Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Whenever I go on a solo epic or a solo night scuba dive I always wonder how many days it might take to find my body. While I don't blame his buddies for the injuries or death I do blame them for the delay in finding Mr. Hixson's body.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Maybe this is what happened:...
    the english language is wholly devoid of adjectives descriptive enough to convey the advanced level of fuktardian douchebaggary you've just achieved.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    the english language is wholly devoid of adjectives descriptive enough to convey the advanced level of fuktardian douchebaggary you've just achieved.
    I usually don't waste time to explain simple concepts to idiots, but for you, I'll make an exception.

If you look at my posts prior to that one, you will see that I was cautioning against all the speculation going on in the thread. Assumptions about what the riders knew and should have done, assumptions about what happened even before he was found, etc.

I simply illustrated a scenario that was completely 180 degrees different than what everyone was assuming. And, in fact, it is a plausible scenario. A guy is dead. You think the cops don't think about those possibilities?

Your fake moral high ground is nauseating, but my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

mtbr member
    THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS, once again, to this poor family who just lost a husband and Dad. How f*cking sad is that.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

meh... whatever
    I usually don't waste time to explain simple concepts to idiots, but for you, I'll make an exception.

If you look at my posts prior to that one, you will see that I was cautioning against all the speculation going on in the thread. Assumptions about what the riders knew and should have done, assumptions about what happened even before he was found, etc.

I simply illustrated a scenario that was completely 180 degrees different than what everyone was assuming. And, in fact, it is a plausible scenario. A guy is dead. You think the cops don't think about those possibilities?

Your fake moral high ground is nauseating, but my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
    whoa! what happened to "Whatever anyone else likes to believe is no concern of mine."? this belief certainly concerned you. why? hit a little too close to home?

i'm aware of your previous posts, completely agreed with you on this one, and would've repped you for it but couldn't because i was out and needed to reload. likewise i'm aware of the point you were trying to make, i just felt like it was a profoundly inappropriate way to make it.

two little kids are crying for their daddy and are at the age where they likely don't understand why he will never come home to them. they certainly don't yet fully grasp the life-long implications of never being able to see him again. life events where they will yearn for him. experiences they will never share with him. they will long in their hearts for him the rest of their lives.

his wife just lost her life-partner. his parents just lost their child. a community just lost someone who chose a career of service to others. and can you imagine what the friend he was riding with must be going through? his death will have a major impact on numerous people for the rest of their lives, and you still insist your comment wasn't the least bit tasteless and/or out of line? really?!?!? that's not fake moral high ground, my friend, that's called empathy.

look bro, we all make mistakes and we all say things people take wrong - none of us are perfect. i too have said things that i felt at the time to be clever and innocuous but instead were in profoundly poor taste. but instead of considering the fact that, circumstances considered, it may not have been the best thing to say you want to stand behind it and justify it by making it everyone else's fault because they're too stupid to get your rapier wit? c'mon man, you're better than that.

is it just possible there may have been a better way to illustrate the ridiculosity of wild unfounded speculation than the manner you chose and scenario you presented?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Damn that is awful ... This is one of my fears when i'm riding alone.
    My thoughts go to his family.

Same here. About a year and a half ago I suffered a freak fall on a relatively easy trail I've ridden many times over the years and broke a few ribs. So there I was in the middle of the woods with no cell phone reception and no one else around, and it hurt like heck just to breathe. To say I was scared would be an understatement.

Thoughts and prayers, and be careful everyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    whoa! what happened to "Whatever anyone else likes to believe is no concern of mine."? this belief certainly concerned you. why? hit a little too close to home?
    My statement above was in reference to praying.

i'm aware of your previous posts, completely agreed with you on this one, and would've repped you for it but couldn't because i was out and needed to reload. likewise i'm aware of the point you were trying to make, i just felt like it was a profoundly inappropriate way to make it.

two little kids are crying for their daddy and are at the age where they likely don't understand why he will never come home to them. they certainly don't yet fully grasp the life-long implications of never being able to see him again. life events where they will yearn for him. experiences they will never share with him. they will long in their hearts for him the rest of their lives.

his wife just lost her life-partner. his parents just lost their child. a community just lost someone who chose a career of service to others. and can you imagine what the friend he was riding with must be going through? his death will have a major impact on numerous people for the rest of their lives, and you still insist your comment wasn't the least bit tasteless and/or out of line? really?!?!? that's not fake moral high ground, my friend, that's called empathy.

look bro, we all make mistakes and we all say things people take wrong - none of us are perfect. i too have said things that i felt at the time to be clever and innocuous but instead were in profoundly poor taste. but instead of considering the fact that, circumstances considered, it may not have been the best thing to say you want to stand behind it and justify it by making it everyone else's fault because they're too stupid to get your rapier wit? c'mon man, you're better than that.

is it just possible there may have been a better way to illustrate the ridiculosity of wild unfounded speculation than the manner you chose and scenario you presented?
    Well I guess talking about death in general is a tricky topic. But I disagree that my suggestion of a possible murder scenario is any more distasteful than a suggestion that the other riders were to blame or partially to blame for this poor man's death. Especially in the context of satire to illustrate a point about speculation.

This is an internet forum talking about a news event. I don't see the need to act like we are whispering in church.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I also have little patience for people who come to internet forums to have their feelings hurt and impose their own stupid sensibilities.

I agree with everyone who expressed sadness and concern for the wife, kids, family and friends. However, that's not the only thought worthy of expression here. A thread of 50 posts saying "thoughts and prayers" is pretty boring, eh? But post what you want, and so will I.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    sometimes phones don't even work up there. Mine specially it matters what service you have..

derp
    I don't mean to offend anyone, but I also have little patience for people who come to internet forums to have their feelings hurt and impose their own stupid sensibilities.
    Then why respond at all ? If you don't have patience for people like that why not move on and ignore ? You're just contradicting yourself ...

A thread of 50 posts saying "thoughts and prayers" is pretty boring, eh? But post what you want, and so will I.
    And yet in a forum with 885,446 threads and 11,047,654 posts you decided to post such insightful replies in a thread you just considered "boring", why didn't you just moved on then ?

Hypocrisy ...
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsilva View Post
    Then why respond at all ? If you don't have patience for people like that why not move on and ignore ? You're just contradicting yourself ...

And yet in a forum with 885,446 threads and 11,047,654 posts you decided to post such insightful replies in a thread you just considered "boring", why didn't you just moved on then ?

Hypocrisy ...

Dude, I am part of this thread and it is not boring because it is not all "thoughts and prayers" posts, and I didn't say it was. Also, it is not hypocritical nor contradictory to respond to someone who addresses me directly, regardless of what I think of their opinion.

Let's take you as an example; you seem to have a problem with reading comprehension, and I wonder if you even understand the meaning of the big words you used, but you asked me a question and I answered. It doesn't matter that you are not worthy of my time. You are welcome.

You have good advice though. Ignoring you would be a good alternative.

I'm not in favor of any more thread derailment, for the record.

Front Range, Colorado
    It's amazing to me that a thread about the accidental tragedy of someone's loved one can become such a low class cesspool of comments.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member

Missing Mountain Biker

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    It's amazing to me that a thread about the accidental tragedy of someone's loved one can become such a low class cesspool of comments.
    I agree. Those other posters should take your pissing contest, religious views and conjecture elsewhere. As I tell my kids about 30 times a day, just drop it, going back and forth tit for tat is just plain childish.

Back to what this thread needs more of: https://fundly.com/in-fond-memory-of-wes-hixson
    Last edited by icecreamjay; 06-28-2014 at 07:07 AM.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Seriously. Take your pissing contest, religious views and conjecture elsewhere. As I tell my kids about 30 times a day, just drop it, going back and forth tit for tat is just plain childish.

Back to what this thread needs more of: https://fundly.com/in-fond-memory-of-wes-hixson
    Me? Read the thread ass hole I haven't said hardly anything. Or quoted anyone. I made 2 sympathy posts out of 3 pages and you quote me as the jackass in the thread.

Read the thread.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Me? Read the thread ass hole I haven't said hardly anything. Or quoted anyone. I made 3 posts out of 3 pages and you quote me as the jackass in the thread. Read the thread.
    Umm, think he was agreeing with you. At least that's the way I took it.
    There's a time and a place for everything so I won't say much more then I'm surprised you didn't expected this from someone, and Steve it appears wants to keep on smilin' and let it go

Thanx for the link, wow some have donated much, makes me feel cheap.

condolences to all his loved ones
    Round and round we go

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Umm, think he was agreeing with you. At least that's the way I took it.
    There's a time and a place for everything so I won't say much more then I'm surprised you didn't expected this from someone, and Steve it appears wants to keep on smilin' and let it go

Thanx for the link, wow some have donated much, makes me feel cheap.

condolences to all his loved ones
    Oh well if that's the case I apologies to him. But that's not how I took it obviously. And after re-reading it I'm still not sure. Anyway get this thread back on well wishes towards family and friends going through these tragedies.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    whatever happened to "Whatever anyone else likes to believe is no concern of mine."?
    My statement above was in reference to praying.
    oh, ok. so whatever someone believes about praying is no concern of yours, but everything else is. got it. thanks for clearing that up.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    "A thread of 50 posts saying "thoughts and prayers" is pretty boring, eh?".
    not really, considering this thread was started specifically to request prayer for the rider and those looking for him.

but hey... way to liven it up, dick.

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    I also have little patience for people who come to internet forums to have their feelings hurt and impose their own stupid sensibilities. But post what you want, and so will I.
    just as little patience has been shown for the stupid insensibilities of yourself and others. and despite expressing such intolerance for it you were sure quick to get your feelings hurt and crap all over the thread because of it. disingenuous much?

oh, and btw... thanks for graciously extending carte blanche posting privileges to us. that's mighty white of you.

meh... whatever
    Me? Read the thread ass hole I haven't said hardly anything. Or quoted anyone. I made 2 sympathy posts out of 3 pages and you quote me as the jackass in the thread.

Read the thread.
    could be wrong, but i took it as him saying "seriously" in agreement with what you'd said.

meh... whatever
    thanks for posting the link again. there have been a couple fakes, but this is the official memorial fund for wes.

also, we're organizing a silent memorial ride at lake grapevine as soon as the weather allows. updates will be posted as they develop.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here is a post from the DORBA Facebook page, via David Bennett, the last rider that was with Wes before he went missing:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dorb...2274581909139/

DORBA family,

I have personally been contacted by David Bennett. David was Wes's riding partner and the last one to see Wes before he disappeared. David has personally asked me to post his comments on what happened. These comments have already been posted on David's personal Facebook page - everything you are about to read has already been seen, approved and commented on by Wes's family. This is not privileged information and is already in the public domain. David simply wants everyone in the DORBA community to know what happened on that tragic day. Here is his post in its entirety:

I have been trying to not look at the media and peoples comments here on Facebook because I know people want answers and want something or someone to blame for the tragedy that happened this weekend. Unfortunately, I have seen and read the comments and knew this would fall down on me being that I was the last one with Wes and made a terrible decision to separate from him.

There are a lot of people hurting I get that, so am I. Let's get something clear though, those of you that have stoned me and criticize me, YOU were not there. You don't know what happened other than what the media has allowed you to know. As a matter of fact, you weren't even there to aid in the search. You sit at the comfort of your home or work and pass judgment on someone from something you have no idea about.

