Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Midwest or East Coast Riders...Epic Help?

7K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  VA2SLOride 
#1 ·
Hi. I'm new to this forum.
I recently re-found my love of mountain biking, during a trip to the tropical island of St. Lucia, and am totally getting back into it. (check out bikestlucia.com)
I am planning on taking my brother on a bike trip this summer. We are both going through a bit of a rough spot in our lives, and want to get away, the way only mountain bikers can, and need help picking the best trail/trails for a life-experience. I want to have an experience, not just a mountain bike ride. We are going to drive on a friday, ride saturday and sunday, and drive back on monday. I have tried the Trail review portion of this website, but I cannot seem to get what I need out of it, So I was hoping that if I made a post like this, someone might be able to help.

Here's what I;m looking for.

I want a trail / trail network that has spectacular scenery, and long technical downhills. (keeping in mind that we'll be on light weight XC hardtails)
We both are expert trials riders, so we are looking for technical trails. (fire-roads just won't due, unless the payoff at the top is worth it.)
I'd like to find a trail that can be completed in a day, as I'd like to use a local campground, as opposed to hauling gear on our backs, and it's important to have good beer nearby.

Our radius of travel is about 10 hours from Cleveland. so from Wisconsin to maine, Toronto to Georgia. so you can imagine how daunting a task it is to find the perfect place to go. If you live near a great trail...(I mean a trail worth a 10 hour drive) Please let me know. Please, and thank you.

-Giventofly

See less See more
#27 ·
"I'd certainly recommend places like Harrisonburg, Va and Douthat, Va over this ride. Especially if you want long downhills.

Just my $.02, not trying to bust on the locals trails."

I can certainly vouch for the Harrisonburg, VA area.....the GW Nat. Forest has LOADS of nice singletrack. Every Sept the Shenandoah Mtn 100 is held there. 100 mile backcountry mtb race.....I tried it last year, and made a grand total of 55 miles, but it was on some of the best singletrack that I've ridden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.