mtbr member

Most INSANELY GOOD deals you've ever gotten on MTB stuff

I really enjoyed reading KevinGT's thread about overpriced part indulgences. It got me wondering about about an idea on the other end of the spectrum.

What have deals have you gotten that were to good to pass up?

My top so far is a 2014 Specialized camber carbon Expert frame, new, old stock for $250, shipped to my door. The poor seller paid over $70 to ship it but the deal was sealed.

The second deal was $50 for a used Fox Float CTD shock for the above frame. Now, I had to send it to Fox for a $125 service so it kind of negates the initial deal but it came back working like new and I was really pleased with the Fox service and communication.

3rd. A few buddies of mine were out doing our normal Santos(FL) ride and stumbled on an MTB swampmeet going on at a trailhead. Saw a NEW Specialized Phenom saddle at a guys booth, he wanted $10. I had no cash so he saved it for me and I mailed him the money and a prepaid envelope to send it back to me. Should be here in a few days. Sweet deal.

So, what have you guys been able to get for an incredible deal?
    My bikes are faster than me.

mtbr member
    Maybe not 'insanely good' but I gotta say getting this bike shipped to my door in December for $2270 was a pretty sweet deal...

KONA BIKES | MTB | PROCESS | Process 153 AL/DL 27.5
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Got a Bontrager Racelite frame for $30 about 6 months ago.

Got a brand new XS BMC Trailfox for a kids FS build. The retail on the frame was like $3500, they were cleaning out a previous year's supply. $125 for the frame.

Picture during our build. Came out to about 23 lbs FS.
    Most INSANELY GOOD deals you've ever gotten on MTB stuff-20160820_150034-medium-.jpg

Just watching ebay for builds, I have too many to count that were 50% or more under what I could have turned around and flipped them for.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Nothing seems to kill me
    I once bought a hooker in Vegas for... oh wait, MTB stuff, never mind.

Bought some Answer Pro SL Carbon bars 780mm from Bike Wagon for $63 recently. MRP $195. That was pretty sweet. Didn't really need but them, you know. I am a gear and parts whore.
    Got my 2016 Mach 6 carbon frame and Fox 36 fork brand new for $2300 in 2016. Retail $4000. I was pretty happy with that deal.
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

EAT MORE GRIME
    when PricePoint was closing, they firesaled a PAIR Of Easton Haven Carbons 27.5
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    Damn!! I did get a few $60-$70 tires from them for $12 each when that was going on.
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    Thread winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    One finds the best deals when one looks every day. I've had a few things over the years from saddles to cranks via ebay, craigslist, CRC or Pricepoint. Best deals that come to mind: WI ENO freewheel mounted on a wheel with a chain but not ridden for $20, RF Deus cranks NOS 100, Pacenti Quasi-moto tires (3 brand new) for 40ish, unlaced threaded axle Surly New Hubs for 50, RF Turbine bar 35, RF Deus Vanna white stem for 20, '07 RMB Blizzard frame NOS for 280, Paul Melvin for 40, Brooks Pro saddle 40, etc. I'm not a big spender nor do I purchase "expensive" bikes or parts per se, but I'm always on the lookout for the stuff I want.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thread winner.
    No doubt whatsoever.

Sorry jestep, but the BMC is too small for me!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The bike that really got me on the MTB train my buddy sold the rolling chassis for $350.

Ibis tranny 26 with a Sid fork and Stan's wheels and the ibis seatpost.

6-7 years ago it was a sweet deal!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rod
    mtbr member
    Racing Ralph Snakeskin tire like new 2 bucks
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Professional Crastinator
    I broke a frame once - which will remain un-named.

They were really dragging their feet on what was a verifiable warranty issue and I was without a bike for weeks. I called to see if there was any way to expedite the process, and by the time I got off the phone, the person on the other end promised a check, rather than a new frame. To my surprise, the check showed up a few days later. Two days after that, a new frame showed up. It was a different model - wrong size - and different material, but it was a new frame! I sold it to a buddy for his GF.

I almost got this deal (5 x Snowshoe XL 4.8 for $34), but they caught their mistake before it shipped:
    Most INSANELY GOOD deals you've ever gotten on MTB stuff-snowshoepagex.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Found a $20 on a ride.

Land of the 230+
    Those Fox Rhythm 34's for $220 were a pretty good deal. But better still was buying two of them and selling one. Paid a net total of $50 for the fork and a 27.5x3.0 nobby nic.

mtbr member
    Hard to say because I work at a shop and get all kinds of stupid deals... one thing I will say, is that while a lot of the mtb community hates Specialized, they keep up shop fellas on some really nice bikes. They take care of industry people.

tire to rim ratio tester
    I probably should not even mention this but...

Ordered a wheelset for $155. Received ONE wheel. Returned it. Told them send me both wheels or refund my money. They sent me both wheels AND refunded my money lol. So two brand-new wheels for $0. I don't think anyone can beat that one.
    Pierced from below, souls of my treacherous past

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I broke a frame once - which will remain un-named.

They were really dragging their feet on what was a verifiable warranty issue and I was without a bike for weeks. I called to see if there was any way to expedite the process, and by the time I got off the phone, the person on the other end promised a check, rather than a new frame. To my surprise, the check showed up a few days later. Two days after that, a new frame showed up. It was a different model - wrong size - and different material, but it was a new frame! I sold it to a buddy for his GF.

I almost got this deal (5 x Snowshoe XL 4.8 for $34), but they caught their mistake before it shipped:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnowshoePageX.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1198718

-F
    The rest of this post is blah, blah, blah after the first sentence. Frame company name disclosure is the first rule of fight club.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Park TS-2, bought for $50 in excellent condition from a previous shop mechanic.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Bought a 2013 Scott Genius (XT spec) demo off the Scott rep for $3500. Rode it HARD for over 150 days. Sold it for $3500.

That probably doesn't really count - likely not "an insanely good deal". Probably more like a reasonably good deal and some good luck on resale.

The only other thing that comes to mind is my non-boost 24 mm id Enve AM wheel set I got (I think) for $1k in 2015. Of course the deal was there because Boost and wide id rims came on the scene immediately after that. In Canada the wheel set sold for $3500 at the time. So again, good, but not insanely good.

Thinking about it, I guess I kinda suck at getting insanely good deals. Then again, I get a minimum of 25% off everything I buy so in the end, I am doing ok overall.

mtbr member
    Last year, I narrowed my search for a FS frame to 3 different bikes, any of which was going to use a 130-140mm fork.
    Caught a dealer closing out their 2 remaining 2015 Pike RCT3s in 140mm at $549, and snagged one.
    Fast forward a few weeks, and I'd decided on a Canfield Riot frame that was on sale for $1499 instead of $2099. Had one in my cart, but went outside to do some yard work.
    When I came back inside later, and went to place my order, the contents of my cart had been deleted. It was the day they put Riot frames on closeout, and when I loaded my cart back up, the frame was $999.
    So I saved $500 by cutting my grass before ordering, and ended up with a Riot frame w/DVO Topaz shock plus a NIB Pike RCT3 for $1548 total

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Last year, I narrowed my search for a FS frame to 3 different bikes, any of which was going to use a 130-140mm fork.
    Caught a dealer closing out their 2 remaining 2015 Pike RCT3s in 140mm at $549, and snagged one.
    Fast forward a few weeks, and I'd decided on a Canfield Riot frame that was on sale for $1499 instead of $2099. Had one in my cart, but went outside to do some yard work.
    When I came back inside later, and went to place my order, the contents of my cart had been deleted. It was the day they put Riot frames on closeout, and when I loaded my cart back up, the frame was $999.
    So I saved $500 by cutting my grass before ordering, and ended up with a Riot frame w/DVO Topaz shock plus a NIB Pike RCT3 for $1548 total
    Plus you ended up with a nice looking lawn, score!

Sneaker man
    I don't know about insanely good, but when I got my GT Zaskar re-issue, they were supposedly going to be around $AU1800 here in OZ, but then we never got any so couldn't buy them...then a bunch ended up on Wiggle for $1300, but they did post frames internationally...then they were on sale...then they were on super sale AND they would post, so ended up getting one for $800 something shipped.

Or when I first found wiggle and got soem sidi eagle 6's, they retailed here for $550, pair $260.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Brand new Reverb 1x lever for $40 shipped.

mtbr member
    2017 Intense Recluse frame for 1000.00 Best deal I have gotten yet as far as bikes/componenets go. I guess I did score my new take off 140mm 27.5 Manitou Magnum Pro for 250.00 shipped to my door. So thats a pretty solid deal as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A couple years ago my old-school GT got stolen and I badly needed something to ride in the woods. Could really only afford about $500. Craigs and local buys were thin to none. Nothing appealing locally
    PricePoint.com was selling the Schwinn Rocket 2 for $330, list was 950 and street was 750. Scored. That and a serious fork upgrade from Chain Reaction and I was rolling at budget. After that just upgraded as things broke or annoyed me.

Last year I picked up a NOS orphan Morewood Zula frame for $350. Now I'm rolling in style.

Snow Dog
    got my 2015 Krampus new from the shop back then for $1200 because they were telling dealers to move the old versions in prep for the new version coming out
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    I bought a left over fox factory 34 for 600 bucks but the shop sent me a brand new one by accident which cost closer to 950.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    " I sold it to a buddy for his GF.'

Dude, you know how to negotiate!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    I once bought a hooker in Vegas for... oh wait, MTB stuff, never mind.
    That's just a rental....not sure it counts.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I scored some 510 Impacts Pros for $60, shipped.
    Got 'em factory direct before Adidas got their grubby paws all over them.
    "I may not be fast descending, but I'm pretty slow climbing."

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by CyNil_Rider View Post
    I scored some 510 Impacts Pros for $60, shipped.
    Got 'em factory direct before Adidas got their grubby paws all over them.
    Ditto! Miss that outlet option.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice..

Land of the 230+
    I miss the 5.10 outlet as well, but luckily I cleaned them out pretty good on their last black friday sale. Got a bunch of those UGLY danny macaskill shoes for under 50 bucks each, plus a couple more pair of freeriders. I usually get a full year out of each pair, so that should hold me over for a while, even if I do look like a chode.

Bikesexual
    Lol yeah, the options were funky..

Smart move though!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    I miss the 5.10 outlet as well, but luckily I cleaned them out pretty good on their last black friday sale. Got a bunch of those UGLY danny macaskill shoes for under 50 bucks each, plus a couple more pair of freeriders. I usually get a full year out of each pair, so that should hold me over for a while, even if I do look like a chode.
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    We don't know how strong we are, until being strong is the only choice..

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    I wish I had been in the market for those when Price Point closed their doors.

As it is, I felt pretty good about the RaceFace Aeffect 27.5 wheels that I got from Jenson in February. They were $220 and so far have been a very nice wheelset for my converted 26er.
    "The maturity of an 8 year-old boy coupled with the insecurity of a teen aged girl."

mtbr member
    I stop by the Pearl Izumi outlet on my way home from work about once a week. I have found random clothes items for under $5 each, including a pair of shoes for $20. hard to get bike shoes when you wear size 16-17 shoes.

great deal I got was at the tucson(GABA) bike swap. I got a complete set of Magura MT8 brakes used of course, but in working order for $15. I put them on my CX bike. I need a longer hose for the rear of my FS bike.
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Does a ďfreeĒ Tacoma count? As part of my role, I get a company vehicle and could pick it myself (within reason of course), so got a Taco.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkman999 View Post
    Does a ďfreeĒ Tacoma count? As part of my role, I get a company vehicle and could pick it myself (within reason of course), so got a Taco.
    It only counts if you take off 2 of the wheels and replace the engine with pedals.

Also, Tacocat spelled backwards is Tacocat.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    It only counts if you take off 2 of the wheels and replace the engine with pedals.

Also, Tacocat spelled backwards is Tacocat.

Snow Dog
    ...I want a Tacoma so bad...how did you do that? What is your "role"? My next vehicle will be a Tacoma for sure. I actually really like my current RAV4 (2010), so i can wait...but a free Tacoma would be SWEET!!!

my current "dream set up" for MTB getaways would be a Tacoma TRD Off Road, with a 1UP 4 bike hitch rack and a Tepui tent on the top...
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    ...I want a Tacoma so bad...how did you do that? What is your "role"? My next vehicle will be a Tacoma for sure. I actually really like my current RAV4 (2010), so i can wait...but a free Tacoma would be SWEET!!!

my current "dream set up" for MTB getaways would be a Tacoma TRD Off Road, with a 1UP 4 bike hitch rack and a Tepui tent on the top...
    Iím in a sr. management role for a 100+ person consulting/system integrator company so Iím required to drive to client meetings and between our office locations. I put free in quotations as I do need to pay taxes on any personal use of the vehicle. The taxation laws here consider personal use a taxable benefit so you get taxed on the perceived value of the benefit. That does beat having to pay maintenance, fuel, etc. myself .

My current one is a 2016 TRD Sport 4x4 Doublecab with a canopy. Iíve had it for about a year and a half and already have 45000km on it.

The only other drawback was that I had no choice on color. It has to be white.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I stop by the Pearl Izumi outlet on my way home from work about once a week. I have found random clothes items for under $5 each, including a pair of shoes for $20. hard to get bike shoes when you wear size 16-17 shoes.

great deal I got was at the tucson(GABA) bike swap. I got a complete set of Magura MT8 brakes used of course, but in working order for $15. I put them on my CX bike. I need a longer hose for the rear of my FS bike.
    I scored some great deals at one of those outlets several years ago. Nice to have one so close, the one I used to hit was in Del Mar, you?

Yep, itís what Iíve been driving forever. Love it, and it will eventually be replaced with another of identical heritage.

Snow Dog
    Iím in a sr. management role for a 100+ person consulting/system integrator company so Iím required to drive to client meetings and between our office locations. I put free in quotations as I do need to pay taxes on any personal use of the vehicle. The taxation laws here consider personal use a taxable benefit so you get taxed on the perceived value of the benefit. That does beat having to pay maintenance, fuel, etc. myself .

My current one is a 2016 TRD Sport 4x4 Doublecab with a canopy. Iíve had it for about a year and a half and already have 45000km on it.

ah ha...the drummer for one of my bands has the same kind of deal. He works for Pioneer Seed, and he gets to choose a company truck...but it has to be white....and it has to be a Dodge or Jeep. He currently has a pretty decked out Grand Cherokee...
    '15 Surly Krampus
    LET IT SNOW!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    ah ha...the drummer for one of my bands has the same kind of deal. He works for Pioneer Seed, and he gets to choose a company truck...but it has to be white....and it has to be a Dodge or Jeep. He currently has a pretty decked out Grand Cherokee...
    Most of our company is using Chevy. I have the only Toyota

Co Springs
    Most of my early career was some relationship to sales or marketing becoming a 20- year span. It was easy to find deals as a skeptic in a sales profession but there were times when the emotional endorphins over-ride logic and I'd find myself justifying my "good deals".

The best deal in recent memory is a Jenson purchase when I netted two Hans Damph (Schwalbe) tires at 9.99 ea.
    Probably not insane and certainly not a big ticket deal but in my book, tires listing at close to $80 ea got my vote quick like.

Too good; Years ago when the wireless bike computer was still sort of new and expensive, I talked myself into trying one but the catch was a too good to be true price. These things were in the $80 or $100 and up range for the cheapest of advertised brands one would know. Performance had their house brand name on one blowing out at $19.99.

I knew the trick of the loss leader sale or "the step -up" to get customers in the store from an ad on a great priced item and talk trash about the cheapie so as to get you into the better more pricy one. This truly was a POS but the more they tried to sway me and tell me of constant returns and complaints, the more I wanted it. It was touchy to set up and had a minimal 'range' for picking up the magnet sensor and such. I still have it around but was too embarrassed to try returning it. They should have made me sign a waiver though for all the warnings they gave me, never allowing me to take it back. I credit them for not going that route.

I was thrilled to get my first real 'career' type job in 1984. Good pay, bene's and company car. Not a lot of options or choice but some and for a few years, none of that tax on personal use B.S.
    When that changed, the technical part seemed to be miles to the office and back home or the bare min. Most of could jot down 4 to 10 miles a day or something.
    Soon after , we realized if we drove from the house to our client directly (or said that's what we did), it was work related mileage or zero personal use. I think we all claimed some just to keep from getting flagged for an audit.

I also used that Co. car almost exclusively for our weekend jaunts and towing the pop up camper. It had a hitch for occasional work related needs and I was 'on-call' so even on camping trips, it seemed well justified to have the car and my work related tools and parts with me. I had a big sales/service route covering much of the area or adjacent to areas we camped in mid Michigan.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

DFL
    About my best deal was my '17 Bronson CC XT Build. It was 30% off at the end of the year sale at Competitive Cyclist.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    The best deal in recent memory is a Jenson purchase when I netted two Hans Damph (Schwalbe) tires at 9.99 ea.
    Probably not insane and certainly not a big ticket deal but in my book, tires listing at close to $80 ea got my vote quick like.
    Schwalbe had to clear old stock before bringing out Addix, which is far far better.

Cycologist
    I got a free HDX (Home Depot) floor pump with gauge that had been sitting around our office after a photo or video shoot.

And a great deal on a pair of Happy Mediums for my CX when Price Point was closing up. Wish I'd snagged some of those other deals.

And I bought a 2005 James Dragon for $212 off of eBay, including shipping. I'd wanted one for years and I'd bid on several frames in the past but even frame-onlys went for well over $200. I came across this complete bike up for auction and hesitated to bid on it as I'd recently gotten a new 29er but decided to go ahead and bid. It was a bit of an oddball, apparently the current owner had used it as a commuter the last ten years. It only had a rear brake and most of the XTR components had been swapped for XT. Once I got it, I added a front brake (BB7 to match the existing rear), new brake levers, seatpost and saddle I had laying around, and new tires to replace the worn slicks it came with and spd pedals, since replaced with Chesters. Then on the first ride, I realized something I had somehow missed; the XTR rear derailleur was the original Rapid Rise, shifted backwards! I rode it that way for awhile and then replaced it with an XT, which I managed to trash on its maiden voyage as some of you may remember. I swapped a Surly Singulater and $20 for a used (regular) XTR with a guy on this site and also picked up a new old stock XTR front derailleur (which I'd also managed to trash) for really cheap. It was the correct diameter for a steel seat tube without needing a shim which I guess aren't in demand much anymore so they were being unloaded.

Here's a pic of the Dragon from my ride this past Saturday.

Most INSANELY GOOD deals you've ever gotten on MTB stuff-dragon_on_south_loop.jpg
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    I bought my 2017 GG Trail Pistola with a full XTR build, RC3 Debonair shock, MRP Ribbon, I9 Torch wheels and only 500 miles on it.......for 2500$ plus shipping. Felt like a ridiculouslet good deal to me. 😎
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

CEO Product Failure
    Best coup[le of deals recently (I've been riding since Reagan was in office so a comprehensive list is too much):

1. DT Fat Bike Hubs. Bought a Specialized Fatboy. It came with no-name hubs which failed within 90 days, the LBS and Specialized warrantied them with Hope's. The Hope rear hub failed twice, after the second time, the LBS and Specialized set me up with a DT rear hub. Never a charge for the hubs. I paid for spokes and labor (wheel build). Very generous on the part of both the LBS and Specialized.

2. Bought a new Kuat NV2.0. Sold my old Thule T2. After the sale of the T2, my total out-of-pocket for the Kuat was less than $250. Pretty good deal considering I got the NV2.0 plus the additional 2 bike extension. :-D

mtbr member
    Got some Deity Black Label bars brand new for $14 at a bike swap from a LBS that had a booth. They had a quarter inch thick stack of mark down stickers on them to get to that point. Why? They are bright pink anno.

SS Pusher Man
    Got a brand new never mounted set of King/517 SS wheels and 5-6 King cogs for free when my uncle decided the color combo didnít work for his build.

Also got a barely used 2 year old Litespeed Unicoi, full XTR for free when the owner decided to stop riding Mtn bikes.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat