Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Missing Mountain Biker

That's terrible. Thought and prayers to the family.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

Hell Track
    sad news indeed. What else can you say. Really feel for his family, how hard that must be.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    So sorry to hear this. My condolences go out to his family. I'll pray they find the strength to get through this loss.

Token Hillbilly
    Sad to hear. Prayers to his family.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My kids would do fine without me now, and some days I think maybe momma, too.

Saturday I fell off of my bike and barely saved myself from a nasty 40-foot fall by grabbing a sapling as I went over. Even so, I managed to wreck a helmet and a jersey, my bike's resale value is shot, and my arm hurts.

The good news is my ride partners would hear nothing of "Im just fine". Quick check for possible concussion, shock, numbness/weakness after determining no immediate life-saving action required. Slow ride back to the trailhead and another quick examination. Arguments about the emergency room.
    Texts to wife (Really NOT required, men!)

After reading this thread, Im not mad. Thanks, guys.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Local evening news story was run that said the man's body was found in or near a ravine about 20 feet off the trail, down a fairly steep embankment. Police think that the rider's prior crash could have resulted in a head injury that caused him to lose consciousness or otherwise black out while riding and possibly went straight through the underbrush to where he was found. Body is with coroner for autopsy to find out actual cause of death.

Sad day to find we lost one of our own on the trail, when it could have been prevented.

that rider's buddies are probably going to need some therapy for this. I can totally see them beating themselves up over this.

I saw a guy face plant off of a 3ft drop once. smashed his nose and DEFINITELY had a concussion after a short convo/eval. was not part of my group, but one of my buddies got his truck and we used one of the emergency access points on the trail system to walk him out and drive him to the ER. I helped one of his buddies get his bike out. his buddies were amazed at the first aid kit that I carry on my rides when I pulled it out to hand him a bunch of gauze for his bloody face. situations like that are WHY I carry that first aid kit on my rides.

this guy wound up being one of the students in a class I was TA'ing that semester. I spoke to him at the next class day, and he didn't even remember that I was there.

mtbr member
    We don't know that it could have been prevented. It sounds like the guy probably went unconscious minutes after the initial crash. We don't know if the initial crash killed him or if the crash in the ravine killed him. We don't know that he wouldn't have died even if his buddies were holding his hand the whole time. We don't know how bad the first crash was, or looked, or if it is even reasonable to assume that his buddies should have known it was serious. We don't know if paramedics or an ambulance could have saved him, even if there was one there as soon as humanly possible. There's a lot we don't know.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    After accidents, a bunch of people will cast blame and say there was something that could have been done to prevent it and if they had only done that thing, the accident wouldn't have happened. While that might be true, the reason they say that is to pretend that THEY would NEVER make the same mistake, therefore they will never get hurt or die. It's just fear talking. The truth is, you can carry a cell phone, have a first aid kit, wear a helmet, etc., and still something will happen that you didn't expect or prepare for. That's called life. Get used to it.

Also, what's all this prayer nonsense? What do you religious folk expect your imaginary friend in the sky to do? Before you found out the guy was dead, did you really think that your request to intervene would be honored? So if you pray right now for nobody to get hurt ever again, will that work? Does it ever work? Or is it just random chance? Are you guys mentally ill?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Also, what's all this prayer nonsense? What do you religious folk expect your imaginary friend in the sky to do? Before you found out the guy was dead, did you really think that your request to intervene would be honored? So if you pray right now for nobody to get hurt ever again, will that work? Does it ever work? Or is it just random chance? Are you guys mentally ill?
    Tell us how you really feel

Actually the old "thoughts and prayers' line has always seemed odd to me as well. And I wonder how many people actually do pray, or if it is just something you are supposed to say?

I think it is sufficient to say you feel bad for the family. Or "my condolences" if you can actually communicate with someone affected. But "my thoughts and prayers" is like pretending you are doing something proactive!
    Anyway, just my thoughts. Whatever anyone else likes to believe is no concern of mine.

Switching gears. They said he had a helmet. I would really be interested to hear the coroners conclusions. I don't expect that a bike helmet can prevent all head trauma, but if he died of head trauma with a helmet on, it makes me wonder how bad this crash must have been, and how it must have appeared to the other riders.
    It would be interesting if a reporter would track down the other riders for an interview as well.

mtbr member
    Way to be a dick. Those friends just lost their buddy. The wife lost her husband. The kids lost their dad. You must be a joy to be around.

mtbr member
    Sometimes a prayer is less about talking to a higher power and more about sympathising with a person whom is going through a difficult situation. It's about the desire for hope. It's about being human.

mtbr member
    As a Christian I will say that many times the phrase "thoughts and prayers" is no more sincere than "hang in there" or "it'll all work out." And I have been guilty of throwing it out and then going about my day oblivious of what I had just said. Hopefully posting this will help me in not being so trite. As for the content of the prayers, for a believer, it really has to do as much with the eternal well being of an individual and his family as his/their current well being. I've been traveling on this planet going 65,000 mph for a lot of years and whether I'm mentally ill or not, I can't accept that the current state of the world is all I am living for and there is nothing else. I also can't accept a hope for the best... it'll all work out, as far as what happens after I die.

As for his buddies, I really hope that something good will come out of this. So often there is a tragedy and out of the ashes, so to speak, people rise up and make a difference. Who knows, maybe someone will decide to come up with a good way to stay in touch with the other riders through a helmet radio or ??? Maybe groups will start to check in with each other more. Who knows.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    We don't know that it could have been prevented. It sounds like the guy probably went unconscious minutes after the initial crash. We don't know if the initial crash killed him or if the crash in the ravine killed him. We don't know that he wouldn't have died even if his buddies were holding his hand the whole time. We don't know how bad the first crash was, or looked, or if it is even reasonable to assume that his buddies should have known it was serious. We don't know if paramedics or an ambulance could have saved him, even if there was one there as soon as humanly possible. There's a lot we don't know.
    After accidents, a bunch of people will cast blame and say there was something that could have been done to prevent it and if they had only done that thing, the accident wouldn't have happened. While that might be true, the reason they say that is to pretend that THEY would NEVER make the same mistake, therefore they will never get hurt or die. It's just fear talking. The truth is, you can carry a cell phone, have a first aid kit, wear a helmet, etc., and still something will happen that you didn't expect or prepare for. That's called life. Get used to it.
    We do know that his first crash shook him up enough that his riding pals said that he "wasn't acting quite right", when they first reported this here in the Dallas area. Anyone that has been through an hour of a first aid class (in which head injuries are usually covered first) would have known that kind of response to a crash was a bad sign of a potential head injury, and that alone should have ended the ride, and they should have taken him to the ER to get checked out. Yes, it's possible he had an inoperable injury that he may have died from anyways, but at least he would have been in doctor care, not lying in a ditch, so to speak.

I'm not going to place blame on the rider, or his friends, for what happened. It's possible that none of them had any first aid training whatsoever, and wouldn't have been able to recognize his different manner after the crash as a warning sign. However, that doesn't mean the entire event couldn't have been prevented from at least one of them taking a first aid class that could have given them knowledge of that warning sign.

I don't care who you are, what you do for a living, if you have legal history, are gay/straight, black/white/tan/purple, I highly advise everyone to take a day out of your schedule to learn first aid and field treatment. Knowing how to improvise splints, how to recognize concussions, and tie off a make-shift tourniquet can save someone's life in more situations than just a mountain bike crash.

mtbr member
    Maybe this is what happened:

Wesley the deceased was riding with 1 guy (lets call him John)

John: "Hey Wes, lets let those guys ride ahead. They're too fast for me".
    Wes: "Ok."
    John: "How about we take a break over by this ravine?"
    Wes: "Ok."
    During break:
    John: "I found out you are having an affair with my wife you dirty ^$#@#$#!!!."

A fight ensues. John picks up a rock and kills Wes with a blow to the head, and drags him to a brush covered spot, hoping that time and the rain will obscure the evidence of foul play.

John rides out to the trail head where the other two friends who are waiting.

Friends: "Where is Wes?"
    John: I don't know. He crashed after we left you, but I thought he was ok. But then I turned around and he wasn't there. I tried to find him with no luck. Now that I think about it, he was acting weird. Maybe he hit his head harder than I thought..."

End scene 1.

mtbr member
    wow dude... better to keep speculative, ignorant comments to yourself sometimes. hint: this would be one of those times, since some of you can't tell...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I feel terrible for the Rider, his family and friends.

Also sad that other Mtnbikers can make such thoughtless comments showing lack of sympathy. WOW.... a young person lost his life, a wife is without her husband and children without a Dad. Life will never be the same for this family while we keep riding.

Yes, heart braking for sure.

derp
    Or maybe it's just a way of being sympathetic to another person and not a religious thing ? maybe ... And maybe you sound like a dickwad who likes to get attention ... maybe !
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    For anyone compelled, you can make a donation here: https://fundly.com/m2/in-fond-memory-of-wes-hixson

Front Range, Colorado
    Thoughts and prayers to family and friends. So sad that some feel compelled to show sarcasm and joke about something so tragic and sad. There's a place and time for sarcasm and a thread about a fellow riders misfortune is not one of them.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

What a total Dickwad rant. Try worrying less about what others think, and you may start to become a happy balanced person....it is clear you are a long way fro there now with that massive complex you walk around with concerning what someone else thinks or doesn't think.

Your Best Friend
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Your Best Friend

You deserve to be negative rep'd into oblivion for that one.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Lesson hopefully learned;
    Don't ride away from someone who laid it down and "doesn't seem quite right."
    Thoughts and prayers...
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Wow. another terrible story. But this one is a little different:

"It appears that he had started to backtrack on that trail and was carrying his mountain bike at the time that he went down,"

What does that mean? Heart attack? Never mind. I don't want to encourage "speculative, ignorant comments"...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast