Results 1 to 89 of 89
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    I'm not sure if this has been done or not. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea (I'll be testing it tomorrow). If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in their results.

    First, I just switched from platform to clipless pedals. I started with the Shimano MT50s. Shimano says these pedals are 60% easier to get in and out of than SPD pedals. I wanted to use a better pedal with more clearance, so I got a pair of XT trail pedals. But even on their lightest setting, they were too hard to get out of. I only narrowly averted disaster on a ride this morning.

    Upon inspection, it appears that the MT50 is easier to get out of simply due to using lighter springs on the part of the the pedal that rotates and releases the back part of the cleat. I notice that each of the rotating plates had two springs operating on them. So, this made me wonder, could I further reduce spring tension on my XT pedals simply by removing one of the springs. The answer is yes.

    The first thing I did was remove the three screws attaching the plate that holds the front of the cleat. Remove the plate and this relieves tension on the springs. There is a screw that the springs pivot about. Loosen this screw and carefully remove the screw just enough to drop one of the springs. Be careful not to pull the screw too much as the adjustment screw will drop out. This happened to me on one of the sides... but I got it back together with some effort. Once the spring is removed, I replace the pivot screw and replaced the plate.

    Now my pedals are VERY easy to get out of. I can still tighten the remaining springs to increase tension on the rotating plate. Now I don't fear falling over on my bike with my feet stuck in pedals. I can increase spring tension incrementally to train myself on proper use. But this only allows me to skip the scary learning period.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    536

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Which cleat are you using? SH51? You may want to change it to an SH56
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    I am using SH56s. I understand the difference. I didn't really post this seeing advice. I just got tired of reading people's unhelpful advice telling new clipless riders that they should just try harder.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    536

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Since you did not mention which cleat you are using i just thought you were using an SH51 which usually comes stock and IS really, for me, hard to get out of..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

  5. #5
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,940
    The only way to make SPD pedals easier......is practice.

    Probably not what you wanted to hear......but the bottom line is that it is not rocket science. There is a learning curve.

    THere are too many riders out there using them that figured it out.

    I would not start pulling parts off your pedals to try and make them easier.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  6. #6
    aka: Bucky Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    The only way to make SPD pedals easier......is practice.

    Probably not what you wanted to hear......but the bottom line is that it is not rocket science. There is a learning curve.

    THere are too many riders out there using them that figured it out.

    I would not start pulling parts off your pedals to try and make them easier.
    ^^ This.

    Really.

    That is all.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    The only way to make SPD pedals easier......is practice.

    Probably not what you wanted to hear......but the bottom line is that it is not rocket science. There is a learning curve.

    THere are too many riders out there using them that figured it out.

    I would not start pulling parts off your pedals to try and make them easier.
    Sorry... but you are simply wrong.

    Anyway, I posted this thread for people who are new to clipless. I didn't post it to be a troll feeding ground.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,825
    I used to have the 540 and I liked them, easy to get in and out. Then I bought the new trail XT and even on the lightest spring setting, it was harder to get out of than the 540. My guess is that the 540 springs are either softer or they are worn (bought them used), and the XT being new. Mind you I used the same cleats on both pedals. Then I got new cleats for the XT and it was still harder. But you do learn how to get out of them properly after many uses, pratice.

  9. #9
    aka: Bucky Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,657
    We were ALL new to clipless at one point. I've never known a rider to have a learning curve issue that has driven them to do such a thing to their pedal. This leads me to wonder how much side to side float do you have in your pedal before it unclips. Perhaps you have some interference between the sole of your shoe and the pedal frame that puts the float under too much tension. I just experienced that with a new pair of Shimano M162 shoes and the PD-M530 pedals (which I just bent and replaced with XT's today). I had to dremel the sole a slight amount to increase the ease of float because my knee was having grief.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    Jimbo nice mod but after 10 hours of practicing you will have confidence in the pedals.

    Unfortunately yours are lacking the tension that allow for good riding. I suggest you put that spring back in.

    Depending on situation clipping out unwanted can be as bad (if not worse) as not being able to clip out when you desire.

    Stay on paved trails and you will be fine!
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    622
    Something else is wrong, because even with the 51 cleats, on the easiest setting, I can easily pop feet out...as in takes almost no effort and wasn't even really rideable. It doesn't make sense that you would have issues with even the lowest tension setting.

    As far as being a post to help new riders, it isn't. If it works for you for whatever reason, then fine, but this isn't a 'mod' that should be encouraged to new riders. There really is a learning curve for most people to learn to ride clipless pedals. They work a certain way for a reason.

  12. #12
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,302
    I agree with above statements. I'm glad you found a happy medium but I would not encourage anyone to make the mods you have done. Clipless pedals are a tool which needs to be learned how to use. You will fail at times! I am sure everyone here riding clipless will tell you they have crashes of varying degrees due to their pedals. That's the way it is...period. They make strapless toe cages that may be more to your liking.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigkat273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    910
    Also spd is not the only game in town, their are other options from time, crank Bros etc. Personally I don't have an issue with spd but I prefer the feel of the time atac setup. So I would maybe try some other brands before trying to Frankenstein a set of pedals just from a safety pov.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hey_poolboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    514
    I'm pretty new to clipless (1 yr.) and I would have never thought of doing something like this. Within the first couple of rides I was cranking the tension up. Mine are xt. On the lightest setting I was popping my foot out at the worst possible moments.

    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hey_poolboy; 08-31-2014 at 06:48 PM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    190
    Great write up. Ive been usung SPDs for 14 yrs and still get "stuck" in them every once in a while. I have the scars and bruises to prove it..lol.

  16. #16
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Sorry... but you are simply wrong.

    Anyway, I posted this thread for people who are new to clipless. I didn't post it to be a troll feeding ground.
    Doubt I am the one who is wrong.....since I have been running clipless since '96, when pedals were not nearly as nice as they are now....I think I have some experience.

    BTW....my pedal tension is cranked up to the max, and I have zero issued getting in and out of them. And I didn't even have to modify mine.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I am using SH56s. I understand the difference. I didn't really post this seeing advice. I just got tired of reading people's unhelpful advice telling new clipless riders that they should just try harder.
    You may not have intended this post for seeking advice, but as with any post in a discussion forum, thats what youll get. If you just wanted to put it out there without any feedback, you should start a blog or something.

    SPD user here, and when I was using the 56 cleats, tension in the lightest setting was way too loose for my liking.. as others as said, this mostly seems like a beginner mod.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    427
    Interesting mod. If it works for you do it. I wonder if perhaps it is not spring tension but shoe sole friction on the pedal? I had one version of Shimano shoes M240 that fit tightly against the pedal body which because of of the friction made the pedal tougher to release from. I was fine with that though and liked the more stable connection.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    I'm really disappointed by the condescending posts here. The only thing I have done is to extend the adjustability range of the SPD pedals such that they are similar to the Shimano Click'r pedals. I rode with the "Frankenstein pedals" today and they were great. No problem with unwanted releases, but I could ride technical terrain without the anxiety of maybe not getting out.

    It seems to me that the first thing that the "experts" here do when anyone talks about starting clipless is that they should reduce the tension as much as possible. So, the "experts" recognize that reducing tension is a valid training tool. Well, I did that... and then some. And it worked great.

    As much as the "experts" don't want to admit it... there are a lot of people that don't do clipless because they don't want to go through the bruise filled training period. Shimano recognized this... that's why they came out with the MT50 Click'r pedals. Well, this gives those people a training option without having to buy an extra set of pedals. I was really expecting a different reaction. Something other than clipless snobs.

  20. #20
    aka: Bucky Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,657
    You're new to the Internet aren't you?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,048
    Best way to make SPD easier is to switch back to flats............

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Raleighguy29's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    922

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Just switch to crank bros. egg beaters are stupid easy to get out of and so are the candys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    You're new to the Internet aren't you?
    Amen

    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Best way to make SPD easier is to switch back to flats............
    No joke. Not everyone needs to ride clipless pedals. I rode them for 14yrs because there wasn't a better alternative for a long time. But now there are solid alternatives in one of the MANY dozens of models of pinned platforms. For any budget. Now I have pinned platforms on even my commute bike, because they just fit the way I ride better.

    Yes, the Clickr pedals have lower spring tension for beginners. Explain again why you bought the XT Trail pedals and then modified them to be more like the Clickr pedals? That thought process just isn't registering for me.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Why would I want to switch to egg beaters??? My XTs work great!

    Are you guys really so scared of modifying anything on your bike? I'm amazed not only at the fear factor of trying something new, but the condescension aimed at that which is feared.

    I'll tell you what... those who are interested in a modified XT pedal should post here. Those who think that it is unsafe, irresponsible or heresy to the Shimano Gods should just find a different thread. I really have no interest in the opinions of trolls.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zyzbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    352
    A ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Amen



    No joke. Not everyone needs to ride clipless pedals. I rode them for 14yrs because there wasn't a better alternative for a long time. But now there are solid alternatives in one of the MANY dozens of models of pinned platforms. For any budget. Now I have pinned platforms on even my commute bike, because they just fit the way I ride better.

    Yes, the Clickr pedals have lower spring tension for beginners. Explain again why you bought the XT Trail pedals and then modified them to be more like the Clickr pedals? That thought process just isn't registering for me.

    After riding the Click'rs for a couple hundred miles, I bought a new bike and had some XTs thrown into the deal. I took them out and was not comfortable on them at all. I understand that they are not that hard to get out of.... when you try to get out correctly. But when there is something unexpected, reflexes don't move my foot in the right direction. Muscle memory has to be developed. I just don't want to get bruised up trying to develop the muscle memory.

    With the modified pedal, I don't have the anxiety of the pending fall over. So, I can ride the way I rode with my platforms with the confidence that I can get my foot to the ground quickly as a reflex action. As muscle memory develops, I'm sure I'll be cranking up the spring tension.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    A ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.
    A troll post....

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    A troll post....
    when everyone is telling you the same thing... which posts become the troll posts?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  29. #29
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,736
    You take something that is a proven product, the SPD pedal, and you modify it. Why hasn't this been done in the past? No need to. You learn how to unclip, plain and simple. Just like you learn to ride a bike, the muscle memory will get you unclipped. In other words, you don't reinvent the wheel, especially when your modified pedal is questionably safe at best. Shimano has been making the SPD pedals how long now? You would think that they would have it just about right by now, right?

    Shoe interference was the biggest hinderance for me. I have a pair of Shimano MTB shoes that have 0 clearance issues. I bought a pair of casual Chrome brand shoes, and there is all kinds of interference not allowing me to unclip. I should take the Dremel to the sole of the shoe to rectify it really. I have crashed on the road because of it.

    You take the bike out in the yard, or a grassy area, and you ride around, and practice unclipping. We all have done it. We all more than likely, have also fallen because of it the first time out. My now ex wife fell in the yard the first day, hell she barely made it out into the yard before she fell. I fell on my first trail ride. After that, I never crashed or fell due to the fact that I couldn't get unclipped. You train your brain to remember that you are clipped in, and that you need to unclip when you come to a stop. Just like you have to take your foot off the pedal. You had to learn how to do that.

    If my post comes across as condescending, I won't apologize. You simply gave up, and are trying to figure out a way to bypass learning how to do it. Lets call it for what it is.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    534

    Re: Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I am using SH56s. I understand the difference. I didn't really post this seeing advice. I just got tired of reading people's unhelpful advice telling new clipless riders that they should just try harder.
    You and other new clipless riders should just try harder.

