Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Most overpriced things in Mountain Biking

I just thought it would be fun to have a thread about things that cost way more then they should. What do you think is the most overpriced item in biking, either in terms or what it is worth, or what it costs to produce vs selling price.
    Here is my top 5.

1. Stans Sealent. This stuff was like 5 dollars a botle when it frist came out. Now its like 25. Its freaking latex in an oil bottle. Even real oil that had to be drilled out of the ground and refined in like 25% the cost of this stuff. Works good but there is some serious markup there. I bet it cost 1 dollar to make the bottle

2. Garmin Edge 705. Holy hell I could buy a real computer for the cost of one of these. GPS's for your car are like 1/3 the cost of one of these and they have bigger screens and almost certainly cost about the same to make.

3. S-works Epic. $8500 are you serious

4. Gu's, Recovery drinks, bars etc. All of this so called performance food is so expensive considering what you pay for real food. Gu is not that different from syrup or honey either of which you can get a big bottle of for like 5 bucks. A smaller bottle of Hammer Gel costs 25. The individual packs are even crasier.

5. The last thing that I think cost way more then it should are Helmets. Particually high end ones. 230 dollars for an S-works Helmet. 160 for a Decibel. These are chunks of styrofoam with holes cut in them and a plastic top. I know there are less expensive ones but most are still in the 100 dollar range.

So those are some of the things I think I way overpriced. Not saying I don't use them or they are not worth it, just thought it would be a fun thread. Seems like bike stuff is just getting way too costly. Its a bike not a Stealth Fighter Jet.

So what do you think is price gouged.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

those are Rollercams...
    Sidi shoes. Great shoes but ridiculously priced.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shimano replacement cranksetplates. A one notch lower crankset costs what 3 plates cost.
    About the expensive helmets, besides protecting you better, they encourage you to not land on your head. So either way, you're still winning.

TLL
    mtbr member

list pricing

X.0 Trigger shifters and X.0 Rear derailleur. XTR is just as bad. $230.
    Fox Forx. Specifically, the Fox 40. $1600.
    Salsa Gordo rims. $100 a pop.
    Crank Bros. Acid-3 pedals. $300?
    Hammerschmidt. $700 plus.
    Ellsworth sells a Ti MTB for $10k
    Ellsworth wheels. $900 for 36 points of engagement. Wow.

We should do a best bang for the buck thread as well.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whats a Crankset plate?

Is that a Chainring. I agree chainrings are way spendy

PM me

What could go wrong ...
    derailleur hangers ... $25 for about $1 worth of aluminum
    my bike is 2 months old and I'm on my 3rd one

1st one - when I got the frame the hanger was bent - shop sent me 1 and I bought a spare
    2nd one - tree branch caught it and ripped it off
    3rd one is on there now
    Last edited by Zoke2; 10-04-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    scott genius limited- msrp $13,225.00
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/category/1662/genius

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How could I forget!? Cassettes!
    You're paying twice the price to shave a few grams when looking at XT and XTR. This happens with most shimano gear.

Also: Ceramic Rims
    almost 1K for a wheelset that you'll end up trashing like the last one

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes thats nuts

A 22 lb 6 inch bike is pretty cool tho. I bet they could sell alot of them for 3000.

PM me

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    headset installation tools: come on? $150 for a bolt and two washers?
    Bike work stands - again, you can make one for like $60
    Tires - $100 for a full set of Nevegals that wear out in a riding season or two
    Disc Rotors - hayes and high end avids both retail for $45 at my LBS. I could by a new set of BB7's with the rotors I want for $15 more.
    Spoke wrenches - park tool, I am talking to you here
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoke2
    derailleur hangers ... $25 for about $1 worth of aluminum
    my bike is 2 months old and I'm on my 3rd one
    save $$$ and pick better lines

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Medical costs for broken bones.

Gas for the road trip.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

Drunk Poster
    thats why its called buycycling.
    =)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Almost $300 for a short sleeve jersey.

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/ASSWHT48
    "Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances of survival for life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." -Albert Einstein

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    About the expensive helmets, besides protecting you better, they encourage you to not land on your head. So either way, you're still winning.
    Is there any evidence that a more expensive helmet protects your head better?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway

So what do you think is price gouged.
    A $130 headset.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Shorts and jerseys...I struggle with the fact they (insert name here) are make a nice utilitarian piece of bike clothing and then put lipstick on it and force us into buying a fashion statement. Then sticking us with $100 for baggy shorts or $80 for a polyester jersey.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by jawndoe
    thats why its called buycycling.
    WINNER

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by b4 stealth
    Tires - $100 for a full set of Nevegals that wear out in a riding season or two
    :
    You get a season or two out of your tires? HMMMMMM.

I get 3 to 6 weeks out of Kendas and about three months out of similar Maxxis tires.
    I ride 2-3 days a week and about 18 miles each ride.

Still, $80 - $100 for tires. You can buy a whole set of tires for an econo car for about that much.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Cool thread. I think nearly everything about mountain biking is ridiculously expensive. I love the hobby, but think about what a typical FS rig goes for. You can easily pick up a good MX or ATV for those prices. Even look at BMX. Granted the bikes aren't FS, but the technology is similar. Somehow BMX stuff is much, much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    All 2009 bikes. Those prices are insane.
    "My scraper bike go hard, I don't need no car."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Yea but...

Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    scott genius limited- msrp $13,225.00
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/category/1662/genius

Don't you want one? That is the sweetest bike I have ever seen. I don't really care what it costs, I want one.

WTB saddle- shadow V $165 of pain some plastic and fake leather. what? 25 bucks in parts?

http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/racing/shadowv/
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Is there any evidence that a more expensive helmet protects your head better?

Actually, there wasa study about 10 years ago which showed that helmets with many vents are actually LESS safer than much cheaper helmets. Makes sense as there are so many openings and so little protection for the noggin.

Drunk Poster
    About Helmets, I wear a cheapie $30 Bell Helmet. If I crash on it, its being replaced with another $30 helmet. Paying $230 for a helmet is like spending $500 on the Rock Racing uniform kit. There are places that sell shirts that are just as good as Bike Jerseys when it comes to moisture wicking and breathabilty properties for much less. If you don't like a $130 headset, well then don't put one on your bike, we aren't holding a gun to your head to do so. $8500 S-Works Epic.. yeah thats pricey but if you don't like the price get a custom Ventana built up, or something cheaper. Just Remember what you are buying. I am pretty sure if you can afford the new Epic, and are seriously considering it then the price might not be such a bad thing. Just realize that the weak dollar has contributed to this situation too. Like I said its Buycycling. One person buys something from the LBS only to have it cycled down to another user later. It sucks but sometimes if you need to have "The Best" you have to pay the costs associated with "The Best". If you want quality and want to keep money in your wallet get what you want used, or New Old Stock.

Funny someone mentioned Stan's... yesterday I went to the LBS to pick some up and the mechanic said goto the hardware store and get some liquid latex and a bit of silica sand. Yeah he knew it was a rip off too. But you know what I am will to pay for it, because I don't use THAT much Stan's. Having two wheelsets helps.

Look a brand new Ferrari isn't cheap either. But I can get a used one for 20k if I look around.
    =)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast