Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I dont know if anyone has mentioned them but...

Headset spacers are way to expensive. $2 to $10 a pieces for a little aluminum ring.
    Crazy.
    John

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    What are some non-biking alternatives to some of the "dry" lubes like pro-link, white lightning, boeshield, etc.?
    Liquid Wrench makes a spray-on dry lube. Less than $5 for a spray can, about 13-14 oz.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

climber
    Just looking for some single speed parts and came across this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-Component-Powerglide-409-Rasta-Derailleur-set-NEW_W0QQitemZ160289505800QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 60289505800&_trkparms=39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A1|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

current bid is $1,199 for both front and rear D.
    I have to admit, they do look really cool and really custom.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Regarding drinks and energy supplements. Bottles of gatorade about $0.97 where i work, and nutrition/powerbars are like $1-2. Is more then that really needed? Maybe I just don't go hardcore enough lol.

On the helmet thing, i have a $15 schwinn helmet from target. It is comfortable and has never failed me (though admittedly i have never landed fully on it but hey for now its good)

Now if you want to talk actual bike parts, it's pretty much all overpriced imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
    a point i feel a lot of people are missing is how much enjoyment do you get out of biking?

personally I cannot put a price on going out early in the morning, tearing up some fast singletrack for an hour or two puts me in an awesome frame of mind for the rest of the day.

for that I will pay top dollar to achieve this on a well manufactured/kitted out bike.
    I see your point, but you can still do that on a $50 bike or a $8000 one I know the differences are huge, just pointing out.
    Last edited by Whirl; 10-07-2008 at 05:13 AM.

GAME ON!
    bike tires cost as much as car tires
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Tubeless tires for $100+ a pair? I bet there's some element of price fixing going on.

I could understand certain things being expensive due to licensing fees to the patent holder but prices are just getting ridiculous. The funniest part is that most of these components are imported from Asia where the cost of labour is very low and counterfeiting is rampant.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting and fun thread.

I'll add jerseys.

Terry

Botox User
    Aug 2008
    Fox forks are definitely overpriced. I can't believe I just dropped $800 on one...

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Another vote for tubeless tires

I can buy a pair of tires for my Civic for less than my bike.

Helmets are up there too.

Aside from that I ride in C9 brand shirts, about $6 when on sale. Why pay someone else to be a neon sign advertising their goods ?

I stock up on Clif bars when they're on sale for $0.75.

I use my 2-3 times annual REI 20% off coupon for shorts, tools and parts, and combined w/ my REI Visa cash back to dividend, that I use for everything, I have an almost unlimited "account" w/ them.

mtbr member

Sidi Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Sidi shoes. Great shoes but ridiculously priced.
    I 2nd the price of Sidi. I just got a pair this past summer. I used a discount from Price Point, and all my points and still paid over $100.00 for them.

Good Shoe, but costly....
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member

Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Is there any evidence that a more expensive helmet protects your head better?
    Companies that sell helmets for as much as $230.00 can afford a little research and results.... So of course their products will come out looking good. Overall, I think we pay to much for a lot of stuff in this sport, but because we love it, we pay the cost....
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Perhaps if more people got involved in the sport some prices might come down, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I did just run across a $310 chainring in doing a search (a 36t 110bcd carbon and ti chainring), while not really a mountain bike chainring, it could be...

Do you think that if we applied the old adage "build it and they will come" to singletrack we could convince the government to do so on the basis of both the current economic meltdown (subsidies for US built bikes, market growing due to oil crisis type reasoning) and medical crisis (cyclists are healthier, help reduce govt healthcare costs). That could do wonders for adding more people to the sport....and if it didn't work out a lot more trail! I think I need to go make coffee or something...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jawndoe
    So to everyone that thinks that cycling products are over priced...

Want to start a new company then? If you think products can be cheaper cause they are just repacked then lets have a new line to exhibit at interbike next year at the first time area!
    http://www.bbbparts.com/

Low-cost, high-quality parts. I bought one of their headsets for my Santa Cruz Blur with thoughts of later replacing it with a Chris King. When I opened the box, I was greeted by a very lightweight headset, with sealed bearings. I think I paid like $35 for it and it is buttery smooth. I have looked into their other parts and they seem to have a philosophy of cheap, well-made products.

jones'in
    derailleur hangers

There's no reason that little piece of aluminum should cost $25, or even $15.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If these bike company's profits start to decline they'll be looking to the feds for a bailout!
    Larry

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nuggets
    If these bike company's profits start to decline they'll be looking to the feds for a bailout!
    It will be a rescue, not a bailout. The government will buy up all the worthless bikes.

- factotum -
    Overpriced? I'd say tires as most people do in here.

Some front hubs are overpriced. (About rear hubs I won't say a thing, because you have a lot of engineering in pawl systems and the like.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

No good Helmet Gripe

How come most of the helmet manufacturers don't sell replacement pads! I blow through pads in a year of riding and either have to improvise or buy a new helmet. And yes...helmet costs are too high although I'm sure we are all paying the price of all those bogus products liability lawsuits brought by those who have crashed....

Mud lover
    Mar 2007
    Its our fault a lot of stuff costs so much. If nobody bought any of it they'd have to reduce the prices.

Most of the sealed cable systems are way overpriced. Ergon grips are overpriced.

Most things are overpriced considering how popular cycling is and the sheer volume of manufacture of most items.
    My little BB7 resource.
    How to setup the Avid BB7

mtbr member
    BEER! The after ride beverage of choice is way overpriced. What, it's just a little water and some barley and hops.......

mtbr member
    derailleur hangers!! comeon!! its a very small farking piece of metal.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    LED lights are absolutely overpriced.
    $10 LED
    $10 electronics
    $10 wiring
    $40 battery
    $10 housing
    $100 profit

I built my own and have twice the performance at half the price of most commercial LED lighting systems.

I am planning on building another light that will be even 2/3rds brighter and a half the cost of my current lights.
    No doubt, they are overpriced, & if you can make a better one yourself cheaper - more power to you. But you only covered material cost. Here are some other items for your list:

Manufacturer's labor cost, building rent or purchase & maintenance, equipment cost & maintenance, & insurance of all sorts, Then there's development, warranty, & all sorts of administrative costs. Don't forget taxes & other government fees, plus everybody they need to hire to make sure their in compliance with all safety & envoronmental regulations. Oh yeah - the lawyers - can't leave out the lawyers

Then you get a similar list for the distributor & reseller (LBS or online). Add transportation cost somewhere. Then everybody in the supply chain gets a piece of the profit - some more than others & it probably isn't a fair distribution either.

On the other hand - volume purchasing can reduce the material cost quite a bit.

I'd like to upgrade the fork on my entry-level hardtail, but to get a decent fork with a little bit of adjustable damping costs more than my whole bike originally did. Forget it - I'll save up a couple more years & upgrade the whole bike instead - unless the bottom continues to drop out of the economy. In that case I'll just save.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

exacerbated member
    The most expencive thing in Mtn biking is the air lift out and the catscan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yup, der hangers. I've been running Giants (NRS, Trance, TranceX) and the LBS used to charge $10. I thought, "not cheap, but OK." Now TranceX is $15.

But my LBS usually has one in stock.

I carry one in my back pack. Maybe once a year I use it out of the pack and on the trail.

Best wishes to everyone,
    Terry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbne1
    How come most of the helmet manufacturers don't sell replacement pads! I blow through pads in a year of riding and either have to improvise or buy a new helmet. And yes...helmet costs are too high although I'm sure we are all paying the price of all those bogus products liability lawsuits brought by those who have crashed....

I have a Bell helmet and they sent me a set of replacement pads for free.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast