Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Military Jersey Question

Maybe some veterans out there can help me on this one. Wanted to add a sweet looking Air Force jersey to the collection, but being a non-vet I'm not sure if this is out of bounds. I would never think of trying to claim the honor of calling myself a vet, just really like the jersey. Is this a no no or a non-issue?

Your Best Friend

Re: Military Jersey Question

If you wear it, everyone will ask if you served. If you feel ok answering that question to the negative...go ahead.

mtbr member
    I tend to agree with Silentfoe. As long as you are not trying to pass yourself off as a vet, then you are just showing some support for the service and rocking a jersey you like.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    Agreed. Lots of people will ask if you served. I have lots of military related things in my house, simply because I support our mlitary. I do have a cousin that is a Marine though, so I can say I support him and our country's military.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am in the Air Force, you wear it so i dont have to!!

mtbr member
    ... or you could just make something up like...

"Back in the day... when I was operating as LRRPS with Roger's Rangers, crashing beaches from an LST, I was borrowed by the Air Force for Recon duties out of China Beach in Kuwait. We assaulted Hill 812 rescuing some American Med Students during Operation Just BeCause. I took some plaq, got medevac'd out aboard the last Huey and that pretty much ended my military career of 32 years! And THAT'S all I'm allowed to tell you ... But I wear the jersey because I likes de colors man!"

Also... You may get a serious ass-whooping next time you put the words, "Sweet!" and "Air Force" together in the same sentence!
    Now... if you want something really hardcore and KICK-ASS!
    Get an ARMY jersey... something with AIRBORNE on it would be the ultimate... just saying...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
    Also... You may get a serious ass-whooping next time you put the words, "Sweet!" and "Air Force" together in the same sentence!
    Now... if you want something really hardcore and KICK-ASS!
    Get an ARMY jersey... something with AIRBORNE on it would be the ultimate... just saying...
    and thats how it starts........

P.S. I actually came back here to say, you wear Fox? 661? you dont work for them do you? Its just clothes. Now, if you were to wear a uniform with rank and badging, it would be a different story......

Trouser Malfunction
    Quote Originally Posted by Thud44 View Post
    Maybe some veterans out there can help me on this one. Wanted to add a sweet looking Air Force jersey to the collection, but being a non-vet I'm not sure if this is out of bounds. I would never think of trying to claim the honor of calling myself a vet, just really like the jersey. Is this a no no or a non-issue?
    Wearing a Military Color cycling shirt w/o having contributed to Service, it's like wearing a concert-tee with tour dates on the back, but never having gone. I don't knock the intent, just the execution.

Find a not-for-profit or something.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Military Jersey Question

I get the same questions about my service when I wear a Star Trek jersey. Awkward.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    All good points, thanks for the input. Just the fact that I felt I should ask tells me I'd probably still be thinking about it every time I put it on, it's no fun having to explain yourself to those that might question you. I'm no poser. Besides, pops and gramps were Army guys.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I mean, seriously...it's the Air Force. Not like you're trying to pass yourself off as a Green Beret or a Navy Seal. I think Air Force veterans will be able to control their outrage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    I mean, seriously...it's the Air Force. Not like you're trying to pass yourself off as a Green Beret or a Navy Seal. I think Air Force veterans will be able to control their outrage.
    cuz all we do is fly air planes and go golfing

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm no poser. Besides, pops and gramps were Army guys.
    again, you dont work for Fox, or any other MTB company do you? Its just a shirt, if you like the shirt then wear the shirt, if someone asks if you are in or if you served, just say "no, just showing my support", after 9/11 people all over the place wore NYFD and NYPD hats/shirts and no one thought they were posers for not being a member of those orgs. bottom line, if you like the shirt, wear the shirt

mtbr member
    ...MTB company do you? Its just a shirt, if you like the shirt then wear the shirt, if someone asks if you are in or if you served, just say "no, just showing my support", after 9/11 people all over the place wore NYFD and NYPD hats/shirts and no one thought they were posers for not being a member of those orgs. bottom line, if you like the shirt, wear the shirt
    Yep... it's only if you are trying to lie and pass yourself off as something you're not, that gets me.

That's why I wound up getting a bike finally... got tired of everyone asking if I was in 'so-and-so downhiller movie' whenever I would walk around town in my FOX jersey/pants, 5.10 Impacts, 661 pads and helmet... it just got tiresome to tell the truth!
    Now I actually have a bike to push around town when I wear my uniform!

9/11 is where that stuff sorta went viral in public with all the NYFD and NYPD stuff people were hanging, sticking, and wearing... like maximous said.

As a veteran... I don't think twice about people wearing military camo and such... unless they're trying to put up some sort of front.
    What pisses me off is the guys who lie about their service time or just lie about being in the service at all!
    It's been shown that a number of folks standing on corners with cardboard signs claiming "Veteran" status are fakes or spent most of their time in the brig until they were dishonorably discharged.
    I've met a few myself... rode Harleys with one who claimed SF Medic experience... scrote... scumbag... that's what I think of him and the rest of his kind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was a Marine. It isn't a big deal to me if someone wears a jersey. As long as you are not trying to lie about having served, it's a non-issue IMO, regardless of the branch of service.

FWIW, some of the Air Force guys are badass. REALL badass.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't. My buddy who was (ok, is, as they always are) a Marine. He wears a Marine's jersey when we ride and any time another Marine see's him it's "You served? Ah yeah man, me too" and then off they go. It doesn't bother me, but if I were wearing the jersey I'd feel like a giant tool going "Uh, well, uh, no..I just thought it was cool." Maybe it's just me though.
    :wq

Retro on Steroids
    I'm an Army vet. I could not care less about what you do with an AF jersey.

An Army jersey would be a different story, but you didn't ask.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am a Marine Vet. I think it is a nice gesture, if you are going to wear it out of respect for military personnel. But, I would prefer you did not wear one if you have not served. I have lost friends and family members while they were serving. It is a brotherhood, you were not a member. Have seen too many times, people say they served, were a Marine Corps sniper, a Green Beret, or a Navy seal, and later find out they did not even finish boot camp. Never met a single one of them say they were a cook. lol Someone had to make all that food we ate. Sorry if some of you don't agree, but Semper Fi. Those that have given their lives for our country, get all the respect I am able to give.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    For the record, I am a former Marine Corps infantryman, served for eight years, had and honorable but uneventful career, and while I remember my military service fondly and am glad I did it I have moved past it, way past it, and don't mind in the least people wearing Marine or other logos without having served. There was a time when it might have bothered me but now...like I said, I'm past it. Free country and all that although it is illegal to wear medals and decorations you didn't earn (look it up).

Like Bdabike observed, most of the stories told by veterans are mostly bogus anyway so what does it matter? In my line of work most of the veterans I meet are disability commandos anyway so I'm not exactly thrilled with the modern military.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by maximous View Post
    cuz all we do is fly air planes and go golfing
    Well..the colf course is the central feature of most Air Force bases. Just saying.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Like Bdabike observed, most of the stories told by veterans are mostly bogus anyway so what does it matter? In my line of work most of the veterans I meet are disability commandos anyway so I'm not exactly thrilled with the modern military.
    What do you mean by that? I think stories told by "veterans", perhaps. not to get off topic, but that's a bit offensive....

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I was a cook...hurry to go in. Let the army let me earn 2 degrees and finished 20 years as an officer. Some of the smartest people in the military I know are logistical experts and, yes, started as cooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bdabike View Post
    I am a Marine Vet. I think it is a nice gesture, if you are going to wear it out of respect for military personnel. But, I would prefer you did not wear one if you have not served. I have lost friends and family members while they were serving. It is a brotherhood, you were not a member. Have seen too many times, people say they served, were a Marine Corps sniper, a Green Beret, or a Navy seal, and later find out they did not even finish boot camp. Never met a single one of them say they were a cook. lol Someone had to make all that food we ate. Sorry if some of you don't agree, but Semper Fi. Those that have given their lives for our country, get all the respect I am able to give.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I guess it never occurred to me to think about this question much. Here in the CENTEX nearly 100% I'd imagine is retired service, active, a spouse or relative, a vet or in some other close way related. And it doesn't bother me to see relatives/family members of military wear their spouse's/Soldier friend's BDU/DCU tops, PT gear etc so no I guess to wear a military cycling jersey wouldn't bother me.

Quiet Professional
    Hmm this is a hard one. As long as you are not trying to pass yourself off as something you are not then all is good. For those that know people that are stating they are "Green Berets, SEALS, or other special operations and are fakes please report to Stolen Valor There is a lot and this website tries to comfront these frauds and inform the public.

Lunatic
    As long as no misrepresentation is involved, support and pride is always good to go.
    SMASH

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast