Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Motobecane Fantom team vs Trek Fuel ex 9

Hi Guys,

Looking to get a full suspension bike and was settled on the trek fuel ex 9 at my LBS for $2500 when someone told me about bikesdirect and the Motobecane. It looks like the Motobecane Fantom Team with XTR components is a pretty sweet deal. Am I missing something? How can it be so much cheaper than the trek and yet have better components?

Should I get the motobecane or the Trek?

Thanks
    Sal

I'm SUCH a square....
    the frame is the heart of the ride, and motobecane has no real heart.

7005 alu turds. polished.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    like big pedaler said

and

imo the fork and shock for the trek are nicer. trek frame/suspension dual pivot is much nicer, and the bike looks better. if you're really looking to save a buck go for the motobecane otherwise the e9 is a much better bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've had my EX9 for about 3 weeks now and love it. Huge difference coming from a Giant Reign. The suspension rides just deep (in feeling) as the Reign and I shaved 6 lbs. by going to the EX9.

Still getting used to it but every ride just feels better and better. Having a lot more fun on it than the Reign, esp on the downhills.

Great bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Find a shop in your area that sells Giant and take a look at the Trance X. For $2500 you can probably get one of the higher level Trance X's on closeout. The 08 and 09 frames are the same, the component levels will be slightly different. The suspension design is one of the better ones out there and they come lined up with a nice fixing of components.

I did a lot of research looking for bikes that compare to those with dw link and the maestro rated high up there. It's a 4 bar virtual pivot system much like VPP or dwlink. After doing the research I settled on a Trance X frame. I was pleasantly surprised when I was looking through an old MTBR from last year and saw a trail bike shootout and the Trance X won the shootout.

Anyways, do you own research, but don't look past Giant's line up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    $2500 for a EX9 is a real sweet deal. If I remember
    right that is about a $1000 off. I don't know about
    Motobecane, but trek has a lifetime warrenty on their
    frames.

Best, John

I'm SUCH a square....
    FYI, Motobecane doesn't stand behind their stuff, either. Broke a frame, full suss, KHS FXT clone, just COMMUTING, and had to eat it.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

~Disc~Golf~
    *IF* you buy an online bike, I'd look at Sette.
    there's my $1-98
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

sizing

I believe Trek makes better frames, no doubt. I also have a question regarding this topic. I own motobecane phantom, the biggest size available (20.5 I think) and it feels a little bit small for me. And would like to swap the frame for Trek fuel ex 9 - XL. I was comparing the geometry of each frame but it is hard for me to figure out which frame will feel bigger and don't have the opp to demo Trek. Can you help please?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by rapurk View Post
    I believe Trek makes better frames, no doubt. I also have a question regarding this topic. I own motobecane phantom, the biggest size available (20.5 I think) and it feels a little bit small for me. And would like to swap the frame for Trek fuel ex 9 - XL. I was comparing the geometry of each frame but it is hard for me to figure out which frame will feel bigger and don't have the opp to demo Trek. Can you help please?
    No but one question, how did you manage to come across this THREE year old thread? Just surfing the site I imagine.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 03-01-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    yeah, just browsing ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Someone needs a calculator.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    Someone needs a calculator.
    Ha,ha you got me. I noticed it was an old thread then when I went to post that I glanced up and mistakingly saw his join date not his post date. 2007'
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

banned
    Feb 2012
    Bikes Direct is an absolute leech of a company. They hang nice parts on sh*tty frames.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
    Bikes Direct is an absolute leech of a company. They hang nice parts on sh*tty frames.
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Titanium junkie
    Why all the hate on Motobecane. If it is what people can afford,
    and the bikes ride well, who cares?
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Why all the hate on Motobecane. If it is what people can afford,
    and the bikes ride well, who cares?
    Well, there is that.

Better two wheels than none at all.

Another Retro Grouch
    Trek is a quality American product, Moto is made in China. Support USA workers, buy Trek.

Oh, Trek is made in China too? So what is the difference? OK, I see...Support Trek, they employ USA marketeers!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    bottom line, if a swap my motobecane frame for trek, will the trek feel bigger just by comparing the below 2 geometry tables? it seems to me like the trek should feel bigger. Both would be the XL sizes.

Motobecane USA

COMPARE TO

Trek Bicycle

AZ
    banned
    bottom line, if a swap my motobecane frame for trek, will the trek feel bigger just by comparing the below 2 geometry tables? it seems to me like the trek should feel bigger. Both would be the XL sizes.

Motobecane USA

COMPARE TO

Trek Bicycle

The Trek has a longer effective top tube measurement so the answer is YES, a Trek will feel larger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    you said larger, but will it help me with my issue? I know that both frames are different but the seat tube is longer on motobecane. The issue I have is that to have proper leg extensions I compensate it with rising the seat post - probably too high. but then I feel like I lean too much forward and have sore neck and shoulders when going for longer ride.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Perhaps you should consider a stem with a positive rise on it?

AZ
    banned
    you said larger, but will it help me with my issue? I know that both frames are different but the seat tube is longer on motobecane. The issue I have is that to have proper leg extensions I compensate it with rising the seat post - probably too high. but then I feel like I lean too much forward and have sore neck and shoulders when going for longer ride.

You would better served by getting a comprehensive fitting by a competent person. Fitting bikes is virtually impossible over the internet.

Another Retro Grouch
    bottom line, if a swap my motobecane frame for trek, will the trek feel bigger just by comparing the below 2 geometry tables?
    For the same fit, the Trek will use a ~50mm shorter stem. That's two inches, also the front wheel is 2 inches further ahead of your feets. IMHO, BD has some stupid frame geometry querkes, the 26" FS ETT is one of them, too short for a large frame..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    as much as I would like to demo the EX9, no close by retailer has this model assembled. And I just want to get the frame and use my current components.
    comparing all the available measurements over and over but it is hard to imagine what it does with the frame and riders position on the bike. The fact Motobecane has not listed the head tube length seems like a big missing factor. What would be the most important number to look at when figuring out if the EX9 frame will help me with the issue of sitting too high above the handle bar?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast