-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012

Mountain Bike Maps.com

Hello everyone! I am creating a new site called MountainBikeMaps.com. and was hoping to get some feedback and some possible interest from people in mapping new areas.

This is a FREE SITE for users, and is a labor of love right now. The sites goal is to provide the best, most consistent and easy to find information about Mountain Biking in all areas.

For now It's just ME, one person, and I am based in Las Vegas. So NV is what I have started with. I am, however, looking for people to help the cause! If you live in an area and would like to have loads of Data about your trails systems easily accessible, then contact me and help map your area!

The information I include on the site is:
    -Printable Maps of Trail Networks
    -Google Earth Maps of the Networks with descriptions and trail info
    -360deg PANO views of the trail parking areas (THs)
    -MAPRIKA Mapps for your smart phone (shows our maps with your location overlaid) Free app
    -Garmin Custom Maps (Our Map loaded onto your Garmin device showing your location overlaid on the map WITH your topo map data also.)
    -GPX Files to download and use with your Garmin GPS
    -Trail Pics (in progress)

----

Thanks for any feedback about the site! I just did a 100% overhaul on it so it's got a brand new layout! It is NOT YET OPTIMIZED FOR PHONES or Internet Explorer vs8 or Older... but will be!

Here is our map of Cottonwood Valley (North of Hwy) in Las Vegas, NV
    MountainBikeMaps.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Bike Maps.com-cottonwoodnorth.jpg  

Last edited by MountainBikeMaps.com; 04-23-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: forgot to add image caption

wtf screen size is your site layout optimized for? I'm at 1900x1200 and have to stretch my browser window almost across the whole screen to see your site without it being completely cut off. On a 28" monitor, no f'n way am I maximizing my browser window for a website.

It's an interesting site, but I think you're going to be playing catch-up to the IMBA-affiliated site that's currently in development and WAY further along. It already has many times more data than you do. Granted, they aren't offering nearly as many formats. But unless you're making all of this available programatically, I don't think you have any idea how much you've bitten off. You might want to limit your scope to a single state or region, do it well, and then spread out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I had no trouble with a 24" 1920x1080 and Firefox approx. 60% wide (of screen width).

Great site and good start!

mtbr member
    Looks like a cool site. But I also had to use the horizontal scroll bar in order to be able to see everything on the page. Running Chrome. Had the same issue on my bigger, secondary monitor as well.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    IMHO, to make your site stand out, you should provide directions and coordinates to the trailhead and info about the trail, i.e. how steep, how technical, how crowded. I say this because I hate little more than to drive somewhere, hunt for the trailhead and then find the trail is too steep to enjoy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just looked at your site. Then I bookmarked it. I'm in SoCal by the Santa Monica Mountains. There are lots of good trails. I've got a GPS and am not afraid to use it. What can I do to help? If you give specific instructions, I can follow them.

Afric Pepperbird
    A good head start!

Here is a website for the Oregon/Washington areas/trails. It is a nice template for you to gather ideas from:

Cascade Singletrack Mountain Biking, XC Ski and Hiking Trails

-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012
    Nate- The site should be optimized for that resolution but at full window size yes. The reason is so that you don't have to do ANY SCROLLING on the site as far as scrolling the full page is concerned.

**** I am doing this by myself and I work full time also DJ and do other stuff so progress is unfortunately slower than I would like*****

The site will be optimized soon with a FLUID LAYOUT, meaning that regardless of your screen size / resolution, everything will "Stack" and Re-Size appropriately so that you can view all the content even if the browser is shrunk width wise to say half your monitors width....

That is a LOT of coding so it will be a while but it's definitely something I am aware of.

***ALSO*** What IMBA SITE!!!!! How did I not know about this! Also, TRUST ME I know I have bitten off a lot...I plan to focus on NV and AZ For now, and hopefully grow in time....

--As far as other sites, there are lots of sites/ lots of books/ lots of songs ect about the same dang thing lol.....it's about how the information is presented, and I hope I have presented it in a super easy to use format that is user friendly!! =)

Thanks for the comments!

-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012
    Hmmm really?? What resolution?? 1900x1080??

All GREAT BETA Guys!! THANKS!!! Rest assured I will look into these issues, but it might be slow going!! THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Looks like a cool site. But I also had to use the horizontal scroll bar in order to be able to see everything on the page. Running Chrome. Had the same issue on my bigger, secondary monitor as well.

-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012
    Excellent suggestion Bruce!! Did you not see the Google Map directions?? I do have them for all the parking areas/ trail heads...Also I provide 360 PANO shots of the trail head parking areas so you can actually SEE where your going!!

-about the increased Information....JUST FOR NOW that will have to be added slowly. The amount of Data I am managing is massive and it's just so much work I haven't gotten to that yet, but I am fully planning to integrate MORE info.

--Right now if you go to the GOOGLE EARTH maps, and click a trail - there is detailed information about it. Elevation profiles are much trickier and I am working on better ways to provide that info! Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    IMHO, to make your site stand out, you should provide directions and coordinates to the trailhead and info about the trail, i.e. how steep, how technical, how crowded. I say this because I hate little more than to drive somewhere, hunt for the trailhead and then find the trail is too steep to enjoy.

-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012
    Dirt Farmer- You know what I really liked on that site that I will add to my list of things to add to the site.... It was the "Spreadsheet" style layout of trails and their stats!

I think I will integrate that somewhere so there is another option for finding a trail. With a Spreadsheet style listing all trails in each area, it would be easier to quickly compare there stats!

Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    A good head start!

Here is a website for the Oregon/Washington areas/trails. It is a nice template for you to gather ideas from:

Cascade Singletrack Mountain Biking, XC Ski and Hiking Trails

the IMBA site is not prime time yet, but should go public sometime this year according to reports I've read. AFAIK, it's invite-only for folks to help develop the trails database before it goes live. I was referred to IMBA's mapping guru regarding the project, who then invited me.

On Chrome, the horizontal scroll bar does some wacky stuff, and the vertical scroll bar only scrolled the trail info pane, not the overview map on the left. what code are you using to accomplish this? it behaves funny.

I'd suggest less focus on graphics, too. I like the way you use graphics in breaking up states into regions that are clickable and break down trails into smaller groups. maybe it would be worth putting a couple dots for major cities/towns in each region to give folks a better idea of those regional coverages. but in my opinion, the overall layout is too graphics-heavy.

I'm including a screenshot illustrating some layout weirdness in Chrome. When I use the scroll bar to go right, the whole page doesn't move. Rather, only the right panel. And I get an odd overlap with the overview map. Also, what's with that logo at the top that's covering your title graphic? It never goes away for me.

I think I'd work on the text descriptions some. Though it's more graphics-heavy than I like, the layout looks pretty professional. The text not so much. You use a lot of colloquial language there and it just doesn't seem to match the professional-looking layout.

I am curious how you are handling the geospatial data and the trail networks. The IMBA site has its own particular way of handling the data that's kinda difficult to describe, but it's not my favorite. I am developing a statewide trail database for my local club for internal use that I'm handling in a particular way, and getting the trail data to the IMBA site is going to require me to modify that data prior to uploading. I'm too occupied with existing mapping projects ATM to contribute, but I might be willing to contribute to your site when I've finished my other projects if I don't have to modify the trail data yet again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Bike Maps.com-mtbmaps.jpg  

Your Best Friend
    Interesting stuff here. I've found and use The Skid Map very frequently. I am in Utah though so it is very local to me although it is branching out.

-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012
    THanks for the image. The map is an SVG / HTML5 / JS script that works on all browsers nicely....I just don't have it set to be "fluid" where it will scale appropriately when the browser is narrowed... This is a major design upgrade that WILL be coming, I am just not sure when. The only thing that IS supposed to scroll now, is the trail info panel. The map is designed to stay put while the info scrolls. Also if you click on the map icons when your on a state, it scrolls the trail info FOR YOU... =)

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    the IMBA site is not prime time yet, but should go public sometime this year according to reports I've read. AFAIK, it's invite-only for folks to help develop the trails database before it goes live. I was referred to IMBA's mapping guru regarding the project, who then invited me.

On Chrome, the horizontal scroll bar does some wacky stuff, and the vertical scroll bar only scrolled the trail info pane, not the overview map on the left. what code are you using to accomplish this? it behaves funny.

I'd suggest less focus on graphics, too. I like the way you use graphics in breaking up states into regions that are clickable and break down trails into smaller groups. maybe it would be worth putting a couple dots for major cities/towns in each region to give folks a better idea of those regional coverages. but in my opinion, the overall layout is too graphics-heavy.

I'm including a screenshot illustrating some layout weirdness in Chrome. When I use the scroll bar to go right, the whole page doesn't move. Rather, only the right panel. And I get an odd overlap with the overview map. Also, what's with that logo at the top that's covering your title graphic? It never goes away for me.

I think I'd work on the text descriptions some. Though it's more graphics-heavy than I like, the layout looks pretty professional. The text not so much. You use a lot of colloquial language there and it just doesn't seem to match the professional-looking layout.

I am curious how you are handling the geospatial data and the trail networks. The IMBA site has its own particular way of handling the data that's kinda difficult to describe, but it's not my favorite. I am developing a statewide trail database for my local club for internal use that I'm handling in a particular way, and getting the trail data to the IMBA site is going to require me to modify that data prior to uploading. I'm too occupied with existing mapping projects ATM to contribute, but I might be willing to contribute to your site when I've finished my other projects if I don't have to modify the trail data yet again.

-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012
    Yeah the Skid Map is great! I have worked with Todd the creator and am trying to team up with him and put the skid maps on my site....but he doesn't have all trails in NV....so working on that.... It has it's Pros' and Cons just like my site does!! That's why I think it's good to have variety.. =)

p.s. The work Todd has done on the SkidMap is highly impressive and quite amazing really!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Interesting stuff here. I've found and use The Skid Map very frequently. I am in Utah though so it is very local to me although it is branching out.

-->MountainBikeMaps.com
    Nov 2012
    Working on the layout being FLUID so that it will re-size with the browser!! Getting there.