mtbr member
    Jun 2004

mid cut shoe vs. low cut

I'm looking to replace my old pair of Performance Shoes and I wanted opinions on mid cut vs low cut. Do the mid cut shoes work for cross country riding as well as the low cut? Mainly I'm wondering if the extra material around the ankle makes it harder to pedal?? Because of some ankle issues that I have I'd like to be able to wear the mid cuts. But I don't want to give up on performance/efficiency when it comes to pedaling on a trail for two hours.

An example of what I'm looking at is the Adidas El Moro. It comes in both styles. Which one would be better for cross country trail riding?

Thanks,

Trail Rider

Mid

I went with mid cut for ankle support(hike a bike) and it keeps some stickers, rocks and dirt out of the shoes or on the socks. I didn't notice any performance difference. I have one weak ankle and this helped me.
    [size=4]Don[/size]

Zero Miles from Myself
    I use mid cuts and find them fine. I do not notice any performance cut. But mine are heavy so I am looking to change out to some low cuts that are lighter. So if weight is an issue you may want to factor that in if the ones you are considering are that much of a diff.

StraightOuttaCompton
    Mid is better for all around riding and will support your ankle and foot better
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0