Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    a point i feel alot of people are missing is how much enjoyment do you get out of biking?

personally I cannot put a price on going out early in the morning, tearing up some fast singletrack for an hour or two puts me in an awesome frame of mind for the rest of the day.

for that I will pay top dollar to achieve this on a well manufactured/kitted out bike.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    The guy above was right about brake pads. A new rotor costs less than bb7 replacement pads. 20 dollars for 2 tiny brake pads that you don't need tools to install. The prices on some of these items amaze me. I need new brake pads so I can't avoid not paying 20 bucks. Therefore, they can set whatever price they believe is fair. You also have to keep in mind that there's not a lot of cyclists as compared to motorists so it's unfair to compare the price of cycling replacement parts to cars. Just wanted to put that out there.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    You get a season or two out of your tires? HMMMMMM.

I get 3 to 6 weeks out of Kendas and about three months out of similar Maxxis tires.
    I ride 2-3 days a week and about 18 miles each ride.

Still, $80 - $100 for tires. You can buy a whole set of tires for an econo car for about that much.

300 mi on a set of tires!!! At first I thought that just couldn't be right.....then I saw where you ride. Bootleg canyon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    GREASE!!!!!! It's amazing the price of "water-proof" grease for bikes. I bought some grease for a boat trailer's wheel bearings instead and I got more grease for A LOT less. Everything in this sport seems to be expensive. Oil for bike chains. Pedros, Park, all of them. You can buy a gallon of chainsaw chain oil for 5 bucks anywhere. You get a few ounces for 5 dollars if it's bike specific. There's also special tools for everything. Speaking of special tools park tools are WAY too expensive. I can buy an entire set that has a life time warranty and have 2 bucks left over instead of buying 1 park allen wrench. There's so many things it's just obsurd.
    According to Fogerson:
    You forgot costs to engineer, manufacture/assemble, ship, stock, sell, support, advertise, pay taxes, facilities, just to name a few. Unless a company publishes its gross and net margins on a product/product line, there is really no way estimate how much profit/loss they're making on something unless you know the company's operations OR have experience in the industry...you just can't add up what you think each component costs.
    Repackaging grease COSTS money and man hours. Those little bottles are expensive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfoxy76
    a point i feel alot of people are missing is how much enjoyment do you get out of biking?

personally I cannot put a price on going out early in the morning, tearing up some fast singletrack for an hour or two puts me in an awesome frame of mind for the rest of the day.

for that I will pay top dollar to achieve this on a well manufactured/kitted out bike.
    some people don't like the idea that biking could (and in some areas should) cost a lot less for the same thing. what if you started getting gouged at your favorite restaurant? sure you'd probably still go there and enjoy it, but it shouldnt cost so much.

also, i really agree on the repackaged oils and lubricants.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    "cylcling specific" tools. It even bugs me that when you look at pedals online, the site suggests buying a $15 "pedal wrench" from them as well so you can put them on. For $15 you can get a set of wrenches that are actually of much higher quality IMO. Of course you cant get a cassette tool, or BB tool at your local home improvement store.

Saddles. $180 for a piece of plastic covered in thin foam and leather, with 2 rods? But thats most high end components. I guess the price is even higher because there are so few produced as compared to lower end products.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by schro31185
    "cylcling specific" tools. It even bugs me that when you look at pedals online, the site suggests buying a $15 "pedal wrench" from them as well so you can put them on. For $15 you can get a set of wrenches that are actually of much higher quality IMO. Of course you cant get a cassette tool, or BB tool at your local home improvement store.
    Keep in mind though that for some pedals you will need a thinner wrench than is standard. Not a big deal if you have a grinder.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    GREASE!!!!!! It's amazing the price of "water-proof" grease for bikes. I bought some grease for a boat trailer's wheel bearings instead and I got more grease for A LOT less. Everything in this sport seems to be expensive. Oil for bike chains. Pedros, Park, all of them. You can buy a gallon of chainsaw chain oil for 5 bucks anywhere. You get a few ounces for 5 dollars if it's bike specific. There's also special tools for everything. Speaking of special tools park tools are WAY too expensive. I can buy an entire set that has a life time warranty and have 2 bucks left over instead of buying 1 park allen wrench. There's so many things it's just obsurd.
    What are some non-biking alternatives to some of the "dry" lubes like pro-link, white lightning, boeshield, etc.?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcxu
    any glasses over $20
    i learned this lesson from paddling my kayak. no sense in buying a high end pair for paddling or biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lubriplate grease and a Dualco dispenser are dirt cheap compared to the bike brands. Some just re-sell the Dualco guns and Lubriplate is available through industrial supply companies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    A lot of this stuff comes from China or Taiwan where an 8 year old chained in a cave is making it. Like tires, the company has about $2 in it ant then sells it for $50. I'm cool with you making a profit but that much is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am sure it's the marketing and branding costs, but many of the big name clothing companies are a joke. My Mt. Borah baggie type shorts are my best by far and they are made in WI, USA and sell for less money than Fox, Oakley, Pearl and REI house brand. I will buy more of them because I have not heard any news about slave labor in western WI.

don't thread on me
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    scott genius limited- msrp $13,225.00
    http://scottusa.com/us_en/category/1662/genius
    Appropriately named. Your "genius" would have to be "limited" to pay that much for a bike.

I just love their eloquent marketing hype....what is "overworked geometry"?
    sign here ________________________

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    No! The short sellers are to blame!
    No, no, you have it all wrong.

It is the lack of regulation and oversight that has caused this mess.

I say we get congress to create the 2008 Bicycle Uniformly Levied Cost Reduction Plan. From this point forward we can use the 2008 BULCRP to help keep costs down so everybody can afford everything.

We don't want anybody to feel left out. We are all winners and there are no losers. BULCRP will help everybody.

RIP Friendgirl

Everybody is getting there cut

Tires.....$50 for one?please

Cassettes.....If your going to rape me, bring back a high end 8 speed please.

Shimano Mineral Oil......$15-20 for 50ml? Do the math for a gallon of the stuff.

ANY SINGLE CROWN FORK THAT APPROACHES $1000

Bling Bling wheelsets.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    some wheel sets are worth it, like the I-9 ones. If you think they're overpriced think how much it costs to pay a machinist to put 18hrs in making one. The biggest difference in cost I've noticed is the jump from x-9 to x-o, xt to xtr, etc. I those your only paying for the weight lose and if you look at the price per gram it seems rediculous but if you really race its worth it. It's all about recognizing what you really need and buying that because I'm pretty sure most people (myself included) only need lx level stuff and compare that to the cost of the xtr components everybody buys. I know, I want the xtr stuff too but is it really worth the coin... no.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Drunk Poster
    So to everyone that thinks that cycling products are over priced...

Want to start a new company then? If you think products can be cheaper cause they are just repacked then lets have a new line to exhibit at interbike next year at the first time area!
    =)

mtbr member
    Everything sold by Jeff Jones!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jawndoe
    So to everyone that thinks that cycling products are over priced...

Want to start a new company then? If you think products can be cheaper cause they are just repacked then lets have a new line to exhibit at interbike next year at the first time area!
    If you could front me a couple of mil, I'll guarantee you that I could do it cheaper. I have been machining metal for almost 20 years now, I KNOW all kinds of CAD/CAM programs and have several CNC machines at my disposal. We could start today.

I don't have the funds to start a shop. However, I have made many parts for my bikes, motorcycles and other vehicles, even guns. I think that with your money, we would do real good. I keep all of my Soildworks files so we have a big head start on the engineering side.

Scott.

Drunk Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottWatkins
    If you could front me a couple of mil, I'll guarantee you that I could do it cheaper. I have been machining metal for almost 20 years now, I KNOW all kinds of CAD/CAM programs and have several CNC machines at my disposal. We could start today.

I don't have the funds to start a shop. However, I have made many parts for my bikes, motorcycles and other vehicles, even guns. I think that with your money, we would do real good. I keep all of my Soildworks files so we have a big head start on the engineering side.

Scott.
    If I had a couple of mil... My neighbor is a materials scientist btw. So we could potentially make more advanced products too... Ok so we need tne BULCRP bill passed immediately!
    =)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked
    Lights are too expensive. I would love to ride at night but I would not like to pay 2-300 dollars just to do so safely.
    Sadly, that's cheap. $500 for Li-ion
    Idaho

Its got what plants crave
    I think those C02 cartriges they sell at the LBS are absurd. If people knew you could buy a box of 25 of them for an air gun at Walmart nobody in their right mind would pay 8 bucks for a 2 pack!

mtbr member

What's the quickest path to $1 million dollars?

Invest $2 million dollars into a bicycle-related business.

Walt

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    yes Yes YES. Exactly. When I ride which isnt more than once or twice a week, I want it to be the best experience possible. I don't mind spending a bit. For example I have an edge, ; I've used it maybe 80 times--bingo that's 3$ or more per ride for just ONE item.

But all very worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfoxy76

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This reminds me of a thread I started about a year ago.

a rant about the cost of mountain biking

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast