mtbr member

Most overpriced MTB item you've ever happily bought.

We've all done it. We've all bought something bike related that we knew was completely overpriced for what it was or did but paid for it anyway. I've had a couple over the years but have two THIS week that may be breaking the record.

My first one was a dress-up kit for my Thomson stem years ago. This kit is simply a colored face plate and steerer tube cap to replace the identical black pieces that it comes with. Meh...it's only about 30 dollars but it felt pretty stupid to toss a brand new face plate into my parts bin and bolt on the $30 one I bought.

Next was a Chris King headset. The engineer in me hates headsets. They have the easiest job any bearing could be asked to do yet we pay ridiculous sums of money for them. There are bearings that can handle 10,000 rpm at temperatures over 1200 degF that are cheaper than the headset that never makes even a single rotation. But...but...CK's are awesome looking and...wait for it...it matches my Thomson dress-up kit.

But this week I think I broke the record. I paid $43 for four M6 bolts. You read that right. Now, in my defense, these bolts are beautifully machined, oversized bolts that keep the sliders on my Vassago SS from moving but still...they are bolts. And I bought them to replace the steel bolts that have been doing just fine.

I think I may have that one beat. I'm about to click BUY NOW for $41.70 for...wait for it...wheel stickers. UGH. Am I really this stupid? My Nox wheels with gorgeous blue i9 hubs and blue nipples came with black stickers. My goodness wouldn't blue stickers look awesome?

$41.70 for stickers that I won't even be able to see while I'm riding?

Can anyone beat that?

mtbr member
    Overpriced in the bike world usually has great functionality. You might say a 9k bike is silly but you can feel the difference!

Iíve had lots of over priced crap. Wilson combat 1911, Randall made knives, Plenty of custom Strider knives etc. donít get me started on cars. Snap on tools, Mystery Ranch packs, custom made boots, the list could go on for days. I never used that stuff like I do bikes. If you use something all the time and love it then itís not a waste and in most of the above items you cannot feel the price difference.

Light weight wheelsets and carbon parts enhance the ride, your connected to the bike and you are the engine so I feel bike parts arenít a waste.

I do own a S-WORKS Epic HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Cushcore. $150 for a cut pool noodle.

Contains no juice.
    Specialized carbon rims.

$1,500? There's not THAT much of a difference between them and the Niner alloy rims.

Glad I didn't pay for them. They were a trade of sorts.
    Is my paycheck just a bribe to forget my dreams?

mtbr member
    Cane Creek Slamset. Turns out I didn't even need it.

mtbr member
    I have an ENVE carbon stem on my bike... had an old man lecture me trail side at DuPont that my stem was a massive waste of money and I should basically be ashamed for buying it. Didn't care. It's sexy and his tone made him sound like a condescending douche.

Oh, and the irony wasn't lost in the fact that he was riding a top of the line Pivot Firebird, and he could barely get out of his own way.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    1] Chris King hubs.
    2] Dropper post.

Hell, itís been 10 years since I paid $325 for a dropper and they havenít gone down in price.

Hubs: Pretty consistent in price as well. If I remember right I paid $150 front CK hub and $450 for the back CK hub.. Add in $100 for each rim plus spokes and build price. I canít wait to join the pre-build bike force and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Buying a new Rudy Project Protera helmet (MSRP $249.99) just because my existing helmet (MET Veleno) is nowhere near my current bike on the colour palette.
    Although I did get a $50 discount from the agent~...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Some will say my 1up rack.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    1] Chris King hubs.
    2] Dropper post.

Hell, itís been 10 years since I paid $325 for a dropper and they havenít gone down in price.

Hubs: Pretty consistent in price as well. If I remember right I paid $150 front CK hub and $450 for the back CK hub.. Add in $100 for each rim plus spokes and build price. I canít wait to join the pre-build bike force and be done with it.
    Mine was $135.00. I don't feel too bad about it, not sure how it will go yet.

mtbr member
    Girvin Cross Link Elite Carbon Smert fork 98' when i worked at Pro Flex dealer. Worked great fora 2" travel fork but damn did it eat bushings and batteries like they were PEZ. Sold it for what I payed shortly after the brain died to someone who didn't care about the electronics (without the electronics, it acted like a regular coil over shock). Wound up on a cannondale moto fr, the worlds beefiest 4" travel fork.

Close 2nd was a 2009 Marz. Roco Air rear shock. Damn thing exploded in less than a month of use because who would've ever thought that grease was required to O-rings intact. Came factory dry, just like my cousins did (his died in under 2 months) with no way to lubricate the air canister at home. Replaced it with a Cane Creek Cloud 9 that's been rebuilt countless times, even with parts from a hardware store.
    Alea Jacta Est

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    We've all done it. We've all bought something bike related that we knew was completely overpriced for what it was or did but paid for it anyway. I've had a couple over the years but have two THIS week that may be breaking the record.

My first one was a dress-up kit for my Thomson stem years ago. This kit is simply a colored face plate and steerer tube cap to replace the identical black pieces that it comes with. Meh...it's only about 30 dollars but it felt pretty stupid to toss a brand new face plate into my parts bin and bolt on the $30 one I bought.

But this week I think I broke the record. I paid $43 for four M6 bolts. You read that right. Now, in my defense, these bolts are beautifully machined, oversized bolts that keep the sliders on my Vassago SS from moving but still...they are bolts. And I bought them to replace the steel bolts that have been doing just fine.

I have a blue Thomson dress up kit. I too felt a little bad about buying it, but I bought a Thomson stem without a faceplate on eBay, so I could have spent $10 on a black one, or more for a pretty one. I had to have one either way.

I happily paid for the Paragon Slider bolts for my Vassago. Those bolts get moved frequently on my bike. Iím very much a fan of being able to use a 10mm 12-point socket instead of a janky hex-key. I also didnít think Iíd appreciate the little brass knurled things for the stop screws, but Iím diggin em. I change cogs probably 5-6 times a month between 18,19 and 20.

My stupidest purchase was an ENVE post... that I replaced with a PNW Pine dropper after like 10 rides. I got the post from a friend when they built a new bike and chose a dropper mid-build, so I agreed to a Ďpass it alongí deal. Then his build gave me dropper envy (pun intended) and since he Ďbroke the stigmaí of droppers on Singlespeeds, I had to have one too.

I swore Iíd keep the carbon post for Ďweight-weenieí race days but letís be real... Iím too lazy and too far from the podium to care about losing grams on a seatpost. Iím not sure what to do with it. Gonna sting when I eBay it for half-price.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

Thread already spun
    1] Chris King hubs.
    2] Dropper post.

You're looking forward to the whole bike being overpriced?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I run eTap and DI2 XT. Both overpriced but I paid the freight and I would do it again. After over one half century of riding, I have tired of derailuer adjustments and cable and housing replacement. In addition, I need to keep it fresh so I try and use some of the latest technology that helps keep me riding almost everyday. It works. First year of eTap, I rode an additional 1,000 miles. Mountain bike has 26/36-11/40 using syncro shift. One shifter with DI2 driving the front derailuer, blowing down the trail at 20 mph on smooth titanium Hardtail, Air Pods with great music, cell watch, Garmin 1030 and now warm temps. It just does not get any better for me on a bike. Dam the money, it is only numbers on paper till the balance hits zero.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I paid $400 for one of those new-fangled 9point8 dropper posts. And I'd happily do it all over again if I had to.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    You're looking forward to the whole bike being overpriced?
    Hmmm. . . just ruined that future purchase for me.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    I run eTap and DI2 XT. Both overpriced but I paid the freight and I would do it again. After over one half century of riding, I have tired of derailuer adjustments and cable and housing replacement. In addition, I need to keep it fresh so I try and use some of the latest technology that helps keep me riding almost everyday. It works. First year of eTap, I rode an additional 1,000 miles. Mountain bike has 26/36-11/40 using syncro shift. One shifter with DI2 driving the front derailuer, blowing down the trail at 20 mph on smooth titanium Hardtail, Air Pods with great music, cell watch, Garmin 1030 and now warm temps. It just does not get any better for me on a bike. Dam the money, it is only numbers on paper till the balance hits zero.
    Pedalon - I like your style...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Wider carbon bar for my rigid fatbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes bike stuff is crazy expensive and some of that stuff is worth it.

I have zero regrets about paying for:

fancy carbon full suspensions Hightower
    Race Face Next carbon cranks
    Fox Transfer dropper
    any Thomson parts
    Maxxis 2.8 Highrollers IIs
    Rock Shox Pike

I usually hunt for the best deals but there are some parts that are easier to justify.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Well...huh. I've paid more than I wanted to for a lot of things, but I've felt they were good investments, you get what you pay for, etc. I don't recall that I've ever willingly overpaid for something that I didn't consider worth the cost. Even when I've paid bike shop mark up on something I knew I could get cheaper online, I considered it an investment in a shop I'd like to see succeed. That's about the closest I think I've come to paying more than what I considered something to be worth. Well, strike that. I did buy a set of handbuilt wheels from a shop that I took a chance on and I thought upon delivery that they could've turned out better. But again, it was an investment in a business as much as a part/service. It didn't go as well as I'd hoped, so I just chalked it up and didn't go back there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are lots of things you can pay a bunch of money for, some that I have paid a bunch of money for, that do not function any better than parts costing a fraction of the price, stuff like Next SL cranks, CK headsets, $200 saddles, and so on.

On the other hand, the $500 I spent for my Dillinger 5 studded tires was worth every penny. In the winter, they have allowed me to ride for 3 seasons with barely any wear through all kinds of winter conditions. The studded aspect makes them safe in hardpack/glaze ice (while not as good as skinny studded tires, infinitely better than having no studs) and the width is significantly better than the D4 tires, which are a bit cheaper. Studded winter fat tires made out of the right compound with good thread count are pricey, but I can honestly say this was worth every penny and the function was worth it, unlike $500 cranksets that work just as well as $80 cranksets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would have said the Hadley hubs I bought in 2005. With 2 rebuilds, ( one was free) and now the rear hub is on its 3rd rim, front on # 2. Seems money well spent.

Thread already spun
    Hmmm. . . just ruined that future purchase for me.
    You just got a new old frame like two years ago, didn't you?

They might be cheap again by the time you're buying...

Music & Bikes
    The first Rohloff hub I bought.
    1000$

But 15 years later , if I count all the money saved on derailleurs/cassette/chains etc... , it is been a very good investment.

(...And still running strong)
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

One ring to mash them all
    I guess it's relative. Pretty happy with the $85 Bontrager saddle I bought for my $250 rigid steel SS.
    Į\(į_o)/Į

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A new $4000 carbon full suspension Yeti for my 11 year old daughter.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    yes, I would have done that too. A tad off topic but I spent more money moding a new car than it cost. Hard to say if I would do it again cause the hp is so intoxicating.

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    You just got a new old frame like two years ago, didn't you?

They might be cheap again by the time you're buying...
    Yes, but that frame didnít work out for me. It ended up being a medium instead of a large. My fault though, the ad stated it as a medium but I was so excited about finding such a rare gem I overlooked it and bought it. A case where skimming can really effect you. Didnít notice my mistake for a year as it sat in a box waiting for the parts swap build up. Oh well, when I eventually get a new bike Iíll probably just sell my built bike and the NOS frame as a package deal.

Cycologist
    Will you adopt me?
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Will you adopt me?
    I have two more after her that need bikes you'll have to wait in line. The best part of giving her the bike are the times I ask her to go riding and she tells me she's too busy or tired.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Thread already spun
    Yes, but that frame didnít work out for me. It ended up being a medium instead of a large. My fault though, the ad stated it as a medium but I was so excited about finding such a rare gem I overlooked it and bought it. A case where skimming can really effect you. Didnít notice my mistake for a year as it sat in a box waiting for the parts swap build up. Oh well, when I eventually get a new bike Iíll probably just sell my built bike and the NOS frame as a package deal.
    That's too bad.

As Gandhi said, be the skimming you want to see in the world. Or something.

mtbr member
    I guess my Chris King hubs. Although, as pricey as they are, they'll never need to be replaced.

I guess I go back to this saying: "I'm too poor to be cheap."
    One gear is all you need.

Cycologist
    I have two more after her that need bikes you'll have to wait in line. The best part of giving her the bike are the times I ask her to go riding and she tells me she's too busy or tired.
    Ok, I ride a medium btw. Should I call you "dad"?
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    $45 park cassette tool. But it sure is nice....

...and the $1200 I just spent upgrading my 13 year old heckler... Cheaper than a Carbon Pivot Mach 6 though, so I guess I saved $4500. Not that bad a purchase after all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That's a cool parent right there.

No known cure
    $2400 for a custom front triangle before long, low and slack geo was a thing. $250 of that was was custom paint.

Ti spokes.

Hundreds and hundreds on Ti bolts and a Tiodizer to custom color them.

$120 for a Ti single speed cog.

Ti King crown race.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Syntace mega force stems aluminum. expensive relative to aluminum stems but I love them.

king hubs totally worth it for quality and customer service. But no longer a king headset owner. BTW King customer service has sent me bearing sets for free in the past. But they told me had I damaged the race it would have cost me a lot of money.

carbon rimsóworth it!
    1upóworth it!

but i prefer $50 plastic pedals.

CEO Product Failure
    For me it was a Specialized Toupe saddle @$1xx.00. It lasted an entire week on my mtb and then a rail failed. The LBS who sold it to me said it was intended for road only even though they installed it on my mtb. Regardless, the LBS warrantied it and now its been living happily for the last 3+ years on my roadie.

Otherwise, my biggest vice is cycling jerseys. I tend to buy cool ones just for their design (TwinSix), then I'll buy one on an mtb trip as a momento, then I've got kits from the teams/clubs I ride with, then I've go some for work (I'm an indoor cycling instructor), then I also have jersey from my favorite craft breweries, and then I buy some from races I've attended (Triple ByPass, Iceman, Downieville, etc.)...yeah, I would not be surprised if I've got 100+ jerseys.

moar alike..
    170mm xo carpet fiber cranks & rf atlas flats<<such a ripoff
    All barks have been rendered into english...

slow
    I paid full retail in Moab for a new cassette two different times in 8 years because I broke a cog in the middle of the cassette and needed one to finish the weekend. Now I take an extra cassette with me every time I go to Moab.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    BikeYoke Revive. It still feels like new after almost a year of use and all I've done is wipe it down a few times. Only regret is that the 185mm version launched a few days after my 160mm post was delivered.

No known cure
    One time I paid full retail for a generic saddle and cheap no name post in Big Bear. I had left my saddle post assembly on the front railing of my house and there was no way I'd make the 40 mile round trip drive before my start time.

I left a thru axle on the same railing but the GF was able to drive it over before my start time.

Another time I was getting ready for my race start in the parking lot of Mt Ashland and realized my clipless shoes were back in town. I was lucky enough that they allowed me to race the sport class the following day, but Sue announced over the PA that I missed my start and I'd be sandbagging the next day. I rolled that race.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    The ex took my gloves and pump out of my bag without telling me to loan to her friend. I drove 6 hours to a tiny MTB mecca town that only had one shop for a weekend of riding before realizing it. Had to pay $50 for a Lezyne pump because that's all they sold! And $35 for some gloves or go to Walmart. I figured it was a donation to the local bike scene to pony up the $85 bucks instead of going to Walmart for some cheap stuff. But please LBSs- sell entry level stuff or you are losing business to Walmart!

Quote Originally Posted by jmmUT View Post
    The ex took my gloves and pump out of my bag without telling me to loan to her friend. I drove 6 hours to a tiny MTB mecca town that only had one shop for a weekend of riding before realizing it. Had to pay $50 for a Lezyne pump because that's all they sold! And $35 for some gloves or go to Walmart. I figured it was a donation to the local bike scene to pony up the $85 bucks instead of going to Walmart for some cheap stuff. But please LBSs- sell entry level stuff or you are losing business to Walmart!
    I can see why sheís your ex.

moar alike..
    Whodafuh would wear anothers gloves..challenged em to a duel right??
    All barks have been rendered into english...

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by teej83 View Post
    Yes, but I love mine!

mtbr member
    I have a 26 year old Chris King front hub, blue anodized. Serial # 1 blue, but being the first run, the logo is different. Paid $120 cash.
    It has been built into 2 mtn. wheels, 1 CX wheel, and for the last 12 years now is in my winter road bike wheel. I'm guessing it has over 100,000 combined miles on it. I've never put a wrench to it. Still spins smooth as glass.
    I thought it was expensive at the time, but in retrospect, it has been the best cycling investment I've ever made. I wish it was purple, though, but he had already sold that one.
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Boone Ti Single Speed Cog $100 it's like jewelry for my bike.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Gripstuds for our fatbike tires - $1/stud, x100+ per tire x 3 fatbikes = $$$$, but way cheaper than a visit to the ER, and usually more fun.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Some will say my 1up rack.

I get that a lot when I tell people that my single 1up cost $300.

I justify it by saying there are no other single bike racks on the market. Any high end 2 bike racks costs more than $300 so really, it's cheaper!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    BikeYoke Revive. It still feels like new after almost a year of use and all I've done is wipe it down a few times. Only regret is that the 185mm version launched a few days after my 160mm post was delivered.
    Ditto

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    I get that a lot when I tell people that my single 1up cost $300.

I justify it by saying there are no other single bike racks on the market. Any high end 2 bike racks costs more than $300 so really, it's cheaper!
    I see it as a one time investment, provided no accidents happen.

It sits on my car 90% of the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I spent a fortune trying different grips and saddles. For a single purchase, bought a Syntace P6 carbon post before I discovered dropper posts. Made up for it with a brand X dropper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just ordered a Garmin Edge 820. I don't race or ride seriously, and hell I even don't ride that much anymore and I already have a Garmin gps watch that use to track my rides.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Stans and other sealants. I hate flats and they've been eliminated while adding traction and a more compliant ride.
    Last edited by Rod; 1 Week Ago at 10:15 AM.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post
    I have a 26 year old Chris King front hub, blue anodized. Serial # 1 blue, but being the first run, the logo is different. Paid $120 cash.
    It has been built into 2 mtn. wheels, 1 CX wheel, and for the last 12 years now is in my winter road bike wheel. I'm guessing it has over 100,000 combined miles on it. I've never put a wrench to it. Still spins smooth as glass.
    I thought it was expensive at the time, but in retrospect, it has been the best cycling investment I've ever made. I wish it was purple, though, but he had already sold that one.
    I have a set of red Chris King hubs that are 10 years old. Serviced once just last year only for maintenance and peace of mind reasons. Bombproof high quality jewelry in my opinion. Paid $150 front and $450 back, I think Iíve got my moneyís worth at 10 years so far.

because GIANT
    pair of i9 Pillar Carbon wheels.

way costly but they actually perform, so... worth it for the feels on trail

[got a deal on these but still 'spensive]

---
    DVO Diamond 110 BOOST 170mm...

[got a deal on this as well, but...most I ever paid for a front end. 'tis sweetness]
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by teej83 View Post
    How is that $150 Water Wiggle working out for you? I've shattered a few carbon rims running traction psi on rocky trails and think it looks like a great idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    45 North Dillinger 5's. More expensive than truck tires! Here I am 3 seasons of fat biking later and they still look new. Not the best snow tire...not the best ice tire...but the best all around tire. Worth all $700 Canadian dollars by far.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    45 North Dillinger 5's. More expensive than truck tires! Here I am 3 seasons of fat biking later and they still look new. Not the best snow tire...not the best ice tire...but the best all around tire. Worth all $700 Canadian dollars by far.
    Ditto, I totally get how a $70 crankset works just as well as a $500 one, but those tires in winter are worth every penny
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Don't Tread on Me
    I paid $34 for a small Specialized saddle bag a few years ago. That thing was a genuine pos; impossible zipper, and the stitching came apart after a few months.

I paid over $10 for a light duty tube in Downieville once. But I didn't hesitate....needed one more run.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    $50 Spurcycle bell 🙄

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have been reading this and omg, 700 hundred Can? You sir are the winner so far. Now when I bought my Farley, I got a set of used studded tires with it and was 500 USD new included but I really got em free. But 700 is the most outrageous so far and you are still happy. Amazing!

mtbr member
    I put a $150 Paul Components brake on a $200 bike. S M R T

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Axxios!

We should try Axxios Technology. Nice little stickers: $1200 (at current exchange rates) Bike | Axxios Technology and most likely serving no function: https://singletrackworld.com/2017/08...ions-on-bikes/

Most overpriced MTB item you've ever happily bought.-s1600_tr_2163.jpg

mtbr member
    I have two, the first one is when I bought a set of Ibis 941 carbon rims, paid 1500 for them, but unfortunately 6 months later bikes with boost spacing came out and I wanted a new bike with boost so I lost big time on the wheels when I sold them for 500 bucks

My second story is when I finally got the nerve and bought Raceface Next sl carbon cranks, I believe they cost around 480 and thats after I bought a chainring and a special tool to put chainring on (damn you raceface) But only to 1 year later snap the cranks like a twig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most overpriced MTB item you've ever happily bought.-20180502_200046.jpg  

2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Iíve been wanting to buy a set, but canít bring myself to spend that much.

mtbr member
    XTR drivetrain for my old 93 Hardrock. I didnt pay full price for it. a LBS was going out of business sadly and was selling stuff off. but still way overkill for that bike. I have probably spent over $400 on that old POS. but its not about the money but the fun of building it. If I can get my hands on some inexpensive disc wheels I might throw my MT8's on there.
    A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Things That Were Ridiculously Expensive But I Really Like:

Rohloff Speedhub...$1300. With the rim and custom wheel build I have about $2000 in the rear wheel of my bikepacking rig (Salsa El Marichi TI).

Lauf leaf spring fork...$900

Full SRAM XX1 Drivetrain...$1300 four years ago.

Expensive Things That Were Not Worth the Money:

SRAM Hammerschmidt...$700 (I think). The high gear had molasses-like drag.

Super Clyde
    I just picked up a set of We Are One carbon wheels to the tune of $1300. I don't know if they are worth it yet, they are still sitting in their box in the garage.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    Overpriced in the bike world usually has great functionality. You might say a 9k bike is silly but you can feel the difference!

Iíve had lots of over priced crap. Wilson combat 1911, Randall made knives, Plenty of custom Strider knives etc. donít get me started on cars. Snap on tools, Mystery Ranch packs, custom made boots, the list could go on for days. I never used that stuff like I do bikes. If you use something all the time and love it then itís not a waste and in most of the above items you cannot feel the price difference.

Light weight wheelsets and carbon parts enhance the ride, your connected to the bike and you are the engine so I feel bike parts arenít a waste.

I do own a S-WORKS Epic HT
    Not bike related but mystery ranch packs are worth every penny.

To the OP. I bought some Alum m6 bolts from probolt to install in the chainguide (dont run one) bolt holes cuz i hated how it looked. Spent 10 bucks on 6 or whatever. I feel your pain....