stiff yet compliant

Mountain Morph problem

So after all the great reviews the Topeak Mountain Morph has gotten, I decided to get one. Now, all my bikes have Presta valves.

When I reverse the insert in the chuck and try to use this pump, I start having a problem. The cavity of the chuck (which goes over and fixes onto the presta valve of the tube) seems to not be deep enough, and as a result, attaching the chuck to the valve means that air starts hissing out pretty much all the time - and quite rapidly, too.

This pretty much makes the pump useless.

Looking at the design, it doesnt appear to be defective or flawed. So am I defective/flawed and missing some pretty obvious step, or is anyone else also having this problem with filling prestas?

I like the idea of having a tube to attach to the tire, instead of the pump directly, and otherwise, I am very pleased with this pump. Anyone know if the Turbo Morph G also has this problem?

TIA,
    V.
    EMD9, drop-bar Bandersnatch, Surly LHT, a couple of Ridleys
    ... and a lot more bruises than can be counted

Probably drunk right now

Most...

Quote Originally Posted by vkalia
    So after all the great reviews the Topeak Mountain Morph has gotten, I decided to get one. Now, all my bikes have Presta valves.

When I reverse the insert in the chuck and try to use this pump, I start having a problem. The cavity of the chuck (which goes over and fixes onto the presta valve of the tube) seems to not be deep enough, and as a result, attaching the chuck to the valve means that air starts hissing out pretty much all the time - and quite rapidly, too.

This pretty much makes the pump useless.

Looking at the design, it doesnt appear to be defective or flawed. So am I defective/flawed and missing some pretty obvious step, or is anyone else also having this problem with filling prestas?

I like the idea of having a tube to attach to the tire, instead of the pump directly, and otherwise, I am very pleased with this pump. Anyone know if the Turbo Morph G also has this problem?

TIA,
    V.

Mmost mini pumps have two inserts that require changing to switch between presta and schraeder valves.

1. The rubber seal.
    2. A plastic insert underneath the rubber seal that has an open hole on one side (presta)and a plastic knob in the center of the insert to depress the schraeder valve on the other side.

Stiff yet compliant
    Doh, you are correct. So the defect/flaw was with me.

In my defense, in my other 2 pumps, there is only one bit that needs to be flipped, not 2 (just checked - apparently, the insert and seal are combined into one part).

Thanks for the help, Ken!
    EMD9, drop-bar Bandersnatch, Surly LHT, a couple of Ridleys
    ... and a lot more bruises than can be counted