mtbr member
    May 2009

Max psi for tubeless Mavic Crossmax 29er

I just starting running my Mavic Crossmax wheels tubeless. I'm running a fully rigid singlespeed, and originally had 30 psi in my front wheel before a race. Somehow, I bottomed out and burped the tire, causing me to flat. I couldn't get any air into the tire, b/c I could not get the sidewall to seal back up. What are you guys running? Perhaps I should be running more pressure, b/c I'm fully rigid. Also, has anybody had a tire blow off from too much pressure?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    I am not advocating this and for the record I run 26" CrossMax tubless rims with 2.35 UST Nevegals.

I have pressurized them to 60 lbs to get a picky tire to seat. I left it at the pressure for 1 hour without issues. I never rode it that way but it held with no issues.

When I ride, I use 30-35 lbs. I have only had a problem once when I hit the edge of a square rock in the bottom of a small trench. I pinch flatted the tire and put a beautiful flat spot on the rim.

Are you using UST specific tires or just adapting a standard rim and tire for tubless use? Sidewall tend to be a bit heavier in a UST tire and help with the burping you encountered. Unfortunately they tend to be heaver and wieght is something a lot of non dh racers don't want to accumulate.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

usually cranky
    the tire will probably go before the rim. the max psi a tire can take should be printed on the sidewall.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, I'm using tubeless specific tires. Kenda Small Block Eights! I'm just afraid of burping again...Idk how that happened. I'm a pretty fluid rider, and I only weight 130 lbs....freaked that it's going to happen again during a race.

Parking Lot Poser
    i used to ride my X max SL' @ 30# on my Trance X here in CT, never had an issue & i weigh 160 w/out gear

my guess is the tire is rated to around 60-65psi, but for a dood who's tipping the scales @ 130 thats obviously a bit high

try adding 5 psi

i also wonder if those tires have a low thread count (tpi) may make it a bit more vulnerable

if all else fails get a dual suspension 29r,..... or get a road bike, those cats love high pressure
    feelin good is good enough

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The whole point of running tubeless is to be able to go to lower pressures. So either that was just a one-off event or something is wrong with your set up. You should be able to run lower than 30psi without a problem.