mtbr member

Most INSANELY GOOD deals you've ever gotten on MTB stuff

I really enjoyed reading KevinGT's thread about overpriced part indulgences. It got me wondering about about an idea on the other end of the spectrum.

What have deals have you gotten that were to good to pass up?

My top so far is a 2014 Specialized camber carbon Expert frame, new, old stock for $250, shipped to my door. The poor seller paid over $70 to ship it but the deal was sealed.

The second deal was $50 for a used Fox Float CTD shock for the above frame. Now, I had to send it to Fox for a $125 service so it kind of negates the initial deal but it came back working like new and I was really pleased with the Fox service and communication.

3rd. A few buddies of mine were out doing our normal Santos(FL) ride and stumbled on an MTB swampmeet going on at a trailhead. Saw a NEW Specialized Phenom saddle at a guys booth, he wanted $10. I had no cash so he saved it for me and I mailed him the money and a prepaid envelope to send it back to me. Should be here in a few days. Sweet deal.

So, what have you guys been able to get for an incredible deal?
    My bikes are faster than me.

mtbr member
    Maybe not 'insanely good' but I gotta say getting this bike shipped to my door in December for $2270 was a pretty sweet deal...

KONA BIKES | MTB | PROCESS | Process 153 AL/DL 27.5
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Got a Bontrager Racelite frame for $30 about 6 months ago.

Got a brand new XS BMC Trailfox for a kids FS build. The retail on the frame was like $3500, they were cleaning out a previous year's supply. $125 for the frame.

Picture during our build. Came out to about 23 lbs FS.
    Most INSANELY GOOD deals you've ever gotten on MTB stuff-20160820_150034-medium-.jpg

Just watching ebay for builds, I have too many to count that were 50% or more under what I could have turned around and flipped them for.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Nothing seems to kill me
    I once bought a hooker in Vegas for... oh wait, MTB stuff, never mind.

Bought some Answer Pro SL Carbon bars 780mm from Bike Wagon for $63 recently. MRP $195. That was pretty sweet. Didn't really need but them, you know. I am a gear and parts whore.
    Got my 2016 Mach 6 carbon frame and Fox 36 fork brand new for $2300 in 2016. Retail $4000. I was pretty happy with that deal.
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

because GIANT
    when PricePoint was closing, they firesaled a PAIR Of Easton Haven Carbons 27.5
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    Damn!! I did get a few $60-$70 tires from them for $12 each when that was going on.
    Hello, my name is human and I came down from the stars.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    Thread winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    One finds the best deals when one looks every day. I've had a few things over the years from saddles to cranks via ebay, craigslist, CRC or Pricepoint. Best deals that come to mind: WI ENO freewheel mounted on a wheel with a chain but not ridden for $20, RF Deus cranks NOS 100, Pacenti Quasi-moto tires (3 brand new) for 40ish, unlaced threaded axle Surly New Hubs for 50, RF Turbine bar 35, RF Deus Vanna white stem for 20, '07 RMB Blizzard frame NOS for 280, Paul Melvin for 40, Brooks Pro saddle 40, etc. I'm not a big spender nor do I purchase "expensive" bikes or parts per se, but I'm always on the lookout for the stuff I want.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    (a $2200 dollar set)

for 250 bucks ! YOINK !
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thread winner.
    No doubt whatsoever.

Sorry jestep, but the BMC is too small for me!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The bike that really got me on the MTB train my buddy sold the rolling chassis for $350.

Ibis tranny 26 with a Sid fork and Stan's wheels and the ibis seatpost.

6-7 years ago it was a sweet deal!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Rod
    mtbr member
    Racing Ralph Snakeskin tire like new 2 bucks
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Professional Crastinator
    I broke a frame once - which will remain un-named.

They were really dragging their feet on what was a verifiable warranty issue and I was without a bike for weeks. I called to see if there was any way to expedite the process, and by the time I got off the phone, the person on the other end promised a check, rather than a new frame. To my surprise, the check showed up a few days later. Two days after that, a new frame showed up. It was a different model - wrong size - and different material, but it was a new frame! I sold it to a buddy for his GF.

I almost got this deal (5 x Snowshoe XL 4.8 for $34), but they caught their mistake before it shipped:
    Most INSANELY GOOD deals you've ever gotten on MTB stuff-snowshoepagex.jpg

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Found a $20 on a ride.

Land of the 230+
    Those Fox Rhythm 34's for $220 were a pretty good deal. But better still was buying two of them and selling one. Paid a net total of $50 for the fork and a 27.5x3.0 nobby nic.

mtbr member
    Hard to say because I work at a shop and get all kinds of stupid deals... one thing I will say, is that while a lot of the mtb community hates Specialized, they keep up shop fellas on some really nice bikes. They take care of industry people.

mtbr member
    I probably should not even mention this but...

Ordered a wheelset for $155. Received ONE wheel. Returned it. Told them send me both wheels or refund my money. They sent me both wheels AND refunded my money lol. So two brand-new wheels for $0. I don't think anyone can beat that one.
    ABSU: Arrogantly executing mythological occult metal since 1991.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I broke a frame once - which will remain un-named.

They were really dragging their feet on what was a verifiable warranty issue and I was without a bike for weeks. I called to see if there was any way to expedite the process, and by the time I got off the phone, the person on the other end promised a check, rather than a new frame. To my surprise, the check showed up a few days later. Two days after that, a new frame showed up. It was a different model - wrong size - and different material, but it was a new frame! I sold it to a buddy for his GF.

I almost got this deal (5 x Snowshoe XL 4.8 for $34), but they caught their mistake before it shipped:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnowshoePageX.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1198718

-F
    The rest of this post is blah, blah, blah after the first sentence. Frame company name disclosure is the first rule of fight club.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Park TS-2, bought for $50 in excellent condition from a previous shop mechanic.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Bought a 2013 Scott Genius (XT spec) demo off the Scott rep for $3500. Rode it HARD for over 150 days. Sold it for $3500.

That probably doesn't really count - likely not "an insanely good deal". Probably more like a reasonably good deal and some good luck on resale.

The only other thing that comes to mind is my non-boost 24 mm id Enve AM wheel set I got (I think) for $1k in 2015. Of course the deal was there because Boost and wide id rims came on the scene immediately after that. In Canada the wheel set sold for $3500 at the time. So again, good, but not insanely good.

Thinking about it, I guess I kinda suck at getting insanely good deals. Then again, I get a minimum of 25% off everything I buy so in the end, I am doing ok overall.

mtbr member
    Last year, I narrowed my search for a FS frame to 3 different bikes, any of which was going to use a 130-140mm fork.
    Caught a dealer closing out their 2 remaining 2015 Pike RCT3s in 140mm at $549, and snagged one.
    Fast forward a few weeks, and I'd decided on a Canfield Riot frame that was on sale for $1499 instead of $2099. Had one in my cart, but went outside to do some yard work.
    When I came back inside later, and went to place my order, the contents of my cart had been deleted. It was the day they put Riot frames on closeout, and when I loaded my cart back up, the frame was $999.
    So I saved $500 by cutting my grass before ordering, and ended up with a Riot frame w/DVO Topaz shock plus a NIB Pike RCT3 for $1548 total

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Last year, I narrowed my search for a FS frame to 3 different bikes, any of which was going to use a 130-140mm fork.
    Caught a dealer closing out their 2 remaining 2015 Pike RCT3s in 140mm at $549, and snagged one.
    Fast forward a few weeks, and I'd decided on a Canfield Riot frame that was on sale for $1499 instead of $2099. Had one in my cart, but went outside to do some yard work.
    When I came back inside later, and went to place my order, the contents of my cart had been deleted. It was the day they put Riot frames on closeout, and when I loaded my cart back up, the frame was $999.
    So I saved $500 by cutting my grass before ordering, and ended up with a Riot frame w/DVO Topaz shock plus a NIB Pike RCT3 for $1548 total
    Plus you ended up with a nice looking lawn, score!

Sneaker man
    I don't know about insanely good, but when I got my GT Zaskar re-issue, they were supposedly going to be around $AU1800 here in OZ, but then we never got any so couldn't buy them...then a bunch ended up on Wiggle for $1300, but they did post frames internationally...then they were on sale...then they were on super sale AND they would post, so ended up getting one for $800 something shipped.

Or when I first found wiggle and got soem sidi eagle 6's, they retailed here for $550, pair $260.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Brand new Reverb 1x lever for $40 shipped.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    2017 Intense Recluse frame for 1000.00 Best deal I have gotten yet as far as bikes/componenets go. I guess I did score my new take off 140mm 27.5 Manitou Magnum Pro for 250.00 shipped to my door. So thats a pretty solid deal as well.