Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

mountain bike gloves

Hi,

Am looking for some gloves but know nothing about them. Most important to me is breathability. My hands sweat more than any human on earth. So could someone recommend me some ventilated breathable gloves? Comfort and padding are important too but I'm looking for the most breathable.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    there's a ton really.

depends on what you would be comfortable with. full finger? fingerless? i guess you'd prefer half-fingered one's because you sweat a lot. im currently using a full fingered GIRO MONACO LF and i dont have problems with my hands overheating.. but then again im not a heavy palm sweater either..

Bike Gloves at REI - FREE SHIPPING With $50 minimum purchase.

https://www.google.com/search?q=brea...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    The North Face Brakeman gloves for me. My last pair was destroyed in a road bike crash, but I'll be replacing them with the same gloves when I'm back on the bike. The first two fingers on the glove cover up to the second knuckle, and the last two cover the first knuckle. Minimal padding, tough, and breathable. The North Face*Accessories*BRAKEMAN
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Wow, thanks for the fast response guys. I was favoring the Giro Monaco from my research so I ordered them. F/ competitive cyclist though so I can return if not happy. I was also looking for some summer cycling pants as well. Same deal: need breathable, moisture wicking, tapered pants to stay cool and out of my crank. I wear shorts usually but the tick, bush, bramble, poison ivy situation is not good so I am pretty desperate for the most lightweight, breathable, ventilated, moisture wicking tapered bike pant for summer riding...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I really like the Pearl Izumi Men's Elite Gel Vent Glove

About $35 on amazon. They hold up well and breath very well.

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    Wow, thanks for the fast response guys. I was favoring the Giro Monaco from my research so I ordered them. F/ competitive cyclist though so I can return if not happy. I was also looking for some summer cycling pants as well. Same deal: need breathable, moisture wicking, tapered pants to stay cool and out of my crank. I wear shorts usually but the tick, bush, bramble, poison ivy situation is not good so I am pretty desperate for the most lightweight, breathable, ventilated, moisture wicking tapered bike pant for summer riding...
    Gloves: I use Mechanix Gloves. Breathable enough, far more durable and far less expensive than "mountain biking" gloves.

Pants: You probably need to accept the ticks. You could wear full legged cycling pants, I suppose. But that would be horribly hot in the summer. Personally, I don't like wearing them in the fall or spring because they're too hot.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Just Ride
    Last year I rode with gloves. Some specialized type. They had the gel palm and all. But the got torn on a road ride when I went down. So this year I'm going gloveless thus far. I almost prefer it actually. Mostly because I have other things I want to spend my money on, not all bike related. I'll probably pick up some kind of gloves later in the year though.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have had great luck with the Fox mtb gloves ; I used to use Motorcross gloves and also use mechanix gloves.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

mountain bike gloves

Mechanix.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Best gloves are the mechanics gloves available at any lowes or home depot.

Huckin' trails

mountain bike gloves

Mechanix gloves are very great value and durability. Plus they now have a very wide selection, take a look at mechanix.com

Also a good online store I found who carry almost all of the Mechanix gloves with good prices and fair shipping rates is T.A.S.C.O Safety, which stands for Texas American Safety Company if I recall right.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i got a set of Fox Dirtpaw gloves off ebay, paid $17 brand new, only have a few rides under my belt with them and they seem to be working great. Grippy, breathable, and they have a nice soft area around the back of your thumb that is pleasant to wipe your face with mid ride.

saddlemeat
    I like the FirmGrip Utility gloves from Home Depot, no velcro fastener at the wrist to futz with and I have never had a problem with my gloves sliding off. They also sell a half finger glove with a big brow mop on the back of the thumb by Grease Monkey which I like, although it does have a wrist velcro. I mostly ride barehanded in the hot summer months.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    I don't normally wear gloves... but when I do, I wear the 661 Raji.

mtbr member
    The fox dirtpaws are awesome but a lot heavier duty. For light XC type glove thats light and breathable I like the Answer Fall Line XC. Very breathable and light and well made. Have lasted me a while.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: mountain bike gloves

I ride with the Novara Headwind gloves from rei and I love them. You can also operate touch screens with them. Nice feature. They keep my hands relatively dry and i love the grip/cushion. Also keep my calluses from getting worse.

Tactical Nightmare
    Dakine Sentinel. Best glove I have had, period. Very comfortable, super durable (I'm on 1 year with mine of 3x per week riding, and getting washed almost every time), they breathe pretty well for full finger, and the best part about them......

They have a snot/sweat wiper on the thumb that is the absolute best idea ever! My Fox DirtPaws don't have this and I kill my nose and face when I wear them, thinking I have my Dakine's on!

Dakine Bike : Sentinel
    - "The true object of all human life is play" - GK Chesterton
    - 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    - http://teamdirt.org/

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just got a pair of the Sentinel's myself and couldn't be more stoked! Great blend of materials; perfect for the hot dry days in the high desert.

mtbr member
    I use Pearl Izumi gloves. Perfect fit, padding, and it's well ventilated.
    Amazon.com: Pearl Izumi Men's Select Glove: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Last year I rode with gloves. Some specialized type. They had the gel palm and all. But the got torn on a road ride when I went down. So this year I'm going gloveless thus far. I almost prefer it actually. Mostly because I have other things I want to spend my money on, not all bike related. I'll probably pick up some kind of gloves later in the year though.
    Not trying to be a smartass but you are not going to prefer it after your next wreck where you try to break your fall with your hands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: mountain bike gloves

Have you seen a medical bill lately. $10 gloves are a WHOLE lot cheaper

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeNudem View Post
    Not trying to be a smartass but you are not going to prefer it after your next wreck where you try to break your fall with your hands.
    This.

Being able to wipe my own ass is paramount so it's gloves on while riding the MTB or my primary transpo sport/tour motorcycle. For the MTB, I wear Thor MX gloves that I buy on the cheap off ebaY. They're made for crashing.

mtbr member
    I use the Fox Dirtpaws too. I have super tiny hands and even most women's gloves don't fit me, so I like the fox ones because I can get them in youth sizes and they actually fit well.

Probably drunk right now

Um, okay... I'll bite...

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    A recent, local incident. Warning, if you don't like blood, bone and tendon, don't click on the picture.

A few quotes from the link:
    Yeah it was meaty. Surprisingly little blood and I wasn't feeling anything at the time. It was strange to spread my fingers and see into my knuckle.

The ER guy said it was good I had a glove on. Otherwise he'd have been cleaning little bits of tree out for quite a bit before getting to the stitches.

Earthriders Forum ? View topic - Tree > Finger
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC View Post
    A recent, local incident. Warning, if you don't like blood, bone and tendon, don't click on the picture.

A few quotes from the link:
    Yeah it was meaty. Surprisingly little blood and I wasn't feeling anything at the time. It was strange to spread my fingers and see into my knuckle.

The ER guy said it was good I had a glove on. Otherwise he'd have been cleaning little bits of tree out for quite a bit before getting to the stitches.

Earthriders Forum ? View topic - Tree > Finger
    Ouch! I had an accident jumping when I was a kid. I landed way off balance and put my hand out to break my fall. By some ridiculous chance, the end of the handlebar crushed the tip of my left middle finger as I hit the ground. Doc told me the same thing, I was lucky to have been wearing gloves. If not, I may have ripped the tip of my finger off. Somehow he managed to stitch it back together.

I did this less than two weeks before my parents were taking me to Disney World. At nine years old, I was very unamused to be dealing with this injury while on vacation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast