mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Messed up my friend's bike.....moral dilemma

A bunch us are out riding on Sunday. We came across a bunch of skinny bridges and decided to ride the skinnies, take some pictures and take a breather.

So we're taking turns riding these bridges and my buddy leans his bike up next to one of the bridges to take some photos. I'm riding the bridge, I fall off the bridge and onto his bike. I bend the rear wheel and the derailleur (and bruised some ribs). So I feel super guilty because I fell on his bike and messed it up pretty good. Then again, he left his bike in a precarious place, right next to the bridge.

I apologized, he said its not my fault. I offered to help him replace the parts, but he says not to worry about it. As a bunch of unbiased internet strangers, who's at fault here?
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    half and half?

mtbr member
    If he says not to worry, and he is a friend, do you care who's at fault? Does there always need to be someone who's fault it is?

undercover brother
    Being that your friends, and he said not to worry about it, I wouldn't. Buy him a beer or lunch or something. Bikes get banged up. He probably shouldn't have set his bike there, but he probably assumed you were a better rider

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Who cares whos at fault...

Help him fix the bike...money or time and fun...

mtbr member
    Insist on splitting the cost one more time. If he says no, forget about it and know that he doesn't mind taking care of it himself. If he says yes, then you can have piece of mind etc. Either way you're good.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    "Fault" might have not been the best choice of words. I should've asked, I am I responsible for the damages?
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Messed up my friend's bike.....moral dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Insist on splitting the cost one more time. If he says no, forget about it and know that he doesn't mind taking care of it himself. If he says yes, then you can have piece of mind etc. Either way you're good.
    I think this is a good way to proceed.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    I would say it kind of depends on if he can get it fixed right away, If he has to save up cash or wait a couple weeks, I would pay at least half. If he can get it fixed quick, I would buy some beer or dinner.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    "Fault" might have not been the best choice of words. I should've asked, I am I responsible for the damages?
    OH NO...this is the internet. Blame must be assigned. Arguments must be had!
    Last edited by RTM; 05-07-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Good advice, thanks man.
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Can say "Well, even if you said no problem, "I" feel guilty and would like to help you out here. And...if you insist it's not problem, then at least let me buy you a beer........"

mtbr member
    If I left my bike in a spot where someone else fell off a skinny and landed on it I would not in any way shape or form blame them, nor expect them to pay for the damage. I was the one that left it in a precarious position. I would be responsible.

If I had it sitting against a wall while enjoying a beer, and someone came along and rode into it damaging it, then that is on them.

Buy your buddy a beer, and remember the situation in the future if something similar happens to you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Like most folks have said, my take on it is that he said no worries and doesn't hold you responsible. So either insist on helping if you have the financial means or mechanical know how, or grab him a beer and a burger as a peace offering. But don't feel like either of you are at fault. Accidents happen.
    2012 Rockhopper 29er.

Mostly reasonable responses here. I'd offer to chip in to help fix it. Buying him beer if he refuses to split the cost with you is a good option, too.

Had a guy come into the shop recently. He borrowed his buddy's bike. Didn't damage it in any way, but wanted to do his buddy a favor and pay for some service to the bike...a tune up or disc brake service or something along those lines, so he handed to the mechanic and asked what it needed.

Friends take care of each other like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    What is the difference? "Fault" or "responsibility" is no way to work things out between friends. I would make sure he is fine with it if it was a relationship I valued. If not, I would tell him it shouldn't have been standing there, and move on.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If I leaned my bike up against an "obstacle" or some such, and someone crashed into it, I'd be worried about getting sued for medical bills...

Just sayin'

(ps: i have great friends, don't I )

mtbr member
    Sounds amiable between you two, that is good at least.

I would say that if you make more bucks than they do, then insist on helping your friend out as much as you can. If its the other way around, do the same, but allow them to take the lion's share of the cost.

My vote anyway....

mtbr member
    I had something similar happen to me a number of years back when I was up in Bend. I had leaned my bike against a big rock while we (the group) tried to take a group pic. My buddy bumped my bike and it fell over on another rock and bent my derailleur hanger. Accidents happen, he wasn't being a putz by being a putz. So hey, no biggie, I just replaced the hanger with what I had in my pack and carried on. He felt bad, I told him no biggie, accidents happen as long as in the future I can accidentally bump his bike over.........Nah, just joking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

This.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrn12 View Post
    half and half?
    +1 on this, fairest way to go about it...