When Wes met up with us, he had mentioned that he had stayed out too late the night before and was a much better rider than what he was showing while on the trail. However, he still was riding fast and hard just as we all were. This was my first time riding with Wes and also my first time riding at north shore. I didn't know these trails so I let Wes lead. It wasn't long before he and I got separated from the other 3 in our group. Once he and I realized that we stopped and waited a few minutes but the group never came so he and I continued riding. Not much further we came to a spot on the trail that had some rocks on the trail. It was on an uphill climb so we weren't traveling very fast here. Wes' front wheel was caught on a rock and he fell over to the left side of his bike. We were on a hill so when he fell over he fell down the downslope of the hill into thick bush maybe 3-4 feet off the trail. I of course asked if he was alright and jumped off my bike and jumped into the bush to help him get his bike back on the trail. He quickly jumped up and laughed it off like it was no big deal like most guys do when embarrassed. This was no violent crash as the media makes it out to be. He fell over while slowly moving. Once out of the bush we both climbed to the top of the hill and were picking the burrs out of our socks and legs from the bushes and I asked him to call one of the other riders to find out where they were. This is when he told me he didn't have his phone so I began calling on mine. He began saying that he thought our group just passed us and I told him no one passed that they were still way behind us. He was adamant they had all passed and then stopped some hikers asking them what color shirts they had on as if the hikers may have seen out group. The hikers of course didn't see anyone either. I still didn't think anything of all of this.. Wes then told me that he was out of water and said " I'm gonna go this way" and pointed in the direction of a house with a road near it. I assumed that since he was out of water and pointed that direction that he was taking the road back to his truck. He rode off and I took the trail back in the direction I figured out group was. This was the last time I saw Wes. I will forever have the image of him on the top of the hill telling me he was going that way in my mind. That moment has forever changed my life.

This has all been extremely hard on me. I continue to ask myself what if and I should have.. I wish to God I could go back to that moment and do something different. I can't go back and change the outcome of what has happened And I will always regret that. I would have NEVER left him had I thought he was injured or thought something was wrong. I am not that type of person. If blaming me and calling me a douchebag etc.. Gives you peace with all of this then I will be your scapegoat. Just know that I too am beating myself up over all of this.
    Still no official cause of death (that I've seen announced, at least), but the words of this man make it sound like there wasn't a genuine reason to be concerned after Wes crashed the first time, unlike what the media was reporting. So the speculation as to what caused him to die is still going to keep going, I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ride on Bruddah.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Missing Mountain Biker

Based on that fb post, it could have happened to any one of us. Wes fell over at low speed and got right back up. David didn't even know the guy well. I hope David overcomes his guilt. A tragedy all around.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Token Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    After accidents, a bunch of people will cast blame and say there was something that could have been done to prevent it and if they had only done that thing, the accident wouldn't have happened. While that might be true, the reason they say that is to pretend that THEY would NEVER make the same mistake, therefore they will never get hurt or die. It's just fear talking. The truth is, you can carry a cell phone, have a first aid kit, wear a helmet, etc., and still something will happen that you didn't expect or prepare for. That's called life. Get used to it.

Also, what's all this prayer nonsense? What do you religious folk expect your imaginary friend in the sky to do? Before you found out the guy was dead, did you really think that your request to intervene would be honored? So if you pray right now for nobody to get hurt ever again, will that work? Does it ever work? Or is it just random chance? Are you guys mentally ill?
    Wow. You're a real dickhole, arent'cha?
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Missing Mountain Biker

Seriously, plenty of dick to go around. Just move on from pointing them out and let's for once try to stay focused.

Not taking any sides here (oh gawd no) but just feeling like it's taking away from a thread subject that deserves a bit of respect.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Thor29;11285103]...what's all this prayer nonsense...QUOTE]

Didn't think I'd see someone hijack the death of a fellow trailer to champion a beef against the religious. Can't imagine the place one is in that no tolerance tolerance for gestures of comfort and sympathy from the religious is to be found.

My prayer for those left behind is that they are not disheartened by the insanity that comes out of this forum at times. There are a lot of really good people here that care, regardless of their stance on religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    How the hell did the people riding with him not keep a closer eye on him knowing that he had a bad crash during the ride? This sucks and thoughts go out to his family, but at least a portion of the blame goes to the people riding with him.
    I would echo this.
    We were out on a ride some months ago and l crashed, sustaining concussion (although l did not realise at the time) l got back on the bike but was not 100% My friends stopped the ride and got me
    out.
    I later found that the crash had smashed the screen on my phone, which was in my pocket.
    However this guy may possibly have told his mates he was fine, and he might have looked alright, as l did.
    A lesson to keep a watch on each other when riding in the middle of nowhere.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast