Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    I'd have to say shoes are ridonkulously overpriced, especially Sidis. I can buy a set of four balanced tires for an econobox for the price of a pair of Sidis.

Bet the the Sidi's outlast the tires though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have to agree on the shoes and add stems. Just went looking for a shorter one than I currently have and...wow, think I'll get used to my stock one.

Oher than those two things, stuff for my MTB is way cheaper than basiclly the same thing on a roadie. Roadie gear is off the chart expensive!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Think about it for a moment... how much does shipping start at for a small item from one of the big online stores? It's more than $6.

And BBG shipping stays at $6 for multiple guards (I checked up to 4). So you are paying the one guy who makes it for his time to package, address and then make a trip down to the post office, as well as for the actual cost of shipping.

BBG is one of the best product makers out there- simple, cheap, and no BS.
    Glad I read this thread/post.
    I never used a bashguard or went with 2 chainrings before. Think I'll try one on my 29er build.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by husonfirst View Post
    I'd have to say shoes are ridonkulously overpriced, especially Sidis. I can buy a set of four balanced tires for an econobox for the price of a pair of Sidis.
    As mentioned earlier: $200+ for a pair of Italian handmade shoes? Not that I wear Sidis, but compare that to business/casual wear shoes and Sidis are an absolute bargain.

I think that a lot of peoples' perspectives have been badly warped by low-cost Asian manufacturing and Walmart.

banned
    Aug 2012
    It's a "If you build it, they will pay" market.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am gonna have to say the 1UP bike rack. Most bike racks are pretty ugly. This one takes the cake. Looks like something Homer Simpson designed in 2 minutes on a napkin. And the price? Outrageous. There are nice and cheaper options.

mtbr member
    The said issue with overpriced items is that the mountain bike industry is savvy to using analytics in checking what their major spending market is. That would be the spending demographic of society that has expendable income. Newbies will see the sticker shock, but I do vaguely recall in the nineties that prices were more reasonable to the times. Funny how business intelligence & analytics has pinpointed what people spend the most on and what the range they are willing to pay. I guess we as riders just have to grin and bear it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Bet the the Sidi's outlast the tires though.
    Maybe time-wise but not in terms of mileage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not sure if this was mentioned but I feel $400 - $500 for a China made carbon fork is insane.

mtbr member
    I think forks are grossly overpriced... A fork will sell for ~$800-$1000, then a new model comes out and all of a sudden these forks are going for $250-350 still brand new in the box. I really doubt anyone is taking that huge of a hit on them. The markup is just amazing. I like high end forks, but I like to pay about 200 bucks for them, ive bought a few for that price!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I think forks are grossly overpriced... A fork will sell for ~$800-$1000, then a new model comes out and all of a sudden these forks are going for $250-350 still brand new in the box. I really doubt anyone is taking that huge of a hit on them. The markup is just amazing. I like high end forks, but I like to pay about 200 bucks for them, ive bought a few for that price!
    Controlled obsolescence. A company needs (wants) to make obscene margins on the latest/ greatest _____ in order to make up for all the overstock they will be "dumping" on closeout while their next big deal is being hyped.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The sad part is that the vast majority of our dollars end up overseas. You'd expect to pay higher dollar for homegrown stuff and I would feel a little better or justified in spending $90 or so on a cassette if the money stayed here. In the end, I guess I'm part of the problem since I keep forking it over - gotta keep riding ya know.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by erudition12000 View Post
    Clothes
    I used to think cycling clothes were too expensive, but then I noticed the other day that quite a bit of my cycling clothing is older than my teenagers. My cost per ride or per year is pretty minimal.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10