• 10-18-2011
    Hkp2000
    what great videos. you guys have film and beatiful country.
  • 10-18-2011
    kingofZroad
    Great stuff!! Thanks for posting!
  • 10-22-2011
    yaga
    Thanks for this thread. This really should be a sticky for the Beginners's Corner.
    I just started riding again (last 1991) and been hitting my local trails that has a bit of almost everything. The straight line and cornering video was very informative and useful for my type of riding.
  • 10-22-2011
    yaga
    Recently a couple of my neighbors bought new hardtails and one with a 29". I am having questions in my mind if the bike I have is adequate for my needs.

Do I really NEED to upgrade to a newer bike like a hardtail with disc brakes (post 2006)? The trails I am learning or working on are the easy sections of Towsley Canyon and Tapia Canyon in SoCal - which the neighbor (experienced rider) with the new 29'' also frequents. If I feel confident, I try the moderate sections. As far as I can see, the bike I ride is fine.

But as they say, "Ignorance is bliss." I have known from the 4x4 world that its always the driver not the truck.

No plans to be extreme but want to be competent to ride the "moderate" trails. I am currently riding a rigid frame 1989 Mongoose IBOC Comp with traditional cantilever brakes. I just started riding seriously (I consider myself a beginner.)

Thanks for any comments or info - Sorry for the hijack. I'm not able to start a thread until I hit 5 posts or greater.
  • 10-22-2011
    Hutch3637
    Yaga - Would an upgrade be worth it, in short yes. Depending on your money situation I would opt for a hardtail. Also, go to your local bike shop (LBS) and try out bikes. 29er's might be for you, might not. It all depends on what you like. The reason I say get a hardtail is because you will learn more skills in the long run sense I take it your new and want to get into mtbing more. Sure you can get a full-suspension bike but this thread is about skills and becoming better at them. With that said get a hardtail. Before starting a thread use the search button as what bike should I get or what 29er should I get, and is this bike for me, as this has been asked so many times before.
  • 10-25-2011
    appstaterider
    These are great videos with true and consistent information. Even experienced riders can use a reminder on technique sometimes.

Yaga - I read on one forum/thread where a guy used the tennis racquet as the example of why a 29er is a good or bad choice, depending on your philisophy. He said that a 29er hardtail is good in that, like a larger faced tennis racquet, it can be more forgiving for bad lines on trails, while still letting you "feel" the trail. If you want a more plush ride, go with FS. I just liked that analogy. In my case, my budget is on the lower side so 29er hardtail made sense for me. Plus technical climbs can be easier because the big wheels roll right over roots and rocks that used to stop me in my tracks and keep me from cleaning certain hills.
  • 10-27-2011
    trekterror
    Nice finds, thanks for the info!
  • 10-27-2011
    cleon
    Cool..thx! I'm reading Lopes/McCormack's book and it's really helpful as well.

edit: watching the vids now..great stuff.
  • 10-27-2011
    cleon
    Do you think he's had a Specialized BG fit? Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009 - YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by juu-zo View Post
    Check Danny MacAskill videos

• 11-01-2011
    appstaterider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cleon View Post
    Do you think he's had a Specialized BG fit? Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009 - YouTube

That is SICK!!! Freakish Skillz!!
  • 11-01-2011
    swingset
    Good vids, thanks for posting them!
  • 11-02-2011
    logik
    Thanks for posting these! Learned a few good tips...
  • 11-02-2011
    Urbansniper
    drop off video has helped me alot :thumbsup:

this is my first drop off from this height & to angled landing (from this past weekend)...it doesn't look so bad from the fisheye camera, but i assure you, it looks scary from up top...heh

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...presswood2.jpg
  • 11-09-2011
    appstaterider
    This thread really needs to be a sticky. Every beginner needs to watch these videos!
  • 11-12-2011
    mastee
    Great thread, book marked
  • 11-13-2011
    wyumez
    Should be stickied. I'm impressed youtube allowed a 30 minute video to be uploaded.
  • 11-13-2011
    bojo
    Great help in those videos! thanks :-D
  • 11-13-2011
    Geoffbern
    Great videos thanks
  • 11-20-2011
    GaryN69
    Thanks for posting those vids, I learned a lot!
  • 11-21-2011
    Hutch3637
    New update
    Decided to upload the whole video of the FB-AM-Skill video to Vimeo. Hopefully it stays there. Your welcome and happy you guys/gals are progressing with your own skills. Anyone is more then welcome to post other video's as long as they have to do with MTB tips or how to's.
    - Hutch

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/32434171?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="520" height="415" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  • 11-21-2011
    Jonesbrt
    Some good tips. I really liked the straight line riding/corning. He gave a lot of valuable tips for absorbing shock. This is very helpful to me since I'm riding a fully rigid at the moment.
  • 11-21-2011
    DirtBikeRider
    Excellent videos. Thanks for posting.
  • 11-23-2011
    notrandom
    THanks for posting ;)
  • 11-23-2011
    JGguns
    Good stuff. Thanks for the links
  • 01-03-2012
    Hutch3637
    Another video from another perspective. More to do with free ride if you want to call it that but it does have useful tips in it.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VKKtf7oVVZU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>