Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    meh... whatever

Missing Mountain Biker

local missing rider.

on sat morn, 6-21, while on a ride he crashed, then got separated from the group, and has been missing since then. there is a LOT of acreage and gnarly terrain surrounding the north shore trail, so if he suffered a head injury, became disoriented, and/or lost consciousness somewhere this could end up bad.

your thoughts, prayers, vibes, energy, etc that Wes is found quickly would be most appreciated.

thx.

linky
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    {{{vibes}}}
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Bro Mountainbiker
    I hate to see things like this... Hope they find him soon.

But what the heck was he thinking not taking his cell phone with him?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

meh... whatever
    can't say. perhaps since others in the group had phones with them he left his in his vehicle. i often do the same thing.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    can't say. perhaps since others in the group had phones with them he left his in his vehicle. i often do the same thing.
    I had a pretty bad MTB accident in 2010 and had to call in for rescue. Ever since then I dont go out without it. But to each his/her own.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Why are those searchers not on bikes?

Warrior's Society
    Well that sucks.....

My question is why did the group allow the rider to get so seperated from the rest of the group.

Our group rides we regroup on a regular basis, just for these reasons. We don't allow the group to get so spread out that it takes that long if we have to backtrack to locate an injured/lost/mechanical.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I rode this trail on this same day day. I saw all the cops (I think it was in its infancy at this point) and wondered why. I'm assuming he was on the west side, the more technical side of the trail? If he was on the East side, it's so heavily traveled and lined with neighborhoods, I can't imagine getting lost over there. Even still, it's not like the west side has a network of trails, so I'm not sure why or how he could of wandered off into the woods and off the trail. I guess a head injury could do that to you, I don't know.

A few weeks ago, I was on the west side of this very trail and re-aggravated a knee injury that I sustained in Arkansas the week before. I had to mostly limp out, riding slowly when I could, but the terrain on this loop is extremely rocky and unforgiving. It got dark on me and I had on RX sunglasses, with no lights, so I was starting to get pretty nervous. I can only imagine how this guy feels, if he's in fact still out there.

The searchers might not have been on bikes because it's been pouring rain since Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Positive vibes from this direction. Wish there was something I could do. Had I known at the time, I would have made a lap over there. I just assumed someones bike was stolen or had their car broken into.

mtbr member
    Looked like some people were on bikes in the video. At this point he most likely isn't on a trail instead he is wandering in the woods. Either the head injury made him disoriented or he tired to short cut thru the woods to get back and got lost.

Either way hope they find him.

mtbr member
    Scary stuff. Let's hope for the best.
    Get me the knuckles of Frisco..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Also, some of that trail is pretty gnarly for an XC trail. Lots of tree overgrowth that can keep you from having line of sight with a rider, even just 20 yards behind/in front of you.

I know there were several groups of volunteering MTBr's that rode the trail forwards and backwards looking for him during the first day of searching, but there's been rain since Saturday evening, so the search is probably being done mostly on foot at the moment.

I'm still surprised that no one in the group stopped to give him a once over if his crash was as hard as they're making it sound. They mention in one of the articles that the riders in his group said he wasn't acting quite the same after tumbling, which should have been raising all kinds of red flags.

Take a few hours out of your schedule and study up on basic first aid and learn how to improvise leg and arm splints, and how to check for signs of concussion. Can help yourself and any of your riding partners in such an event.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    All my thoughts and prayers and good vibes out the missing biker.

Not to derail (no pun intended) but just yesterday during a ride with 3 friends, one was separated from group (happens). He had cell as did we but coverage is spotty. His phone was low on charge to boot. I for one do not normally take my phone (shrug). He eventually made his way out on his own but it could have ended much differently. There are many things one can do (singularly and collectively) to prevent this as well as managing it when it does happen. Almost deserves a separate thread.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    If the guy is still in the woods, he might have wandered off trail but I can't imagine him pushing his bike off trail through the brush. So at least his bike should be found trail side, unless he got out and rode somewhere else.

This story makes me think about Liam Neeson's wife, who fell while skiing and thought she was fine. Went home and didn't get sick until a few hours after the fall, and ended up dying.

I hope it is nothing like that, but head injuries are tricky business.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    If the guy is still in the woods, he might have wandered off trail but I can't imagine him pushing his bike off trail through the brush. So at least his bike should be found trail side, unless he got out and rode somewhere else.

This story makes me think about Liam Neeson's wife, who fell while skiing and thought she was fine. Went home and didn't get sick until a few hours after the fall, and ended up dying.

I hope it is nothing like that, but head injuries are tricky business.
    they are indeed. not being there, i'm not sure how he got separated. it's easy to speculate or condemn since many of us would have "sandwiched" the rider or had him under observation as we left the trail. even more so after odd behavior subsequent to a crash. and more so yet for those of us in health care (especially those of us with an e.r./e.m.t. background).

had a friend do a face plant out there on the same trails a couple of weeks ago and kept a very close eye on him for the rest of the ride. from what i understand it was a group of 4 that split into two groups of two. his riding partner somehow lost sight of him and then couldn't find him when he doubled back. then he panicked and rushed back to the parking lot thinking Wes had gone back to his vehicle. when he wasn't there they flagged down a cop and the search began.

there are some parts of that area that are so thick that if you drug your bike even a few feet off the trail you'd be virtually invisible. if, not thinking clearly and trying to get out of the heat, he had done this it would be possible to pass within a couple of feet of him and not see him. the thick brush is what made the helicopter search fruitless.

from what i understand it was also theorized that he may have tried to ride out and gotten lost due to a concussion, but were that the case he would have likely encountered someone by now and the authorities been notified. however, if this were the case and he left the road to seek shelter and then lost consciousness it could be very difficult to find him. possibly even more so than if it happened on the trail since he would be outside the designated search area.

this is compounded by the scenario you mentioned with liam's wife. people with TBI don't always think clearly, and he may have made some decisions that led him off the trail to be safe (in his mind) and then lost consciousness. sadly, the more time passes without finding him the more likely such a scenario becomes. he's been missing for two full days and nights now, a significant fact given the texas heat and sudden flash flooding we experienced yesterday.

i'm praying not only for his protection but for his wife and family as well. many, many lives are poised to be impacted here. and of course for the search team that they will have the guidance and stamina to find him quickly. the grim reality is that the more time passes the less likely the outcome will be positive.

godspeed to all involved.

Team Livemedium
    "the thick brush is what made the helicopter search fruitless" just an assumption but don't most police choppers have infrared? He could have went to the lake to cool off. Can't believe they didn't find bike yet. Scary. Also are there caves there? God bless him and the rescuers.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    "the thick brush is what made the helicopter search fruitless" just an assumption but don't most police choppers have infrared? He could have went to the lake to cool off. Can't believe they didn't find bike yet. Scary. Also are there caves there? God bless him and the rescuers.
    certainly seems to be a reasonable assumption. especially on the state trooper copter that was out there. news reports stated the DPS said they called off the air search because the thick canopy of trees made spotting anything challenging. i'd assume that means both visual and infrared, but that's merely an assumption. they had canines on the scene almost immediately with no luck either.

very odd that no trace of him has been found. no bike, helmet, sunglasses, water bottle, nada. it's like he vanished into thin air.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately they located the body of the missing mountain biker. My prayers go out to his family.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spooney2 View Post
    Unfortunately they located the body of the missing mountain biker. My prayers go out to his family.
    Body of Missing Cyclist Found Monday Afternoon | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

meh... whatever
    sad indeed. found him in an area that had been previously searched. linky

he leaves behind a wife, 2 kids under 6, as well as other friends and family.

my prayers go out to all.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I doubt any of us ever consider the possibility of dying when we are heading out for a ride... I know that's the furthest thing from my mind. Such a tragedy.
    When I first heard the report on the news, I did not know that a crash was involved earlier on, so I was left wondering if it was an accident or homicide or??? I don't wish death on anyone, but I can deal with an accident doing something you love much better than the other.

Many prayers to his wife and children.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How the hell did the people riding with him not keep a closer eye on him knowing that he had a bad crash during the ride? This sucks and thoughts go out to his family, but at least a portion of the blame goes to the people riding with him.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    How the hell did the people riding with him not keep a closer eye on him knowing that he had a bad crash during the ride? This sucks and thoughts go out to his family, but at least a portion of the blame goes to the people riding with him.
    A portion of the blame? Were you there? We all know that we risk it by MT Biking and anything can happen, we except it because we love to do it. It really sucks for this guys family, but to blame others without knowing if they did any intentional harm is out of line.

derp
    Damn that is awful ... This is one of my fears when i'm riding alone.
    My thoughts go to his family.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Missing Mountain Biker

This is a horrible tragedy. Let's leave the blaming and what shoulda coulda been done out of it.

Ugh. Feel so bad for his riding buddies and family.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast