sock puppet

Mavic Crossmax Enduro DIsc wheelset

i am considering these wheels as i have come across a good deal on them (less than US$300). Are they good wheels for pure but aggressive XC, some rock gardens, 1-2 ft max drops. I am 205#. The wheelset would be installed on 04 Ells Truth...

right now i am using Mavic 618 rims with chris king hubs and i am extremelly happy with them.

also, which disc brakes would you recommend that meet 2 important criteria:
    lightweight and little to no maintenance.

thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    i am considering these wheels as i have come across a good deal on them (less than US$300). Are they good wheels for pure but aggressive XC, some rock gardens, 1-2 ft max drops. I am 205#. The wheelset would be installed on 04 Ells Truth...

right now i am using Mavic 618 rims with chris king hubs and i am extremelly happy with them.

also, which disc brakes would you recommend that meet 2 important criteria:
    lightweight and little to no maintenance.

thanks in advance.
    At 205 lbs i'd say you are too big for both the frame and wheels especially if you are talking any type of drops to flat. Anywhoo a friend of mine recently bought a set for his girlfriend and on the first ride she complained about the rotors being warped so they switched wheels in the middle of the ride. He (170 lbs) claimed they were near as stiff as his '02 Crossmax Disc. I am highly skeptical of that because they only have 24 standard gauge steel spokes but yes they are straight pull and at a very very high tension. Chris is the the King of the wheelsets on this board why do you want to change? And where is this sub $300 deal?

I thought Disc and no maintenance go together like oil and water. But lightweight there are the usual suspects of Marta SL and Hope Mini Monos. Now if only disc, light weight, and inexpensive would go together.....

sock puppet

heh, thanks for your response..

why do i want to change?

well, i am considering disc brakes (again)... but it probably will not hold me for longer than couple of days as usually.

04 Truth is holding up extremely well. It is doing everything I need it to do and more. When i say "drops" i mean regular XC drops or logs that one can fly over... that is all..

you do know that 04 Truth has rocker length changed to accomodate longer travel shock... this puts lot less stress on the seat tube and rockers... I dont get why you would say I am too big for the frame...

i tend to agree on the wheels though...

i'll have to stay with V-brakes for some time. My backup set of wheels is pretty good as well and is non-disc...

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    At 205 lbs i'd say you are too big for both the frame and wheels especially if you are talking any type of drops to flat. Anywhoo a friend of mine recently bought a set for his girlfriend and on the first ride she complained about the rotors being warped so they switched wheels in the middle of the ride. He (170 lbs) claimed they were near as stiff as his '02 Crossmax Disc. I am highly skeptical of that because they only have 24 standard gauge steel spokes but yes they are straight pull and at a very very high tension. Chris is the the King of the wheelsets on this board why do you want to change? And where is this sub $300 deal?

I thought Disc and no maintenance go together like oil and water. But lightweight there are the usual suspects of Marta SL and Hope Mini Monos. Now if only disc, light weight, and inexpensive would go together.....