Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusdriver View Post
    A lesson to keep a watch on each other when riding in the middle of nowhere.
    Or riding anywhere for that matter. Or doing anything for that matter.

(dirtjunky, ice cream was agreeing w/ you. not all quoted posts are counterpoints,
    heck, he has the grateful dead ice cream guy avitar. He must be a peaceful hippie.)
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

meh... whatever
    I would echo this.
    However this guy may possibly have told his mates he was fine, and he might have looked alright, as l did.
    A lesson to keep a watch on each other when riding in the middle of nowhere.
    if you will read the statement from the guy who was actually with him it will clear up your "however..." and may cause you to give your echo a second thought.

i too agree with your last statement. life is a team sport.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Prayers for the family and friends. A sad reminder about staying safe and looking out for each other. I ride alone most of the time and this is what concerns me about doing that.

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Oh well if that's the case I apologies to him. But that's not how I took it obviously. And after re-reading it I'm still not sure. Anyway get this thread back on well wishes towards family and friends going through these tragedies.
    Yeah, DJ, I think you misinterpreted his post.

If it were to have been a more "urban" kind of reply, it might have went something like this:

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    It's amazing to me that a thread about the accidental tragedy of someone's loved one can become such a low class cesspool of comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Word.

Those bichizz need to take dat shizz up outa here....

...heerzz da real
    https://fundly.com/in-fond-memory-of-wes-hixson
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    if you will read the statement from the guy who was actually with him it will clear up your "however..." and may cause you to give your echo a second thought.

i too agree with your last statement. life is a team sport.
    I did not find the statement from his riding buddy.
    I only read the one that said they "became separated"
    Can you direct me to the statement? As l looked but did not find it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did not find the statement from his riding buddy.
    I only read the one that said they "became separated"
    Can you direct me to the statement? As l looked but did not find it.
    Post #69

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    Here is a post from the DORBA Facebook page, via David Bennett, the last rider that was with Wes before he went missing:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dorb...2274581909139/

Still no official cause of death (that I've seen announced, at least), but the words of this man make it sound like there wasn't a genuine reason to be concerned after Wes crashed the first time, unlike what the media was reporting. So the speculation as to what caused him to die is still going to keep going, I guess.
    Thank you for posting the information.

There are a few things that can go wrong in just about any endeavor that become a "Perfect Storm" and this incident will make me think more about how and where I ride and if I even consider going it alone.
    Hydration can be critical for fine motor skills and clear perception. Even a slight impact to the head with helmet can cause soft tissue damage.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 06-26-2014 at 02:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah reading that l can see how the situation unfolded.
    The guy just pointed to a house in the distance and said he was going to get some water.
    He seemed uninjured and normal at the time.

You can always look back at situations like this and say "what if".
    I often meet up with a friend for a ride. We separate near the end to go home, l then have to do a fairly technical climb followed by a fast descent off road.

Although we would never leave each other if injured, after a minor crash where all seemed fine l am not sure we would not just go our separate ways, as normal.

meh... whatever
    Yeah reading that l can see how the situation unfolded.
    The guy just pointed to a house in the distance and said he was going to get some water.
    He seemed uninjured and normal at the time.

You can always look back at situations like this and say "what if".
    indeed, hindsight is always 20/20.

wes was not pointing AT the house, he was pointing in the direction of a house WITH A ROAD NEAR IT. and since he pointed in that DIRECTION he assumed he was taking the road back to his truck. wes said, "i'm gonna go this way" rather than "i'm going over there to that house to get water". and even if he had said that, i don't know there's reason to believe he had a TBI. david hadn't ridden north shore before and could've assumed david knew a place to get water. in fact, david had never even ridden with wes before, so how was he to know what "normal" was with him?

i don't know david, and i'm not speaking for him, but from the evidence we have there is little reason to insist he should have suspected wes had a closed-head injury.

unfortunately there will be plenty of ammo for more speculation, assumption, and blamethrowing once the autopsy is performed and an official cause of death is determined. and when that time comes i'm sure this thread will be revived and turn into the holy grail of wild, errant assumptions and blaming.

mtbr member
    You misread my post.

The point you made is the one l was trying also to make.

meh... whatever
    You misread my post.

The point you made is the one l was trying also to make.
    apparently so. my apologies, i'll edit accordingly.

it seemed to be sarcasm, especially when combined with not leaving each other after a minor crash. it seemed like you were saying david shouldn't have left wes either.

thanks for clarifying.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    You people, I swear. It was an accident, plain and simple. I was there riding that day, I rode right past him that day.. as did everyone else out there that day. Are we all to blame for not seeing him?

MTBing is inherently a dangerous sport, we all know that. A guy at Cedar Hill died in the parking lot riding his bike to the bathroom, ffs. We don't get the decision to choose when and how, but he died doing what he (and all of us) love to do. Prayers to his wife and kids, donations to his fund, silent ride in his honor tomorrow.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    There's this really odd human tendency to have to have an explanation for everything and rationalize cause and effect, probably to suppress inner fear.

Here is the hard fact. Any of us could be killed any second by some circumstance beyond what we can anticipate or control. A tree could fall on you, your house could explode, a plane could crash into you, you could simply have a heart attack or a stroke or you could get hit by lightning or a meteor. You could also just put that front tire just 2 inches too far to the left and go right over the bars and break your neck.

So enjoy your life. This is your moment in the sun.

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    There's this really odd human tendency to have to have an explanation for everything and rationalize cause and effect, probably to suppress inner fear.

Here is the hard fact. Any of us could be killed any second by some circumstance beyond what we can anticipate or control. A tree could fall on you, your house could explode, a plane could crash into you, you could simply have a heart attack or a stroke or you could get hit by lightning or a meteor. You could also just put that front tire just 2 inches too far to the left and go right over the bars and break your neck.

^^^This

Well said.

I hope the family is doing ok.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Co Springs
    On speculation-

We get the benefit of a more entire and focused picture. Totality of circumstances enables one to connect the dots and take time reviewing many things that may or may not be relevant, the events or clues leading up to an incident and the outcome or result.
    On the trail, the rider/s have a quick snapshot of something and are generally not playing 'Colombo' trying to solve a mystery or make sense of events - yet to transpire.

It's tricky to speculate without sounding like a know-it-all, condescending or insensitive. Hopefully, the goal is to be better advised of dangers or learn something along the way.

Fact-

Last week, I was on a ride above my technical skills and toward the latter 2 miles of uphill, exhausting my fitness to the extreme. Whether exhausted and blurry due to physical fatigue or dehydration, I know these two conditions cause me similar challenges.

In this case it was exhaustion. I stopped a ways back from other riders to take a few breaths and sip some water. The bike slowly tilted right whereas my left foot was unclipped and supporting me.
    Sure enough, the ground to the right sloped off a teeny bit and I did a slow fall landing softly (somehow) on my right, partially on my water bladder and maybe not even contacting helmet to ground. The incident (to my way of thinking) is blurry because I was exhausted and not that I hit my head. I don't recall if I tried to unclip on the right and just didn't do so in time or the reach was too far to get my foot planted or did I even try ?

My point here is if I had the bad luck of being next to a rock or tree stump and just slightly hit my temporal area even with helmet at a very minor velocity, it could have been a freak incident / fatal result.

~brian
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Co Springs

Absolutely.
    There is a control freak in some folks. Study the stats, Look at how and why some people make it and some don't etc..... I think the guy that wrote some interesting articles (if you are a survivalist) and even a few books is Laurence Gonzales.
    He'll tell you where to sit on the aircraft, keep your shoes on, stay awake etc...
    30 % of people that fall to their death in the Grand Canyon are posing for a picture! It's nuts.

I researched motorcycle safety a while ago thinking that growing up on dirt bikes left a lot of gaps if were hitting the city streets and highways or doing commuting and blending with thousands of other motorists in bigger vehicles and blind-spots.

I looked at fatality stats, night riding, visibility, helmets versus no, alcohol related incidents, riding with members of similar risk aversion and such. There is a distinct group of 'unlucky' people out there as you might guess but trying to do everything right

Is NO GUARANTEE !
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

meh... whatever
    seems a lot of it also has to do with today's short attention span culture. it's instant everything. no patience. quick to bring down the hammer and slow to give the beneit of the doubt. everyone has to have a cause they are either railing against or promoting - generally the former.

look at the dog bite girl and kfc story. turns out it's fake, yet in only a few days over $130,000.00 was donated by knee-jerk social reactionaries. massive protests against kfc. demands for boycotts. then after just a wee bit of investigation it turns out to be a complete fabrication. oops.

mtbr member

Missing Mountain Biker

DirtJunkie, yes I agree with you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Absolutely.
    There is a control freak in some folks. Study the stats, Look at how and why some people make it and some don't etc..... I think the guy that wrote some interesting articles (if you are a survivalist) and even a few books is Laurence Gonzales.
    He'll tell you where to sit on the aircraft, keep your shoes on, stay awake etc...
    30 % of people that fall to their death in the Grand Canyon are posing for a picture! It's nuts.

I researched motorcycle safety a while ago thinking that growing up on dirt bikes left a lot of gaps if were hitting the city streets and highways or doing commuting and blending with thousands of other motorists in bigger vehicles and blind-spots.

I looked at fatality stats, night riding, visibility, helmets versus no, alcohol related incidents, riding with members of similar risk aversion and such. There is a distinct group of 'unlucky' people out there as you might guess but trying to do everything right

Is NO GUARANTEE !
    You forgot flying sharks...
    It's all Here. Now.

Team Livemedium
    I linked to this post in our local mtb forum and a couple folks thought it sounded more like dehydration than head trauma. Drinking the night before, getting out in the heat, feeling faint and out of water. Other rider said he didn't fall hard or hit head hard. Maybe he woke up and had little or no breakfast and just a coffee. Not to be all speculative but maybe he fainted on the trail then fell into the ravine. Just saying this so we all learn to be safer and remember to stay hydrated, carry enough (or more than enough)water and electrolytes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    seems a lot of it also has to do with today's short attention span culture. it's instant everything. no patience. quick to bring down the hammer and slow to give the beneit of the doubt. everyone has to have a cause they are either railing against or promoting - generally the former.
    Todays culture has nothing to do with it. Humans NEED to assign a cause for every thing. On the edge of knowledge where there isn't a known answer we will make something up to explain it. This is why the ancients, (not that long ago by the way) would react to natural phenomena like comets or droughts by sacrificing children or burning "witches" at the stake. It is part of the human mind.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    DirtJunkie, yes I agree with you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh sorry for going off the deep end. Your post wasn't the first one I misinterpreted that day. Too much work and not enough sleep and play make for a grumpy DJ.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    You forgot flying sharks...
    The " it won't happen to me " crowd seems to like Airplanes falling from the sky ! (a darn good example for that argument)

Apparently, there is no distinction between riding a bike rapidly down hills off drops and over rocks a few times a week or being there when another rider comes plummeting down a hill at you and the certain death of living in a city with an airport.

Maybe the upside of these topics is we can better determine who it is we'd want to ride the trails with and those to avoid. If you are a motorcycle enthusiast, you might feel your own safety can be influenced by riders of like-minded comma cents.
    Last edited by bachman1961; 06-28-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    As a Christian I will say that many times the phrase "thoughts and prayers" is no more sincere than "hang in there" or "it'll all work out." And I have been guilty of throwing it out and then going about my day oblivious of what I had just said. Hopefully posting this will help me in not being so trite. As for the content of the prayers, for a believer, it really has to do as much with the eternal well being of an individual and his family as his/their current well being. I've been traveling on this planet going 65,000 mph for a lot of years and whether I'm mentally ill or not, I can't accept that the current state of the world is all I am living for and there is nothing else. I also can't accept a hope for the best... it'll all work out, as far as what happens after I die.

As for his buddies, I really hope that something good will come out of this. So often there is a tragedy and out of the ashes, so to speak, people rise up and make a difference. Who knows, maybe someone will decide to come up with a good way to stay in touch with the other riders through a helmet radio or ??? Maybe groups will start to check in with each other more. Who knows.

John
    True indeed.
    We don't claim to know all the answers. We go through life the best way we know how. Well wishing and Prayer for this fellow and his family certainly isn't hurting anyone. Why anyone would be mad because someone else prays just makes no sense. Any angry heart I suppose. You don't have to be a "religious" person to wish people well and even pray for their general well being. You're not mentally ill, just a person of faith. Ain't a darn thing wrong with that

Team Livemedium
    Hey Monogod, is there any update on the cause of death? I've kind of been looking a little online and on Tarrant County Coroners but have not seen any autopsy results.
    Any Dallas FW folks in the know?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast