Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MIKE Vandeman. apprehended by UC POLICE!!!!

36K views 269 replies 122 participants last post by  superjesus 
#1 ·
Several days ago, one of our customers came in to tell us this event that happened to him recently while riding bikes in Berkeley.

On Saturday May 15th, he was riding a trail behind the UC Berkeley campus, when he was stopped by a crazed hiker furnishing an ice pick. The crazed hiker attempted to slice the tire and potentially attack him. In attempt to defend himself, our customer raised a fist and was going to knock the deranged hiker out. The said hiker replied with, "you aren't going to hit a guy twice your age are you?", and the cyclist decided not to but replied with, "no, but I'm going to go contact the UC police". The cyclist headed down the hill and then reported to the UC police, the encounter he just had. Having no idea the name of the crazy hiker, he put in the report with the police and they seemed to know who this said hiker was.
Several days later, the cyclist was called into the UC Berkeley police station to pick the hiker out of a line up. He picked out Mr. V right away, and after he left the line up room, ANOTHER cyclist came in to pick him out of the line up for yet another similar situation.
Mr. V was apprehended and arrested, and is currently facing charges for several accounts of furnishing a weapon and false imprisonment. The police are urging anyone else who has had similar situations to please come forward and file a report. When the cyclist asked the policeman if he was going to site him for riding the trail, the policeman replied with "no, we are not enforcing the use of the trail, and by the way there is no official ruling about bicycles on that trail".

Here is a link to the UC police log for that day so you can revel in a victory for the Norcal mountain bike community!

http://police.berkeley.edu/bulletins/05152010Page2.htm

See less See more
#9 ·
Dan'ger said:
Nice work! Do we know for sure it was Voldemort?
FIxed :thumbsup: Also, great news. Now will someone please find the actual record of his being charged as that is what people will need to refer to when joining in on any possible action or suit. Also, are they giving a cutoff of similar reports, like say the 3 year mark?

ie: Report# ..-..964

Charged/Cited # XXXXXXX.

#12 ·
Classic if true. I can't wait to see the arrest report and booking photo. Someone will need to contact the UCPD. This is a job for the press. Gregg? Francis?

Case #10-01964, Officer Garlick, "If you have a question about a particular case, you may call the UCPD business line at 510-642-6760 and make your request to Records who will then let you know if that information can be made public."

#13 ·
I've got no "brandished weapon" claim

unfortunately, but he did start a tangle with my buddy way back when. I'll see if I can locate said buddy and give him the news. Maybe he'll jump on board. :thumbsup:

To the OP: my buddy worked at your Oakland shop way back when: Dirty ___ I believe was his nickname. Any chance you talk to him much?

#18 ·
I'll have to....

... go find Officer Garlick and thank him personally.

It would be sweet if the OP can take him to small claims court and get MV to pay for the damage to his bike..... just for the record ... and the chuckle.

Man, I hope he gets charged for real, and somebody thinks to bring in all of the over-the-line abusive junk he has spewed mtbr's way, laughing at cyclists death... that sorta thing. Get it read into the public record.

I mean, I don't have an issue with somebody having crazy or stupid opinions. This is America after all. I do object to him acting in an abusive manner to folks.

#20 ·
peletonnissen said:
Several days ago, one of our customers came in to tell us this event that happened to him recently while riding bikes in Berkeley.

On Saturday May 15th, he was riding a trail behind the UC Berkeley campus, when he was stopped by a crazed hiker furnishing an ice pick. The crazed hiker attempted to slice the tire and potentially attack him. In attempt to defend himself, our customer raised a fist and was going to knock the deranged hiker out. The said hiker replied with, "you aren't going to hit a guy twice your age are you?", and the cyclist decided not to but replied with, "no, but I'm going to go contact the UC police". The cyclist headed down the hill and then reported to the UC police, the encounter he just had. Having no idea the name of the crazy hiker, he put in the report with the police and they seemed to know who this said hiker was.
Several days later, the cyclist was called into the UC Berkeley police station to pick the hiker out of a line up. He picked out Mr. V right away, and after he left the line up room, ANOTHER cyclist came in to pick him out of the line up for yet another similar situation.
Mr. V was apprehended and arrested, and is currently facing charges for several accounts of furnishing a weapon and false imprisonment. The police are urging anyone else who has had similar situations to please come forward and file a report. When the cyclist asked the policeman if he was going to site him for riding the trail, the policeman replied with "no, we are not enforcing the use of the trail, and by the way there is no official ruling about bicycles on that trail".

Here is a link to the UC police log for that day so you can revel in a victory for the Norcal mountain bike community!

http://police.berkeley.edu/bulletins/05152010Page2.htm
Awesome!

Morgan

#23 ·
FANATIK-J said:
So will the date that this M. Voldemort cretin gets charged become a new bay area MTB holiday?
I think we should celebrate Mike V day by shuttling Side O! (which is not an illegal trail and therefore is perfectly ok to discuss online, right. right??):thumbsup:

#26 ·
ryman said:
anybody have a photo of this kook so we know who to look out for?
There is a facebook profile for mike vandeman from san ramon, ca. Looks like he's removed his profile pic, but google has cached it.

This may or may not be him.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.