Most overpriced things in Mountain Biking
I just thought it would be fun to have a thread about things that cost way more then they should. What do you think is the most overpriced item in biking, either in terms or what it is worth, or what it costs to produce vs selling price.
Here is my top 5.
1. Stans Sealent. This stuff was like 5 dollars a botle when it frist came out. Now its like 25. Its freaking latex in an oil bottle. Even real oil that had to be drilled out of the ground and refined in like 25% the cost of this stuff. Works good but there is some serious markup there. I bet it cost 1 dollar to make the bottle
2. Garmin Edge 705. Holy hell I could buy a real computer for the cost of one of these. GPS's for your car are like 1/3 the cost of one of these and they have bigger screens and almost certainly cost about the same to make.
3. S-works Epic. $8500 are you serious
4. Gu's, Recovery drinks, bars etc. All of this so called performance food is so expensive considering what you pay for real food. Gu is not that different from syrup or honey either of which you can get a big bottle of for like 5 bucks. A smaller bottle of Hammer Gel costs 25. The individual packs are even crasier.
5. The last thing that I think cost way more then it should are Helmets. Particually high end ones. 230 dollars for an S-works Helmet. 160 for a Decibel. These are chunks of styrofoam with holes cut in them and a plastic top. I know there are less expensive ones but most are still in the 100 dollar range.
So those are some of the things I think I way overpriced. Not saying I don't use them or they are not worth it, just thought it would be a fun thread. Seems like bike stuff is just getting way too costly. Its a bike not a Stealth Fighter Jet.
So what do you think is price gouged.