mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm More expensive bottom bracket worth the money? Discuss..

Hi All,

So bottom brackets. I normally change mine once a year for about 20 genuine shimano BB. They don't normally last a wet\muddy UK winter so i swap it this time of year. It goes through the summer then gets killed in the winter ready for a spring change next year. Takes 30mins to swap over.

Would it benefit me to get a Hope BB? Circa 70 to buy one. I'd need it to last me 3 winters with out new bearings to make it worth while price wise. Thinking Stainless Steel not ceramic. Bearings are almost as much a new Shimano BB. How much extra life am i likely to get from a Hope BB and its bearings? Is 3 UK winters pushing it?
    Follow me on Twitter @OnOneCarbon456

Hi I'am an On-One Carbon 456 mountain bike, follow me to find out what i get up to...

mtbr member

Re: More expensive bottom bracket worth the money? Discuss..

Sounds like you need one that you can push fresh grease through to rid it of water, dirt, etc. Something like a Chris King.

Not sure the hope will last any longer than the shimano.

High Desert MTBer
    +1 on the Grease Guard system. That is what I used to run many years ago in UK winters, and it extended the life of BBs, headsets etc. I can't remember what make I ran, but they're out there.

Of course you could just move to Arizona and not have to worry about UK winters...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    How about new Enduro bearings for your old BB?

RIP Friendgirl
    +1 Easy to do yourself if your so inclined.
    Quote Originally Posted by syl3 View Post
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

More expensive bottom bracket worth the money? Discuss..

This is so right on, you deserve a cookie AND a biscuit!

All kidding aside, I was super frustrated with Shimano BB's crapping out so frequently. Eventually, mine would get this ticking feel with every rotation, telling me they're ready to go. Real World Cycling bearings were the best upgrade I could possibly do. Quality and design is FAR superior over Shimano, and they were very affordable.

Took me but 30min. to install.

http://www.dionridesbikes.com/2013/0...placement.html

Sent from CouchPad via Outer Space

MTB B'dos
    New set of HT2 SS bearings from Real World cycling, AKA Enduro are $15 US + shipping and they are much better than the stock Shimano ones because they don't use the plastic shim between the spindle and bearing and hence use a bigger ball in the bearings - this is the route I'd go. That being said, no matter what bearings I use, my non-drive side bearing ALWAYS craps out on me in short order, drive side ones seem to just last
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

For your health.
    Whatever bearings you get, pop the seal and fill them with grease before you even put them on your bike. No bearings come 100% filled. When there is no empty space in the bearing water and dirt will enter much more slowly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    New set of HT2 SS bearings from Real World cycling, AKA Enduro are $15 US + shipping and they are much better than the stock Shimano ones because they don't use the plastic shim between the spindle and bearing and hence use a bigger ball in the bearings - this is the route I'd go. That being said, no matter what bearings I use, my non-drive side bearing ALWAYS craps out on me in short order, drive side ones seem to just last
    I had the same problem with just one side failing and it went away by re-facing the BB. The warped cup was forcing the bearing into destruction.

MTB B'dos
    Good idea, except it's happened on 3 different frames, from 2 different brands, although all 3 were built in the same factory I doubt that's it though, because when I've also had to service/replace other riders external BBs it's always been the non drive side one that's the worst/bad. Sadly no one down here has a facing tool and they're too damned expensive to purchase unless you run a shop or have lots of disposable income.
    I had the same problem with just one side failing and it went away by re-facing the BB. The warped cup was forcing the bearing into destruction.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    When I popped the covers and seals on my recently purchased XT bb I found what I expected- very light grease coating on the ND side and somewhat more on the drive side. You have to fill both but if you don't the ND side will probably fail first. I recently cleaned and refilled an older one again. It is still working.
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-26-2013 at 04:08 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ononecarbon456 View Post
    Hi All,

So bottom brackets. I normally change mine once a year for about 20 genuine shimano BB. They don't normally last a wet\muddy UK winter so i swap it this time of year. It goes through the summer then gets killed in the winter ready for a spring change next year. Takes 30mins to swap over.

Would it benefit me to get a Hope BB? Circa 70 to buy one. I'd need it to last me 3 winters with out new bearings to make it worth while price wise. Thinking Stainless Steel not ceramic. Bearings are almost as much a new Shimano BB. How much extra life am i likely to get from a Hope BB and its bearings? Is 3 UK winters pushing it?
    Get new bearings, dirt cheap. You can even pry the dust seal off of the shimano BBs and re-grease the bearings.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.