Anytime. Anywhere.

Mountain Biking Is The Best

I guess I'm preaching to the choir here but I have just had a week of amazing riding. I'm 55 and I feel like I'm 12 whenever I get out on my mountain bike. I moved to a small mountain bike Mecca, Cumberland, BC last summer. I do most of my rides solo because my riding partners aren't retired yet but I'm with the group twice a week. When I meet people who do not ride I feel sorry for them and am always surprised that there are locals here who don't ride. However here in Cumberland you always see people heading out on their bikes and most days I meet a few out on the trail. I have been mountain biking for almost 27 years and I can't imagine life without it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Biking Is The Best-image.jpg  

Mountain Biking Is The Best-image.jpg  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Preach on. ride on. I envy your trails.

mtbr member
    Awesome post, and awesome pics! Keep on living the dream!

DFMBA.org
    I have the fortune of mentoring an 8th grader that just got into the sport, and he's totally hooked and looking to do NICA. I remember those who have taught me and I'm trying to give back. This is a tremendous sport indeed.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    It is the BEST!!

SO Glad I decided to buy a mountain bike instead of joining a gym.
    I had forgotten how much personal fun I had on a bike.
    I never plan on putting this sport down again!!
    Love It!
    Now if I could retire and have ^^fun like that ^^^ Life would be complete
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

Front Range, Colorado
    Yes it is the best and Travis it sounds like you've got life figured out. Congrats on your move to such a Mecca and your retirement.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    I never ride for exercise. Sometimes ridding alone can be spiritual. On my bike is where I want to be .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    It is the BEST!!

SO Glad I decided to buy a mountain bike instead of joining a gym.
    I had forgotten how much personal fun I had on a bike.
    I never plan on putting this sport down again!!
    Love It!
    Now if I could retire and have ^^fun like that ^^^ Life would be complete
    That's essentially what I did. I hate gyms and working out. Riding a bike is my excercise. I haven't been on my bike in the last few years but I am going to get riding again. I have a Conndale Super V700SX I bought new in 2000. Its still in great condition. Also I'm 59 so I'm no spring chicken any more. But I like riding the trails and concentrating on riding and going through switchbacks, riding between trees where the handlebar just fits in between them and running over roots, ruts, drop offs and climbing shore steep hills.

mtbr member
    You NEED to RIDE ZombyWolf!! Dust off yer bike..buy something for it..maybe a new handlebar or whatever yer hankerin to change up!! Give it some love and that wil spark yer ride FIRE!! Light your FIRE and RIDE!!
    I'm 46 and ready to retire mentaly..stil raising kids and a wife so I'm F.....
    That's ok cuz after work I RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heading to South Lake Tahoe this weekend...B-Day party but I may just drag the hardtail up there with me.."sneek out" LOL
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    You NEED to RIDE ZombyWolf!! Dust off yer bike..buy something for it..maybe a new handlebar or whatever yer hankerin to change up!! Give it some love and that wil spark yer ride FIRE!! Light your FIRE and RIDE!!

Heading to South Lake Tahoe this weekend...B-Day party but I may just drag the hardtail up there with me.."sneek out" LOL
    I have. I'm waiting this crummy weather to quit. It was 26F in Atlanta this morning. But I bought a new helment and cyclocomputer. On top of that I woke up with a sore throat this morning and it looks like rain for this weekend. But I found a nearby park that has a nice trail system too and I can't wait to get on it.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomby Woof (MCM700) View Post
    I have. I'm waiting this crummy weather to quit. It was 26F in Atlanta this morning. But I bought a new helment and cyclocomputer. On top of that I woke up with a sore throat this morning and it looks like rain for this weekend. But I found a nearby park that has a nice trail system too and I can't wait to get on it.
    Wow 26 in Atlanta! That is surprising. I'm happy to hear you're anxious to get out and have fun.

For me riding is as close to spiritual as I get and the fitness is a great fringe benefit. As I have said many times, I would keep riding even if it was bad for me. Is that an addiction?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've been a road rider for years and recently tried mtb riding about 5 weeks ago. I have NO idea why I never decided to try this sooner. I'm hooked and it's amazing! I have a 2014 Trek EX7 and Looooove it!!! Just earlier tonight I came back from one of my night rides.....wow, wow, wow.....just unreal how barreling down a mountain, at night, with your tunnel vision just giving you all this focus. Loved it and am now up to 4 to 5 rides a week to condition myself for summer!

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Ya got my vote!!
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO

I tried to Rep ya Burt but could not.
    You get 10X rep now for your outlook!!!
    G
    Out
    Yes, Monday and Tuesday are now no longer weekdays. Trust me. LP.
    No Rep/No Problem
    Banned For Boobies WTF?
    Don't PM Me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That is a big 10/4! I got a mountain bike for my 24th birthday in 1992 and it was an absolute life changer for me. No question the best present I have ever received. I currently have three mountain bikes, and a retired one as my townie bike.

Your bike sucks
    This year it's officially 30 years mtbing. It shaped my life and has brought me so much benefit that I can never repay. Like you, I live in a 'bike town' and it's amazing to see the continuing enthusiasm and the way it imparts joy to generations of riders. Sport. Activity. Self. Community. Connection. Religion. Zen. Soul. Life.

mtbr member
    I initially started mtb-ing for fitness and health benefits... but now I'm hooked on the just getting out there and having some fun (if you can call sweatin your ar$e off fun!?)

It's already proving a great way to share in healthy activity with the sprogz...

Hope the body holds out for 20 more years!!

mtbr member
    Mountain biking is really really good. But, backcountry skiing on big volcanoes is the best thing ever. At least on superstar snow.

By way, 65 soon to be 66 if I'm careful.
    Last edited by telemike; 04-01-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Mountain biking is really really good. But, backcountry skiing on big volcanoes is the best thing ever. At least on superstar snow.

I suck at skiing/snow boarding
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

banned
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post

Mountain biking is really really good. So is skiing. But, surfing overhead waves is the best thing ever. At least on great days where i am catching the big waves and not getting pummeled by them.