Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
  1. #1
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,891

    Most talented MTB rider ever?

    A question with no final answer, of course. Can't argue with the names mentioned in this article:

    The Question: Who is the most talented bike rider ever?

    But if the criteria is all round master, how can none of these journalists mention BRIAN LOPES??

    I mean c'mon now. Wins at all disciplines - including road bike. Still kicking ass at 40 Y/O and pummeling riders 1/2 his age. Amazing fitness, awesome bike handling skills. Tomac was the prototype, Lopes is the final product.

    Discuss...
    Last edited by dwt; 12-02-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  2. #2
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,997
    Tinker does not get the respect he deserves.

  3. #3
    Rock and/or Roll
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    439
    Good call on Tinker! He's been around since the 70's! BMX pro, skatepark and F1 race pioneer, road racer, and champion xc racer.
    My 2nd goes to Tomac or Lopes, but all these guys were talented riders in many different disciplines.

  4. #4
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    My 2nd goes to Tomac or Lopes, but all these guys were talented riders in many different disciplines.
    Definitely. All around multiple talent is the ticket.

    Are there any from the younger generations in the Tomac/Lopes mode? Or Juarez? I only know the old guys.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrAitchGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    206
    Pretty sure it's me
    I scurry away with my hardtail between my legs

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,649
    Tinker has been around longer than most, and is
    still racing.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bigfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    Good call on Tinker! He's been around since the 70's! BMX pro, skatepark and F1 race pioneer, road racer, and champion xc racer.
    My 2nd goes to Tomac or Lopes, but all these guys were talented riders in many different disciplines.
    And don't forget Ultramarathon Road Cycling; 3rd. 2006 Race Across America, 1st. 2006 Heart of the South 500-mile, 2nd 2005 Furnace Creek 508.

    He'll be 52 in March and is still whooping up on riders 1/2 his age!
    "Yeah, Humboldt County is way the %#@* up there, but worth it!"

  8. #8
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,891
    Ultra Endurance racing is f'd up AFAIC and has little to do with all around biking skills. BFD if you like pain and want to actually hurt your health

    http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/201...8/hlsa0618.htm

    I'm not impressed

    I'll take the athleticism and strength of a Tomac or a Lopes all day long
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,535
    Tomac and Lopes for covering many different styles of riding and crushing.

    However, "talent" is a strange word. Nobody can deny that any of the riders mentioned in the article are gifted, but they also work their asses off. "Talent" can only take a person so far, then hard work, passion, diet, training, determination and having great people around them as coaches and advisors takes them to ultimate levels.

    I hate it when I see unmotivated talented people. Every once in awhile you meet somebody who has incredible ability, but is completely lazy.

    The Tomacs/Lopes/Tinkers of the world are not those types.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    113
    Anne Caro

    She totally dominated mountain biking - 13 rainbow jerseys in downhill, 4x & dual!
    won an olympic gold in BMX
    and still remains unbeatable to this day in Enduro racing

    I don't think anyone else comes close...

  11. #11
    human dehumidifier
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,154
    Ned or Tomac
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

  12. #12
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Ned or Tomac
    Love Ned. But Tomac gave him a run for the money XC and excelled in DH as well. Ned raced DH but AFAIK not with Tomac's success or notoriety.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,589
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    A question with no final answer, of course. Can't argue with the names mentioned in this article:

    The Question: Who is the most talented bike rider ever?

    But if the criteria is all round master, how can none of these journalists mention BRIAN LOPES??

    I mean c'mon now. Wins at all disciplines - including road bike. Still kicking ass at 40 Y/O and pummeling riders 1/2 his age. Amazing fitness, awesome bike handling skills. Tomac was the prototype, Lopes is the final product.

    Discuss...
    Lopes doesn't touch Tomac in strength, while Lopes and Tomac are similar in DH/bike handling skills.

    Tomac was World Champ in XC, silver in DH, many time DH national champ, many time XC national champ, BMX champ, US National Criterium champ etc. Lopes doesn't come near that.

    Lopes is stronger than your average DHer, but most of the best DHers are very strong (I think it's a necessary component of being a good DHer).

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,589
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Love Ned. But Tomac gave him a run for the money XC and excelled in DH as well. Ned raced DH but AFAIK not with Tomac's success or notoriety.
    Ned didn't race DH and wasn't noted to be a fast descender. Neither was Tinker for some reason...

    Paul Thomasberg is another under-rated all arounder. He was a notch behind Tomac in both XC and DH.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 410sprint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    81
    Hands down, Lopes and Juarez.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,589
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    Hands down, Lopes and Juarez.
    You must mean if they were combined with Lopes having Juarez' fitness.

    Tomac had it all in one package and then some.

  17. #17
    Sweat is just fat crying.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Ned didn't race DH and wasn't noted to be a fast descender. Neither was Tinker for some reason...

    Paul Thomasberg is another under-rated all arounder. He was a notch behind Tomac in both XC and DH.
    And Ned is still racing. He gets my vote.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

  18. #18
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Tomac had it all in one package and then some.
    No doubt. He and Ned are in the generation I am, and I have the same bias. Actually, Ned is 12 years older than Tomac, while Tomac is only 4 years older than Lopes

    Two points about Lopes:

    1) He was not mentioned in the "Best" article, but should have been. Tomac was and deservedly so. He was kind of the Babe Ruth of mtb.

    2) Don't sell Lopes' accomplishments short. He won over 19 titles in his mountain biking career: 9 National Championship titles, 6 UCI World Cup Championship and 4 World Championships. He has more UCI World Cup career wins than any other male mountain biker in the history of the sport.

    http://www.brianlopes.com/bio.html

    As far as still competing:

    http://www.bikemag.com/news/brian-lo...xc-eliminator/

    Since Lopes and Johnny T are close in age, maybe they should duke it out and settle this. :-)
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  19. #19
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,891
    I was thinking Lopes when I read the thread title and before I even opened it.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

    http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fillet-brazed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,589
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    No doubt. He and Ned are in the generation I am, and I have the same bias. Actually, Ned is 12 years older than Tomac, while Tomac is only 4 years older than Lopes

    Two points about Lopes:

    1) He was not mentioned in the "Best" article, but should have been. Tomac was and deservedly so. He was kind of the Babe Ruth of mtb.

    2) Don't sell Lopes' accomplishments short. He won over 19 titles in his mountain biking career: 9 National Championship titles, 6 UCI World Cup Championship and 4 World Championships. He has more UCI World Cup career wins than any other male mountain biker in the history of the sport.

    Brian Lopes - 4x MTB World World Champion.

    As far as still competing:

    Brian Lopes Wins Inaugural World Cup XC Eliminator

    Since Lopes and Johnny T are close in age, maybe they should duke it out and settle this. :-)
    There's no doubt Lopes is a super serious stud.

    I don't get the longevity thing as a reason to call someone talented. I do think it's really cool though that Ned keeps hammering like he does. The guy won't stop. It'd be fun to have Ned, Tinker, and Johnny T race together in an XC race.

  21. #21
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post

    I don't get the longevity thing as a reason to call someone talented..
    It is if they still beat younger up and coming riders. Two aspects: older, but still the best(as in most talented).

    What would really be cool would be for the two all time best, Tomac and Lopes (4 years apart in age) to go head to head XC, DH, and Enduro. Ned and Tinker I don't think could hang DH. Those who don't consider Lopes as a strong XC rider would be blown away. Take it to Vegas.

    Brian Lopes - 4x MTB World World Champion.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  22. #22
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,267
    Me actually, but as my high school counselor said, I'm just not living up to my potential.
    I don't rattle.

  23. #23
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Me actually, but as my high school counselor said, I'm just not living up to my potential.
    As my deceased partner used to say: "If you had any potential, you would have lived up to it by now"
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  24. #24
    usually cranky
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,950
    as far as dirt only goes it has got to be lopes. he can win a bmx race, a 4x race, ds, dh, xc whatever. even a solid dirt jumper.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BacDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    560
    Any bike, any terrain, the best rider I've seen hands down, is Martyn Ashton.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •