Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As someone who just purchased a decent used FS bike and looking at upgrades I am stunned at how pricey some of this stuff is. I can remember when $100 was a lot for a saddle and I recently visited a website (mtb and road) and they had 2 pages of saddles ranging from $150-$500. High end cranksets for $500? $200 shifters? I'm willing to go middle of the road for slightly heavier but just as reliable stuff. Ebay is looking pretty good at this point.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Fox forks -- ridiculous! $800? Are you guys on drugs, is that why they're so much?!?
    Rock Shox forks aren't too far behind, either!
    Cane Creek in general is about 50% overpriced....
    Ellsworth, Intense, Litespeed, Merlin, Scott -- Joe Six-Pack can only look at these!
    X.0, yeah...ouch. XTR isn't even worth my time....
    $80-$100 jersey, shorts,...please.

'Course, the online places love me anyway, cuz I help them get rid of their old stuff; I WILL NOT spend more than $300 for a fork, $50 for a jersey/shorts/helmet, and only because I demand 3-strap will I go over $50 for shoes. LOVE stuff like X.9, 90% of the perf for 45% of the price. Oh, and these $700+ wheelsets, yeah right. For $300, I can have all the strength I need.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Lights are too expensive. I would love to ride at night but I would not like to pay 2-300 dollars just to do so safely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked
    Lights are too expensive... but I would not like to pay 2-300 dollars just to do so safely.
    No, they're worth it. They open up a completely different part of riding. And yes, the price is worth (safety is being safelt lit) it also once you're stylin' w/ a sweet system @ night.

Over pridced? The amount of $ the average noob thinks they have to spend to get out and enjoy trails. What can't you put a price on? Fitness.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

I Like Bicycles
    Wipperman's $500 Ti chain.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ceramic bearings for $90/pair? Come on... they're little balls...
    2008 Stumpjumper FSR S-Works
    2005 Stumpjumper FSR Expert Disk

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    any glasses over $20
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    No, they're worth it. They open up a completely different part of riding. And yes, the price is worth (safety is being safelt lit) it also once you're stylin' w/ a sweet system @ night.

Over pridced? The amount of $ the average noob thinks they have to spend to get out and enjoy trails. What can't you put a price on? Fitness.
    LED lights are absolutely overpriced.
    $10 LED
    $10 electronics
    $10 wiring
    $40 battery
    $10 housing
    $100 profit

I built my own and have twice the performance at half the price of most commercial LED lighting systems.

I am planning on building another light that will be even 2/3rds brighter and a half the cost of my current lights.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great reply

Quote Originally Posted by tech_dog
    ceramic bearings for $90/pair? Come on... they're little balls...
    I love this thread its making me laugh.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlock
    How could I forget!? Cassettes!
    You're paying twice the price to shave a few grams when looking at XT and XTR. This happens with most shimano gear.

Also: Ceramic Rims
    almost 1K for a wheelset that you'll end up trashing like the last one
    I don't know. Ti on that XTR is pretty nice.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimk
    Wipperman's $500 Ti chain.
    But come on, you save 30 grams, and don't get any better shifting!
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked
    Lights are too expensive. I would love to ride at night but I would not like to pay 2-300 dollars just to do so safely.
    It absolutely is highway robbery. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...+light+project Some guys came up with his own design using a halogen flood lamp for landscaping and housed it in a PVC cap. The batteries can be readily purchased already in waterbottles for a reasonable price. I think for a light equivalent to the 2-300 jobs, these cost about $60-80 depending on the battery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumbee1
    LED lights are absolutely overpriced.
    $10 LED
    $10 electronics
    $10 wiring
    $40 battery
    $10 housing
    $100 profit
    You forgot costs to engineer, manufacture/assemble, ship, stock, sell, support, advertise, pay taxes, facilities, just to name a few. Unless a company publishes its gross and net margins on a product/product line, there is really no way estimate how much profit/loss they're making on something unless you know the company's operations OR have experience in the industry...you just can't add up what you think each component costs.

Interesting thread. Products that are "overpriced" are for one of two reasons: the cost to get those products on the shelf are high OR there are enough people out there who will pay those prices for the product. Though in some cases, costs are high and few will buy it, yet the product sticks around as a marketing tool to help with sales of lower-end products.

The great thing is that if you consider a product overpriced, you don't have to buy it. If you do anyway, you're doing your part to help make sure it stays overpriced.

I, personally, have a disease and will do silly things like pay four figures for a frame, or pay more for a set of brakes than my last mountain bike cost, or ... lust trumps value way to often in my biking world... which is okay 'cause there are plenty of reasonably priced products out there that will get the job done just fine for those w/o the disease or means.

pedal pusher
    CamelBak bladder: $30
    Crank Bros. headsets

Also, I don't understand how a carbon saddle with thin leather padding can cost $150, while the same model without any covering at all will cost nearly twice as much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    some tires...the ones I use cost more than my 70,000 mile car tires!

seatposts...a decent one is $50 on up for a relatively small tube with hardly any shaping until the clamp. c'mon.

saddles, as mentioned above

Roof racks (lookin at you Thule!)

mtbr member
    Thomson seatposts. ANY bike over $1000 or wheelset over $300.HID bike lights and a lot of the LED bike lights.

mtbr member
    Shimano master pins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The reason bike parts are so high is because of SPECULATORS!!!

325.00 for a front or rear brake is ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Anything thats has Cannondale on it

Tubeless tires

Rub it............
    I dunno. I guess I think that bike parts are cheap compared to what I used to do. Drag Racing. I had over $17,000 in parts for my race car, and it wasn't even running.

But I do agree that the $130 for headsets or $1000 for a wheel set is retarded.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher32x
    The reason bike parts are so high is because of SPECULATORS!!!

325.00 for a front or rear brake is ridiculous.
    No! The short sellers are to blame!

mtbr member
    But sheesh, those jersey's even make the manequin look HOT!
    “The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.”

--Steven Wright

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    well I didn't read all this BUT everything is over-priced -- really noticable in the bike and fast food arenas as late.i think gloves are terribly over priced--if I had to pick just one item, that would be the thing.

slow
    Disc brake pads. I can a get a set of 4 disc brake pads for my truck for about half of what pads cost for one wheel on one of my bikes.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    GREASE!!!!!! It's amazing the price of "water-proof" grease for bikes. I bought some grease for a boat trailer's wheel bearings instead and I got more grease for A LOT less. Everything in this sport seems to be expensive. Oil for bike chains. Pedros, Park, all of them. You can buy a gallon of chainsaw chain oil for 5 bucks anywhere. You get a few ounces for 5 dollars if it's bike specific. There's also special tools for everything. Speaking of special tools park tools are WAY too expensive. I can buy an entire set that has a life time warranty and have 2 bucks left over instead of buying 1 park allen wrench. There's so many things it's just obsurd.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast