mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Are Mountain Bikers pretty Judgmental?

Im coming from the cycling side and from what i have seen people can be very judgmental when it comes to how nice your ride is compared to how good you are or strong if that makes sense. I came across a very good deal on a nice enduro bike that i fell in love with but i dont really do that crazy jumping stuff and fast downhill. the bike is very light and performes well for everything i do, i can manual and wheelie it for days haha. nothing that can make suspension bottom out though lol i just feel like if you cant live up to the bike you have people are super judgmental about you. Owning this bike makes me feel like the people that buy offroading jeeps but only ride on the streets like the Rubicons lol
    just curious what people think on this topic

mtb'er
    Yes, people are judgmental about everything, including bicycling.

Prove me wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexcoupson View Post
    Im coming from the cycling side and from what i have seen people can be very judgmental when it comes to how nice your ride is compared to how good you are or strong if that makes sense. I came across a very good deal on a nice enduro bike that i fell in love with but i dont really do that crazy jumping stuff and fast downhill. the bike is very light and performes well for everything i do, i can manual and wheelie it for days haha. nothing that can make suspension bottom out though lol i just feel like if you cant live up to the bike you have people are super judgmental about you. Owning this bike makes me feel like the people that buy offroading jeeps but only ride on the streets like the Rubicons lol
    That's funny. You'd think so by reading some comments made on here, so I guess it is possible, but in the real world IME, all the people that I have ever ridden with are happy, if you're happy. Lots of flavors of bikes around here. Run what ya brung.

Guess it depends on who you hang out with. All the road groups I've ever ridden with also could give a rats ass, as long as you can keep up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm especially judgemental. I like bikes with round wheels. I prefer uphills to downhills.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    uh who gives a rats ass what anybody thinks about your bike or your ability. Go ride and be happy. Anybody that would spend the time to comment on anything is a douchebag.

And as far your jeep comparison, someone buying a rubicon to never take it off pavement is a little different than you buying an enduro and not putting it to its full potential but even then who is anybody to make judgement on someone who does. I will say at least you got your ride in the dirt! Just go ride.

mtbr member
    I'm jealous you have a light weight, Enduro rig >.<

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Im coming from the cycling side and from what i have seen people can be very judgmental when it comes to how nice your ride is compared to how good you are or strong if that makes sense. I came across a very good deal on a nice enduro bike that i fell in love with but i dont really do that crazy jumping stuff and fast downhill.
    There will be a few grumpy guys that think you're an 'overbiked enduro bro' but most people won't care unless you're bragging about how much travel you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Only the stupid ones. Same as roadies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    On the internet they are a lot worse than in real life. Most people I meet are friendly and supportive of anyone out there riding a bike. If they aren't, like others have said screw em!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Mountain bikers are generally very cool. There was a specific thread about over- or -under biked so people were asked specific questions and some of it got heated. But generally, that kinda crap doesn't come up unless somebody is throwing it out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    There will be a few grumpy guys that think you're an 'overbiked enduro bro' but most people won't care unless you're bragging about how much travel you have.
    People won't think you are an "enduro bro" just because you ride an enduro bike. An enduro bro is a package of attributes that are correlated with dbag. Don't scare the OP. He will not get accused of being an enduro bro unless he wears the costume and acts the part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Get on IFHT and look at how we just laugh at ourselves with all the stupid stuff...this one is my favorite. Love those guys for their videos.

https://youtu.be/QyTyjQbvylg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropper View Post
    Get on IFHT and look at how we just laugh at ourselves with all the stupid stuff...this one is my favorite. Love those guys for their videos.

That’s some funny stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fat guy on Fat tires

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I would say it's more an online thing as one of the main aspects I like about mountain biking is I find the attitudes are friendly and not judgemental. When I wanted to extend my cycling I joined a local MTB group and was utterly rubbish at it, my fitness was nowhere near good enough, I had no technique or ability nor proper lighting gear for riding at night. After a second outing I decided I wouldn't go again plus I was pretty sure the group wouldn't want me coming out with them either.

However I was wrong as they were hugely encouraging to keep coming back and never judged my bike, instead just made suggestions that would perhaps make the riding a bit easier.

After a winter of mountain biking and getting quite into it I decided to join a road bike group as the local one has a beginner's no drop ride. Aside from a couple of individuals, the group was very judgemental and someone charitably offered that my road bike (an aluminium Tiagra Trek 1.5) might be ok for a winter bike once I buy a proper road bike. As it came into summer if certain people weren't there, the no drop beginner ride became a race night and screw anyone who couldn't keep up. I stopped going as that's not what I was wanting and was told to go back, the group had been told to stop doing that so I gave it another go and the group controlled themselves briefly before firing back into race pace and progressively dropping all the beginners. Never been back since.

I've been at a few road bike and mountain bike events this year and it's generally such a different atmosphere. I was chatting to someone at an MTB festival who'd got his mate to come to MTB events instead of road events and his mate was surprised at how much more pleasant the atmosphere is at the MTB events as people are more just interested in features on a bike rather than at road bike events where people are generally just looking down at other bikes.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

since 4/10/2009
    You're fine. Ride what you like. You might get some crap from time to time. But stand up for yourself if other people are serious about it (and not just kidding around). Several years ago, when my wife got her first bike upgrade from her beginner bike, she wanted some nice platform pedals and 5.10's. I set her up with some sweet purple ano pedals to match the other ano accents on her black bike (so they caught attention). People gave her a ton of crap about it. She was too timid at the time to stand up for herself, so I challenged people who made comments to her about it. It kept happening, so I put platforms on my bike and continued to challenge them. This was in an area where the old school xc ideas lingered, and our riding eventually shut them up. Amusingly enough, a lot of people started using platforms after that, too.

But really, mtbikers are no more or less judgemental than the population as a whole. You'll find some groups that are more douchey and others that are less so. I've moved around enough in the past 20yrs that I've seen all sides of it.

Those vids are hilarious. I can think of at least one person on mtbr who's in all seriousness, said many of those same things.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    I would say it's more an online thing as one of the main aspects I like about mountain biking is I find the attitudes are friendly and not judgemental. When I wanted to extend my cycling I joined a local MTB group and was utterly rubbish at it, my fitness was nowhere near good enough, I had no technique or ability nor proper lighting gear for riding at night. After a second outing I decided I wouldn't go again plus I was pretty sure the group wouldn't want me coming out with them either.

However I was wrong as they were hugely encouraging to keep coming back and never judged my bike, instead just made suggestions that would perhaps make the riding a bit easier.

After a winter of mountain biking and getting quite into it I decided to join a road bike group as the local one has a beginner's no drop ride. Aside from a couple of individuals, the group was very judgemental and someone charitably offered that my road bike (an aluminium Tiagra Trek 1.5) might be ok for a winter bike once I buy a proper road bike. As it came into summer if certain people weren't there, the no drop beginner ride became a race night and screw anyone who couldn't keep up. I stopped going as that's not what I was wanting and was told to go back, the group had been told to stop doing that so I gave it another go and the group controlled themselves briefly before firing back into race pace and progressively dropping all the beginners. Never been back since.

I've been at a few road bike and mountain bike events this year and it's generally such a different atmosphere. I was chatting to someone at an MTB festival who'd got his mate to come to MTB events instead of road events and his mate was surprised at how much more pleasant the atmosphere is at the MTB events as people are more just interested in features on a bike rather than at road bike events where people are generally just looking down at other bikes.

John
    As I've said before, I've seen all sides of this. I've seen douchey mtb groups and totally cool mtb groups. I've seen douchey roadies and totally cool roadies. I've crossed paths with a number of groups over the years where people just ride whatever they've got and have a good time hanging out. Everything from vintage steel townie bikes to the latest enduro bikes and full carbon road race bikes and everything in between. I recently moved to a new area and have been looking for a group that I mesh with. I've attended a few different regular group rides and they've all been friendly and accepting, but they just didn't ride the way I enjoy riding the most. It's a big riding community here, and it seems like most people have their own "crews" that they regularly ride with, or they ride solo. So far, the group I've enjoyed riding with the most is one I was invited to by another mtbr user. They just ride early on Sunday mornings, and I'm NOT a morning person, so it's more of a schedule thing for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    They just ride early on Sunday mornings, and I'm NOT a morning person, so it's more of a schedule thing for me.
    Sunday morning rides are old guy rides :P I bet as long as you show up on time :P you're in with them.

I ride a bike that is overbiked for me in one way of looking at it. I could do a lot more stuff on it than I do. BUT on the stuff I DO do, it gives a nice smooth ride, it gets me out of trouble if I slam a rock unexpectedly, and still climbs and pedals great for me. It's lighter than the FS XC bike I did my last race on many years ago... The suspension is way better too. So in my way of looking at it I am just right biked, because it works for me.

mtbr member
    The important thing to remember is that everything you have is dumb/sucks compared to anything that I have, which is all brilliant/awesome.

Stone Jack Baller
    Judging by the previous responses, I’d say no.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    Sunday morning rides are old guy rides :P I bet as long as you show up on time :P you're in with them.
    Pretty sure most of them are younger than I am. And yeah, they're a cool, accepting bunch. Even though I was the slowest in attendance last time I was there. Definitely the slowest climber (lower fitness) as well as the slowest descender (which is a new one for me - I've usually been an upper mid-pack descender). But not by a huge margin, anyway. My climbing fitness is improving, so by the end of the summer, I'll probably be better able to hang with them on the climbs (even though I'll probably be gasping while they're riding at a conversational pace, which is how this group rolls and a big reason why I like it).

I showed up to a different "intermediate" group ride (weekday/evening) awhile back and those guys crushed me to the point that I couldn't even finish the loop (which I had ridden just fine in the past, at my own pace).

I have a different work schedule now, and early Sunday mornings works better for me. Just have to prioritize showing up to ride early.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    People are people. Hang out with the cool ones and ditch the asshats. We have a road group ride called HOP. House of pain is a drop ride and 70% of the starting group gets dropped. Some of the guys take it to seriously and I just laugh at them. F em if they can't take a joke.
    Anyway, I always enjoy teaching newer riders the trails and skills necessary to ride safety.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    People are people. Hang out with the cool ones and ditch the asshats. We have a road group ride called HOP. House of pain is a drop ride and 70% of the starting group gets dropped. Some of the guys take it to seriously and I just laugh at them. F em if they can't take a joke.
    Anyway, I always enjoy teaching newer riders the trails and skills necessary to ride safety.
    So long as the ride has a clear objective like that, I don't see a problem. It's not really my sort of thing, but I know plenty of people who love that kind of challenge. They gauge themselves on how long they were able to hang with the lead group.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Im coming from the cycling side
    WTF does this even mean?

Yes, I'm judging you.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    < I’d like to judge you but I misplaced my gavel.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Usually it's directed towards the roadies... But even those guys tend to be pretty cool. Yeah, no one waves and you might get yelled at for screwing around in line, but it's still generally a good group of people.

People sign onto the internet to voice their dumb opinion, loudly. People ride bikes to have a good time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    You're fine. Ride what you like. You might get some crap from time to time. But stand up for yourself if other people are serious about it (and not just kidding around). Several years ago, when my wife got her first bike upgrade from her beginner bike, she wanted some nice platform pedals and 5.10's. I set her up with some sweet purple ano pedals to match the other ano accents on her black bike (so they caught attention). People gave her a ton of crap about it. She was too timid at the time to stand up for herself, so I challenged people who made comments to her about it. It kept happening, so I put platforms on my bike and continued to challenge them. This was in an area where the old school xc ideas lingered, and our riding eventually shut them up. Amusingly enough, a lot of people started using platforms after that, too.

But really, mtbikers are no more or less judgemental than the population as a whole. You'll find some groups that are more douchey and others that are less so. I've moved around enough in the past 20yrs that I've seen all sides of it.

Those vids are hilarious. I can think of at least one person on mtbr who's in all seriousness, said many of those same things.

As I've said before, I've seen all sides of this. I've seen douchey mtb groups and totally cool mtb groups. I've seen douchey roadies and totally cool roadies. I've crossed paths with a number of groups over the years where people just ride whatever they've got and have a good time hanging out. Everything from vintage steel townie bikes to the latest enduro bikes and full carbon road race bikes and everything in between. I recently moved to a new area and have been looking for a group that I mesh with. I've attended a few different regular group rides and they've all been friendly and accepting, but they just didn't ride the way I enjoy riding the most. It's a big riding community here, and it seems like most people have their own "crews" that they regularly ride with, or they ride solo. So far, the group I've enjoyed riding with the most is one I was invited to by another mtbr user. They just ride early on Sunday mornings, and I'm NOT a morning person, so it's more of a schedule thing for me.
    I've ridden with a mix of groups at a variety of events up and down the country and while there are a few exceptions, I find what I've said above holds true. It just seems to be a different approach to cycling, some people just want to get out there and go as fast as possible which is where they get their enjoyment from and some just want to get out and enjoy the ride itself.

Although mountain biking is my preference, I do like getting out on the road bike particularly as I live in a scenic area but after trying quite a few different road bike groups I just accept I'm better on my own. At least on the MTB group rides there's safety in numbers as everyone will help each other whereas on the road bike rides, tough luck to anyone who has a mechanical or can't keep up the speed as they get left far behind.

I do occasionally think of getting back into it the road bike rides and then find nothing has changed and I doubt it ever will, it does amuse me the clubs are puzzled why beginners don't stick with them...
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

Spherical Earther
    I think the number of people that display any type of behavior (good, bad or otherwise) are pretty evenly distributed throughout most sports and hobbies. Over time you figure out with whom you prefer to ride/communicate/hang out with and discard the rest. My son just turned 18 and we have friends parents who comment about what a nice kid he is all the time. We didn't do anything special, but we did try to raise him to be respectful of others, kind and open minded. Certainly that will cause him to be judged by someone at some time in his life so we also made sure he had enough character and inner strength to weather those storms.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    I think the number of people that display any type of behavior (good, bad or otherwise) are pretty evenly distributed throughout most sports and hobbies. Over time you figure out with whom you prefer to ride/communicate/hang out with and discard the rest. My son just turned 18 and we have friends parents who comment about what a nice kid he is all the time. We didn't do anything special, but we did try to raise him to be respectful of others, kind and open minded. Certainly that will cause him to be judged by someone at some time in his life so we also made sure he had enough character and inner strength to weather those storms.
    Well said.
    Every walk of life has judgmental people.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Well said.
    Every walk of life has judgmental people.
    Yeah, they're called "teenagers".
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member

Hilarious. The comments are as well. Especially the ones from those who don't get it.

Bahahahahahaha!

mtbr member
    I've ridden with a mix of groups at a variety of events up and down the country and while there are a few exceptions, I find what I've said above holds true. It just seems to be a different approach to cycling, some people just want to get out there and go as fast as possible which is where they get their enjoyment from and some just want to get out and enjoy the ride itself.

I guess it depends, where I live I've found mountain bikers and road riders to be equally friendly and accommodating. Usually they're the same people because a lot of people around here seem to enjoy both road and mountain biking.

As for the fast vs. slow thing it the same whether on the trail or pavement, some people like a leisurely pace and others want an endorphin rush, and both types have fun. The group rides I've been on have always been upfront about the type of ride and expected pace so there's no surprises.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Yes.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    Yes.
    On Prop. 235?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Honestly, as someone who owns an Enduro bike, and probably doesn't ride any better than you do, I say if it meets your needs, who cares? I like my bike - I'm not the fastest up the hill by any stretch of the imagination (with my bad knees, it's never, ever going to happen), and going down, I'm the middle of the pack at best.

But I like the bike. I use up most (or all) of the travel on some days, but I'm never going to do big jumps or massive drops. But you know, I can tell the difference between my 160mm/150mm Slash and my 140/130mm Fuel EX when I'm on the North Shore.

The other day, I was on a ride with a group here in BC. My knee was killing me, and I was so slow on the way up! It sucked. And on the way down we were figuring out who was going when and I volunteered to go near the end. One woman in the group said "No way. You've got that Slash. It's a great bike. Get going." There wasn't a hint of criticism in her voice. She knew I wasn't happy with the ride up, and just wanted me to have a good ride down. And I did. She liked the bike and raved about it...

And here's another thing - just because you're not the greatest rider in the world doesn't mean that you can't tell the difference between bikes... So buy what you want and enjoy it.... Hope this makes sense!

mtbr member
    Most people I know who ride are faster and better than me and probably will always be that way but I have never heard them say anything discouraging about what, where or how I ride. In all actuality they are encouraging and offer suggestions or are willing to answer any questions I might have. Granted this is a small number of people that I know but for the most part everyone I have met while biking has been positive and friendly.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Do mountain bikers have thin skins?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Yes we are all clones there isn’t an ounce of individual character between us

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

I do occasionally think of getting back into it the road bike rides and then find nothing has changed and I doubt it ever will, it does amuse me the clubs are puzzled why beginners don't stick with them...
    If there's a good club near you they might run various types of rides. For example around here, they run "no drop" rides for people who want a more leisurely pace, intermediate or tempo rides, where you're expected to keep up but they don't drop the hammer, and hammer fest rides where the whole goal is to try and drop everyone lol.
    If people try to hammer on a non hammer fest ride they will just let you ride away, so it's pretty well enforced that the agreed tempo is held to.
    To me, group riding in a drafting group is the best thing about road cycling, it would be a shame if you can't find a suitable group.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Only the ones shaped like a potato.

mtbr member
    If one showed up on an e-bike, I'd judge.

I prefer to be a hardcore roadie.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say I am judgmental, but definitely grumpy. I rode a downhill park for the first time a few weeks ago, and when I got back I told my wife that the trip made me realize 2 things; the first is that riding your bike downhill really fast is extremely fun, the second is that I hate mountain bike culture. Not a lot bothers me (believe it or not) but fake people and people who are trying way too hard to be cool have always bothered me for whatever reason. There seemed to be a lot of that out there, over-biked and over-geared goobers standing by the lift dropping annoying phrases like "send it" and "shred the gnar". Then 20 minutes later you would see them dragging brake down an easy blue line.

Don't get me wrong, I am fully open to admitting that I am probably the bigger douche here for caring how people go about having fun. I can't help it though. Bad brain wiring maybe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Were they perhaps being a bit facetious?

There is all types out there and I generally don’t give a rip what they do until they make someone else feel bad, ya know making fun of the people going out for their first time etc. heck im pretty cautious I have mouths to feed and bills to pay im just out to have a good time in the outdoors.

Its funny just human nature, i was on a lift with my buddy. I was sporting a new long sleeved jersey. I used to typically ride in a t-shirt but trying to keep less sun exposure on my arms to keep from getting cancer I get the long sleeve lightweight TLD jersey. He says man I wont buy a jersey because if I look like that people will think like Im a shredder. I was like uh I have never shown up concerned what everyone else is thinking about my appearance. Just blew my mind cuz I just assumed he was a grounded dude but purposely said Im not looking like that and im like well i need something to keep the sun off my arms and well this seems to fit the bill better than a cotton long sleeved t-shirt. Maybe if it wasnt MTB specific brand he wouldnt care but still its just down right silly. The only true poser is the guy that says he “sends it” and brags how bitchen he is and then sucks. If someone assumes i can send it because of my appearance and then I dont live up to their “expectations” of rider ability based on the bike I brought or the kit im wearing has some issues, especially if they decide to comment to me about it. Truthfully at first it may piss me off but in the end i feel sorry for you.

Professional Crastinator
    I've been riding long enough with enough different people in enough different places to know not to judge by appearance.

Of course, if you're talkin' a lot of $#!+, someone, maybe even me, will put you to the test. No one takes it personally, though, and sometimes you find someone who is at your same level and it turns out really fun.

In every case where the rider wasn't up to their own hype, they fell into place in the group (not at the front) and everyone was happy. It's usually because the talker hasn't ridden enough places to know that they aren't good at everything. Although we did have 2 supposed racer heads completely abandon a ride once when their big talk turned out to be a lot of nothing. They gave the word "poser" a whole new meaning. Even the slow guy in our group was like "What was up with those guys?"

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Judgymcjudgeface is my nickname. I'm a real a-hole about other people's abilities and equipment. I believe that I'm a god among mountain bikers and cast spiteful judgement at all those around me.

I ride an e-bike on group rides and laugh at the other riders who can't keep up with me on the climbs. I feel like my derision of them provides motivation for them to do better.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Luv it curveball! Your only making me faster! I appreciate the motivation.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Less than roadies for sure but plenty of judgemental riders out there.

Bikesexual
    In my area everyone is pretty friendly, plus I don't get bent if someone doesn't say "hello" back, who knows what they are focused on.

Both of the groups I ride are super encouraging, always checking on people, usually waiting on me, and everyone is welcomed. I don't do a lot of group road rides other than charity rides, my "road" rides are usually solo, because none of my friends that ride MTB like road. The only stares I get are due to my 510's and Chesters

I do have to say, solo rides are the best!

mtbr member
    Pick a wheel size and be a dick about it.

CEO Product Failure
    99% mtb'ers are stand up people. They don't judge. They just ride. Most are very willing to lend a hand if you have a mechanical trail side.

the 1%'ers though can be real jerks, real prima-donna's and imagine themselves to be the only ppl worthy of oxygen on planet earth. Ignore the 1%'rers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've never been part of an activity where I've found such a high percentage of the people involved to be so friendly. Nearly every large jump line I've learned while starting out was facilitated by strangers who just enjoy helping and get stoked on others progression. I pay it back any chance I get as well. While riding I've only encountered two people that stand out in my mind as being either rude or explicitly judgemental and they were not experienced riders themselves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Only the ones shaped like a potato.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    The important thing to remember is that everything you have is dumb/sucks compared to anything that I have, which is all brilliant/awesome.

Thank you for reminding me of that lol.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    Well that's weird, the stereotype is that road bikers are the arrogant ones. I knew that long before I ever considered riding a mountain bike.

I'm kind of confused about the question: you are saying that you have a nice bike, but don't ride it to its full potential, so other bikers are looking down you because you bought too much bike? Are they your friends, riding buddies, riding group, strangers? Can you elaborate?

I dunno about other experiences but my experience is that mountain bikers are very similar to people in general in the outside world: one on one, friendly. Two on one, a bit competitive and one person trying to show off to the other. 3-5 on one now it's a group thing and you are not in the group. 6+ and you may as well be talking to a road biking clique.
    Hypercritical is good. Hypocritical is bad. Nice people can still be bad people.

mtbr member
    I just figure I'm f'n awesome at everything and everyone else can suck it. But that's only in the parking lot while I polish my bike. After the trail head starts it's a different story. It's still everyone else can suck it, but hey where did you go? Lol