Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    mtbr member
    People are missing the point. High end mountain bikes/equipment is a relatively small market. Production economies of scale do not exist. The best example is the $12 pair of gloves. They probably sell 1 million units of that SKU to Home Depot per year. They pay $2.25 and resell to HD for $4, who in turn resells to you for $12. Endemic MTB and racing companies e.g. Fox, Alpinestars, etc are probably lucky to sell 5000 pairs of any single glove SKU per year. Their production cost is probably $14.50. They resell to the LBS for $24 who in turn sells them to you at $40. That's assuming you pay full price (doubtful). As you can see the $12 glove is cheaper to purchase but on a percentage basis the retailer is more profitable. This scenario repeats itself across the MTB industry. Low unit production = increased cost, which can not be completely passed on to the consumer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Jerseys and jackets for sure. I just bought a $179 wind jacket/jersey on sale at REI for $73...why couldn't it be that price to begin with? Seriously. The markup on shiz like this is insane. Don't even get me started on gear for your bike, not the stuff we don.
    REI lost money on that transaction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't mind spending a bit more for a piece of kit that will last, or has a great warranty, etc. Example - I paid quite a bit for a pair of awesome orange Race Face Atlas cranks. Not just because of teh color, but because they carry a lifetime warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Carbon fibre mid-to-long travel FS frames. Least advantage for most expense equation in any kind of bicycling to my mind.

That, and anything Specialized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Jerseys and jackets for sure. I just bought a $179 wind jacket/jersey on sale at REI for $73...why couldn't it be that price to begin with? Seriously. The markup on shiz like this is insane. Don't even get me started on gear for your bike, not the stuff we don.
    Thats why you wait till Sh** is out of season.

Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The doctor bills when you crash real bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    Anything carbon, e.g., $150 carbon handlebars and seatposts.
    pricey yes but the handlebar at least gives a different feel to the bike so that the 120$ carbon piece you scour the internet to find on sale might be worth it. Seat post just the weight, but if you want a really light bike this may be one of the easier ways to lop off the ounces. Carbon stem though stupid as there are lighter aluminum ones. Carbon wheels, i am trying to convince myself i need this ...suddenly i have twice as much $ into my bike as what it originally costed , what a rip off

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    I think carbon frames (even though I dig mine) are way overpriced. I think Chris King Headsets are not too overpriced. They last forever and you can always sell them used and get back 50% of your investment. But then again.....KevinGT makes a damn fine point.
    Most halfway decent headsets will last forever, unless the bearings are overloaded via user error.

I've got a couple of inexpensive headsets that are 26 and 15 years old that have never had maintenance, and they still run smooth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    An easier and shorter list would be "Bicycles and bicycle related" items that aren't over priced.

Anyhow, I'll play along...

CO2 cartridges. A single 12 gr CO2 cost about $2-3 at my local bike shop. You can buy a box (15) of them at Walmart for $12 (slightly less thn a buck a piece).

toscano
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    An easier and shorter list would be "Bicycles and bicycle related" items that aren't over priced.

Anyhow, I'll play along...

CO2 cartridges. A single 12 gr CO2 cost about $2-3 at my local bike shop. You can buy a box (15) of them at Walmart for $12 (slightly less thn a buck a piece).
    I fully agree.
    There are many reasons that may help to explain certain prices. The relationship between supply and demand is dependent on many factors, some logical, others irrational. Not only about bikes.
    Some prices are crazy because there is a large number of people on this planet willing to pay those prices. Production and distribution have a very little impact on the final price, only marketing counts. Luis Vuitton, Ferrari, Rolex, Gucci etc are not very different from Colnago and Specialized.
    Only our critical thinking can help us to make the right choices and avoid the wrong ones, of course every biker has its own head, so each one indicates different products.
    I am 45 yo, I am passionate about outdoor from a long time, I think that when you exceed certain prices, you are not looking for something special, you like to show that kind of gear...

Live 2 Ride
    How about $600 dollar bikes?
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dead Horse View Post
    Carbon fibre mid-to-long travel FS frames. Least advantage for most expense equation in any kind of bicycling to my mind.

That, and anything Specialized.
    Give me an example of something from Specialized that is anymore overpriced than things form other major bicycle companies?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Give me an example of something from Specialized that is anymore overpriced than things form other major bicycle companies?
    Specialized Bicycle Components

How about $9500??

Pretty sure a different bike manufacturer could make a carbon fiber 29er for less with the same or comparable parts.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Chain guides for SS or 1 x # setups.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    An S-Works Tarmac SL4 DI2 for the low sum of $12 000 ROFLMAO, it costs more than a Pinarello Dogma 2.
    An S-Works Venge super record for $14 000, i think they just plucked this number out of thin air.
    An S-Works Venge DI2 for $12 000, I never thought numbers can go so high.
    They have a number of other bikes in the 12k-14k range.
    Specialized have always been on another planet when it comes to pricing.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tuvok View Post
    Chain guides for SS or 1 x # setups.
    Who sells (or buys) SS chain guides?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009

+1

Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    People are missing the point. High end mountain bikes/equipment is a relatively small market. Production economies of scale do not exist. The best example is the $12 pair of gloves. They probably sell 1 million units of that SKU to Home Depot per year. They pay $2.25 and resell to HD for $4, who in turn resells to you for $12. Endemic MTB and racing companies e.g. Fox, Alpinestars, etc are probably lucky to sell 5000 pairs of any single glove SKU per year. Their production cost is probably $14.50. They resell to the LBS for $24 who in turn sells them to you at $40. That's assuming you pay full price (doubtful). As you can see the $12 glove is cheaper to purchase but on a percentage basis the retailer is more profitable. This scenario repeats itself across the MTB industry. Low unit production = increased cost, which can not be completely passed on to the consumer.
    I couldn't agree more. Most people do not understand the formulas used to figure pricing. Many Americans are used to lower prices from Chinese imports. So much so, the idea of paying for quality has gone out the window. I agree that many things are expensive but you usually get what you pay for.

Mulleticious
    The cost of your cardiologist 'cos you thought MTB was too expensive and sat on your arse for the last two decades...

BTW the Chinese are comin' and the market is growing - prices will start falling soon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    The cost of your cardiologist 'cos you thought MTB was too expensive and sat on your arse for the last two decades...

BTW the Chinese are comin' and the market is growing - prices will start falling soon
    I've started to see Chinese carbon frames. Their owners seem happy with the quality.

Afric Pepperbird
    Butthurt (see the OC forum)

mtbr member
    How about entry level bikes using cheap parts going for $500.00 or more...If you read reviews on the parts they are putting on them they are called junk..SR cranks and shocks and tektro brakes and cheap wheels that bend on your first drop or jump...Entry levelBikes being sold i think are the biggest rip offs in the industry..Why pay 500 for a bike to have to replace everything on it? Was that frame really worth 500 bucks?...Best deal anyplace ive found for the money considering other brands use the same stuff for almost double the price.....Mountain Bikes | FRONT SUSPENSION 26 | MOTOBECANE | 450HT ORANGE | BikeShopWarehouse.com | The new Motobecane 450HT renews the long tradition Motobecane has for offering screaming mountain bikes that won't make you cry when you pay for them! <

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    is there anything underpriced?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    is there anything underpriced?
    Yes, Labor for building trails. Most is donated for free and the local economies reap the benefits.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Overpriced vs Not-Worth-It

I think "overpriced" and "not worth the money" are two different things, but are being used interchangeably in this thread.

Whether something is "worth the money" is completely subjective, and will change from person to person. This will be affected by how useful an individual finds an item, but also by how much disposable income they have to spend on the sport. In other words, everyone's answer to this is valid.

Overpriced (in my mind) means the item COULD be sold for less, and still be a viable product to sell. This can happen when there is little competition in the market for a given product, or when one product has some value associated with it that has little to do with the cost of designing and producing it.

This (overpriced) is where the general public's complete lack of understanding of the business of developing, manufacturing, and bring something to the customer shows itself. This thread is full of examples of this.

So, something could be reasonably priced for what it is but still not be worth the money to someone. Conversely, something could be overpriced, and yet be worth the money to an individual.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Over-priced vs Worth the price.

I hear what you are saying. Lets look at a couple of products that I think are truly over priced, and not worth what people are asked to pay.

1. Shimano brake fluid.

A call to a LBS and I was quoted $20 for 50ml of shimano mineral oil. How much do you think shimano pays for 50ml of oil??. I run Pentosin CHF 7.1 in my shimano brakes and it has been working great for 5 years. 1 Liter of CHF costs around 15 dollars. So its 40 cents per ml from shimano or 1.5 cents per ml from an auto parts store. Thats 26 times the cost. You can talk all day about people not understanding how business works but when a comsumer can buy something for 26 times less that product is overpriced. Shimano does not manufacter the fluid. They purchase it in bulk for way less then I can get it for at an auto parts store and then bottle it and resell. The consumer pays 26 times what is necessary for the fluid for no other reason then shimano wants to make money. They could retail a bottle of fluid for $5 and still make a profit. That is the defination of an overpriced product.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast