mtbr member
    May 2008

Mallet C - two questions

#1 - I was wondering if it is possible to remove the eggbeaters from Mallet Cs. Just for jaunts to the skills park or any other time I just want to ride flats. Something tells me the answer to this is to just buy a pair of flats and swap them in and out... but I thought I'd ask.

#2 - Somehow one of my Mallet C pedals is on so tight that I can't get it off. Have tried everything I can think of, including using a cheater bar which only resulted in a broken allen wrench. Any ideas? (yes I am turning the wrench in the proper direction)

Thanks for your time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thepaul
    #1 - I was wondering if it is possible to remove the eggbeaters from Mallet Cs. Just for jaunts to the skills park or any other time I just want to ride flats. Something tells me the answer to this is to just buy a pair of flats and swap them in and out... but I thought I'd ask.

#2 - Somehow one of my Mallet C pedals is on so tight that I can't get it off. Have tried everything I can think of, including using a cheater bar which only resulted in a broken allen wrench. Any ideas? (yes I am turning the wrench in the proper direction)

Thanks for your time.
    you probably can take the eggbeater portion of the pedal off but it it would invovle removing the outer screw and diassembling the whole pedal - probably not worth it.

if your pedal is not threading out take some Tri-Flow spray lube, spray it on both sides of the pedal threads, let it sit for a few hours, then try and taking the pedal off
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The Mallets don't provide any traction. Only easy casual rides would be ok, casual like on the sidewalk. You would be better off buying some flats and changing out.