    TenSpeed is 100% on point. Man up like a red blooded American male, figure **** out, deal with it, and learn to ride.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    You take something that is a proven product, the SPD pedal, and you modify it. Why hasn't this been done in the past? No need to. You learn how to unclip, plain and simple. Just like you learn to ride a bike, the muscle memory will get you unclipped. In other words, you don't reinvent the wheel, especially when your modified pedal is questionably safe at best. Shimano has been making the SPD pedals how long now? You would think that they would have it just about right by now, right?

    Shoe interference was the biggest hinderance for me. I have a pair of Shimano MTB shoes that have 0 clearance issues. I bought a pair of casual Chrome brand shoes, and there is all kinds of interference not allowing me to unclip. I should take the Dremel to the sole of the shoe to rectify it really. I have crashed on the road because of it.

    You take the bike out in the yard, or a grassy area, and you ride around, and practice unclipping. We all have done it. We all more than likely, have also fallen because of it the first time out. My now ex wife fell in the yard the first day, hell she barely made it out into the yard before she fell. I fell on my first trail ride. After that, I never crashed or fell due to the fact that I couldn't get unclipped. You train your brain to remember that you are clipped in, and that you need to unclip when you come to a stop. Just like you have to take your foot off the pedal. You had to learn how to do that.

    If my post comes across as condescending, I won't apologize. You simply gave up, and are trying to figure out a way to bypass learning how to do it. Lets call it for what it is.
    Sure... let's call it what it is... a troll post.

    If you can say that you have never modified a "proven product" to better meet your needs, then you ain't much of a red blooded American male

  32. #32
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,736
    So you are calling me a troll? This is going to get interesting.

    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

  33. #33
    p_h
    p_h is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: p_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    So you are calling me a troll? This is going to get interesting.

    Jim bo,

    The other posters have tried to be nice by giving you advice and you respond to their comments with anger and insults. It is clear that you are not a very bright person (regardless of the halfassed and probably unsafe modifications you have figured out how to do). I understand that as a person who's brain does not operate on the same level as most people, your natural reaction to someone giving you advice is to believe they are insulting you. And in turn, you act on your ill thought out and confused beliefs and respond with insults because it is the only way you know how to deal with a confusing situation.

    The other posters were not attempting to be insulting. I am.

    You believe you are an innovator. In fact, all you have done is created a solution to a problem that does not exist. Or at least a solution to a problem that did not exist until you created it. There is a difference between fixing a legitimate issue and what you have done. You have essentially damaged the structural and mechanical integrity of a product because you refuse or fail to learn how to use it properly.

    Because of your actions, I have created a list of things similar to what you have done.

    1. Buying a camelbak, removing the bladder and using the bag to hold a water bottle. "Hey guys, I have invented a solution to the water bottle cage!"

    2. You want a new pair of shorts. Instead, you buy a pair of jeans and cut the legs off and tell everyone how innovative you are.

    3. Peeing in your own mouth because you a thirsty and all the clean dishes are in the dishwasher.
    "Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    534

    Re: Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Quote Originally Posted by p_h View Post
    Jim bo,

    The other posters have tried to be nice by giving you advice and you respond to their comments with anger and insults. It is clear that you are not a very bright person (regardless of the halfassed and probably unsafe modifications you have figured out how to do). I understand that as a person who's brain does not operate on the same level as most people, your natural reaction to someone giving you advice is to believe they are insulting you. And in turn, you act on your ill thought out and confused beliefs and respond with insults because it is the only way you know how to deal with a confusing situation.

    The other posters were not attempting to be insulting. I am.

    You believe you are an innovator. In fact, all you have done is created a solution to a problem that does not exist. Or at least a solution to a problem that did not exist until you created it. There is a difference between fixing a legitimate issue and what you have done. You have essentially damaged the structural and mechanical integrity of a product because you refuse or fail to learn how to use it properly.

    Because of your actions, I have created a list of things similar to what you have done.

    1. Buying a camelbak, removing the bladder and using the bag to hold a water bottle. "Hey guys, I have invented a solution to the water bottle cage!"

    2. You want a new pair of shorts. Instead, you buy a pair of jeans and cut the legs off and tell everyone how innovative you are.

    3. Peeing in your own mouth because you a thirsty and all the clean dishes are in the dishwasher.
    100% Awesome.

  35. #35
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Sure... let's call it what it is... a troll post.

    If you can say that you have never modified a "proven product" to better meet your needs, then you ain't much of a red blooded American male
    Please explain how potentially damaging a product to make it easier because you refuse to own up to the fact that you lack the skills to use the product the way it was intended to be used, and refuse to practice to develop those skills, makes you a red-blooded American male?

    I thought that being determined to learn to use said product would be more indicative. Or possibly developing an entirely new product that reflects a new way of thinking about the problem.

    This endeavor has "home mechanic syndrome" written all over it.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    534

    Re: Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    This endeavor has "home mechanic syndrome" written all over it.
    I believe its correct anachronism is: Home Mechanic Obsessive Syndrome.

    Or HO.M.O.S for short.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    536

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Quote Originally Posted by p_h View Post
    Jim bo,

    The other posters have tried to be nice by giving you advice and you respond to their comments with anger and insults. It is clear that you are not a very bright person (regardless of the halfassed and probably unsafe modifications you have figured out how to do). I understand that as a person who's brain does not operate on the same level as most people, your natural reaction to someone giving you advice is to believe they are insulting you. And in turn, you act on your ill thought out and confused beliefs and respond with insults because it is the only way you know how to deal with a confusing situation.

    The other posters were not attempting to be insulting. I am.

    You believe you are an innovator. In fact, all you have done is created a solution to a problem that does not exist. Or at least a solution to a problem that did not exist until you created it. There is a difference between fixing a legitimate issue and what you have done. You have essentially damaged the structural and mechanical integrity of a product because you refuse or fail to learn how to use it properly.

    Because of your actions, I have created a list of things similar to what you have done.

    1. Buying a camelbak, removing the bladder and using the bag to hold a water bottle. "Hey guys, I have invented a solution to the water bottle cage!"

    2. You want a new pair of shorts. Instead, you buy a pair of jeans and cut the legs off and tell everyone how innovative you are.

    3. Peeing in your own mouth because you a thirsty and all the clean dishes are in the dishwasher.
    ^^ this!

    What i do not understand from the OP is that he posted an opinion and expected responses to go along with his opinion and since nobody has agreed to his opinion everybody else are ignorant and are trolls?

    SIGH!
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

  38. #38
    It's about showing up.
    Reputation: Berkeley Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,736
    People often start mtb not realizing it is an advanced discipline of cycling. They just go out and expect to learn by trial and error. They really need to work on cycling skills on pave. It is similar with SPDs; folks throw them on the bike and simply expect to work through the learning period.

    What is needed is practice outside of the mtb experience. Neither new mtb'ers or folks new to SPDs want to do that. They just want to mountain bike and click-in like the skilled riders. They don't want to limit themselves in any way. They give you a bunch of reasons, complain about the machine, or try to build work-arounds but....

    In the last 15 years I coached kids and teens developing them into racers. They are captive and must act within perimeters. Teaching mtb to this group is dream; they listen, understand rehearsal, and have far fewer injuries. They develop deep skills and become assets and role models to the other newer riders. Teaching adults is much harder as they want to do what they want to do. The result is broken wrists, collarbones and such, which they have twisted into badges of honor.

    So adults ask for "tips and tricks," a "better tire", higher front bar positions......


    This is not new.
    I don't rattle.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    238

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    OP, you probably need to find another hobby if your afraid of getting bruises. Just sayin..........

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    427
    Jimbo your mod was smart. It gets you the really easy release and maybe when you become more comfortable with pedals, the springs go back in. Can't do that with the clicker. Personally I can't ride flats much. I need free float that an SPD provides. 5:10 and Straightline AMP pedals don't provide that. Plus I ride lots of pretty steep long climbs in Whistler where I live. Like See Colours and Puke. 2k long and 300 metres elevation gain. 15% ave grade but there are steeper bits and a few flatter bits. Clipped in is much more efficient.

  41. #41
    The White Jeff W
    Reputation: jeffw-13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post

    So, I can ride the way I rode with my platforms with the confidence that I can get my foot to the ground quickly as a reflex action.

    So what is the point of using the clipless pedals then? Why dont you just stick with flats?
    No moss...

  42. #42
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    27,528
    I have rebuilt pedals from the bare parts and installed those springs. That's one of the absolute worst things you can ever do as far as maintenance/repair. It's such a PITA to get the spring back in the hole and one of those things you don't even wish on your enemies. Due to this, I'd NEVER EVER take one out that I thought I might need again in the future, it's not worth it. $100 isn't even enough $$$ to make me do it (even if I was still a shop mech).

    With that said, I think the OP needs to practice a lot more before hitting the trail on clipless pedals. The first time he becomes just slightly airborne and the bike drops away because the pedal tension is so loose will seal the deal. When he goes to try and find the pedal it will be in a different position and next thing you know...BAM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    534

    Re: Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The first time he becomes just slightly airborne and the bike drops away because the pedal tension is so loose will seal the deal. When he goes to try and find the pedal it will be in a different position and next thing you know...BAM.
    I guess the good news is that this pedal mod will likely limit both his future cycling and reproductive capabilities.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigkat273's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    910
    Unfortunately the attitude of the OP is also held by those individuals who sanitize tech sections of trail so they can clean it without learning how to ride at a higher level.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les Misérables

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Jimbo your mod was smart. It gets you the really easy release and maybe when you become more comfortable with pedals, the springs go back in. Can't do that with the clicker. Personally I can't ride flats much. I need free float that an SPD provides. 5:10 and Straightline AMP pedals don't provide that. Plus I ride lots of pretty steep long climbs in Whistler where I live. Like See Colours and Puke. 2k long and 300 metres elevation gain. 15% ave grade but there are steeper bits and a few flatter bits. Clipped in is much more efficient.
    I agree with the efficiency... that's one reason why I wanted to switch to clipless.

    I used 5:10 impact shoes on platform pedals. The shoe stuck to the pedal like glue and it was roomy enough inside that I had float in the interface between my foot and the shoe vice the shoe and the pedal. But the shoes were heavy and I was constantly trying to adjust to get my foot in the right spot on the pedal. Clipless fixes that and riding with lower spring tension isn't any more dangerous than riding with platforms with respect to my foot accidentally coming off of the pedal.

    I agree... as comfort level increases, so will spring tension. This just allows me more flexibility.


    I wonder why no one here is disparaging Shimano for coming out with the MT50 pedal. It is advertised to be 60% easier to come out of than an SPD. Well, after removing half the springs, my pedals are 50% easier to come out of than SPD. But I see no one telling Shimano that they are not rocket scientists... that they just need to suck it up and try harder... or any of the other comments I have read here.

    Shimano recognized that a good progression would be MT50s to SPDs. This seems logical and reasonable... but it involves buying two sets of pedals vice one. I simply made a mod that would allow for the same training progression as marketed by Shimano... but with only buying one set of pedals. I guess that makes me irresponsible?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I have rebuilt pedals from the bare parts and installed those springs. That's one of the absolute worst things you can ever do as far as maintenance/repair. It's such a PITA to get the spring back in the hole and one of those things you don't even wish on your enemies. Due to this, I'd NEVER EVER take one out that I thought I might need again in the future, it's not worth it. $100 isn't even enough $$$ to make me do it (even if I was still a shop mech).
    This mod took me every bit of 30 minutes to do. And 15 minutes of that was studying the pedal to see what to do. On one of the spring removals, I pulled the pin too far. I ended up with both springs and the adjustment screw on the table. This is as fully disassembled as they can get. But it only took me a couple of extra minutes to reassemble them from this state. I'm really not sure why it was so difficult for you. I had no trouble at all.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    So what is the point of using the clipless pedals then? Why dont you just stick with flats?
    See above post. Heavy shoes... constantly adjusting foot position... less efficient.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Jimbo nice mod but after 10 hours of practicing you will have confidence in the pedals.

    Unfortunately yours are lacking the tension that allow for good riding. I suggest you put that spring back in.

    Depending on situation clipping out unwanted can be as bad (if not worse) as not being able to clip out when you desire.

    Stay on paved trails and you will be fine!
    I agree... practice will result with greater confidence. But I disagree that my lower spring tension makes my pedals lacking in tension that allows for good riding. I did a quick 12 mile ride yesterday and they performed perfectly. They were very much like the MT50s that I used, but they are lighter and have more clearance.

    I agree that unwanted uncliping is bad. I don't, however, see that as a problem given that I am coming off of long term platform use. Even with my lower spring tension, my foot is far more planted to the pedal than it was on platforms. Therefore, I didn't compromise safety... I increased safety.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post
    As far as being a post to help new riders, it isn't. If it works for you for whatever reason, then fine, but this isn't a 'mod' that should be encouraged to new riders. There really is a learning curve for most people to learn to ride clipless pedals. They work a certain way for a reason.
    Well, I disagree with you and apparently Shimano disagrees with you. My XT pedals now perform almost identically to the MT50s. Is shimano irresponsible for selling MT50s? And what is the reason for the way they work? How about crank brothers, who everyone says makes pedals that are far easier to unclip than SPDs (I haven't tried them... just repeating what I have heard). Are their pedals wrong? I don't think so. I think there is a wide range for a reason.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
    Great write up. Ive been usung SPDs for 14 yrs and still get "stuck" in them every once in a while. I have the scars and bruises to prove it..lol.
    Thanks. I know that clipless has its compromises. For me, this is just less compromising.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Interesting mod. If it works for you do it. I wonder if perhaps it is not spring tension but shoe sole friction on the pedal? I had one version of Shimano shoes M240 that fit tightly against the pedal body which because of of the friction made the pedal tougher to release from. I was fine with that though and liked the more stable connection.
    Good point... but no. Sole tension is not the issue. The issue is that in an emergency situation (i.e. one where I need to get my foot to the ground quickly), my reflex is to pull my foot up or forward. I've done this several times. Even on the lightest spring settings on the SPD pedals, this doesn't work. Once I figure out my error and I consciously move my foot in the right direction, it is sometimes too late. A lighter spring tension will allow me to unclip in an emergency situation that is driven by reflex rather than thought. However, I believe that time in the modified pedals will retrain my reflexes... and that is the goal.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Just switch to crank bros. egg beaters are stupid easy to get out of and so are the candys.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If the egg beaters and candys are so easy to get out of.... are they irresponsible? I've been told that making SPDs as easy to get out of as candys (or MT50s) is dangerous and irresponsible.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I agree with the efficiency... that's one reason why I wanted to switch to clipless.

    I used 5:10 impact shoes on platform pedals. The shoe stuck to the pedal like glue and it was roomy enough inside that I had float in the interface between my foot and the shoe vice the shoe and the pedal. But the shoes were heavy and I was constantly trying to adjust to get my foot in the right spot on the pedal. Clipless fixes that and riding with lower spring tension isn't any more dangerous than riding with platforms with respect to my foot accidentally coming off of the pedal.

    I agree... as comfort level increases, so will spring tension. This just allows me more flexibility.


    I wonder why no one here is disparaging Shimano for coming out with the MT50 pedal. It is advertised to be 60% easier to come out of than an SPD. Well, after removing half the springs, my pedals are 50% easier to come out of than SPD. But I see no one telling Shimano that they are not rocket scientists... that they just need to suck it up and try harder... or any of the other comments I have read here.

    Shimano recognized that a good progression would be MT50s to SPDs. This seems logical and reasonable... but it involves buying two sets of pedals vice one. I simply made a mod that would allow for the same training progression as marketed by Shimano... but with only buying one set of pedals. I guess that makes me irresponsible?
    The one thing you see repeated on this site, are suggestions AGAINST using a pedal such as the MT50. A hybrid pedal that combines platform and clipless does neither well. You either get a dedicated clipless pedal, or a dedicated platform. The reason why Shimano creates such a pedal is because people with inexperience buy them without realizing just how bad they are. After a short time with such a pedal, people realize just how bad they are.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    The one thing you see repeated on this site, are suggestions AGAINST using a pedal such as the MT50. A hybrid pedal that combines platform and clipless does neither well. You either get a dedicated clipless pedal, or a dedicated platform. The reason why Shimano creates such a pedal is because people with inexperience buy them without realizing just how bad they are. After a short time with such a pedal, people realize just how bad they are.
    So, your argument is that Shimano was irresponsible for making the MT50? How about CB with their lightly springed pedals? And what about those people (like me) who actually liked the MT50s... are we wrong too? Or are you suggesting that I am the only one who likes the MT50s and that EVERYONE else hates them?

    Question: Have you even tried MT50s?

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    So, your argument is that Shimano was irresponsible for making the MT50? How about CB with their lightly springed pedals? And what about those people (like me) who actually liked the MT50s... are we wrong too? Or are you suggesting that I am the only one who likes the MT50s and that EVERYONE else hates them?

    Question: Have you even tried MT50s?
    Irresponsible is not a word I used. Its a product, just a crap one. As I said, which you obviously missed, a hybrid pedal does neither platform nor clipless well.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Irresponsible is not a word I used. Its a product, just a crap one. As I said, which you obviously missed, a hybrid pedal does neither platform nor clipless well.
    Then we should agree to disagree. You think the MT50 is a crap product. I think it is a very useful product. I liked it very much. I don't know for sure, but I can imagine that there are many people who use them and are satisfied with them. Just because you don't think they are a good product doesn't make it so. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

    But you haven't answered my question. Have you even tried MT50s? I don't think they are a "hybrid" pedal. That's something that you made up. Shimano saw the benefit of making the spring tension of their pedals adjustable. In fact this is cited frequently as one of the reasons Shimanos are superior. The MT50 merely extends the range of adjustability... as does the mod that I did.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,000
    OK lets settle this now and stop wasting our time please.

    Jim_bo is right and knows all and best!
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Then we should agree to disagree. You think the MT50 is a crap product. I think it is a very useful product. I liked it very much. I don't know for sure, but I can imagine that there are many people who use them and are satisfied with them. Just because you don't think they are a good product doesn't make it so. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

    But you haven't answered my question. Have you even tried MT50s? I don't think they are a "hybrid" pedal. That's something that you made up. Shimano saw the benefit of making the spring tension of their pedals adjustable. In fact this is cited frequently as one of the reasons Shimanos are superior. The MT50 merely extends the range of adjustability... as does the mod that I did.
    Sure, shimano themselves dont use the term "hybrid", but that pedal, by definition, is a hybrid.

    Shimano is marketing the pedal as one that "is engineered to deliver all the benefits of SPD without the intimidation factor and learning curve of traditional clipless pedals. " Theyre marketing the pedal to be used with their specific shoes, which give comfort when also walking. Walking around in the same shoes you ride in isnt typically something a cyclist is interested in.

    if you liked the MT50 so much, why did you switch away from it?

    Have i used the MT50? That specific model, No. Ive not used a hybrid pedal in many years, way before the MT50 was introduced. But when I was a beginner, I did use one of shimano's other hybrid platform/SPD pedals.. They all have the same problem. Using a typical flat shoe doesnt give anywhere near the grip as a dedicated platform pedal, so theyre just a bulky clipless pedal. Once a cyclist is experienced enough to realize what they want, they choose which side of the flat/clipless fence to jump to.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  59. #59
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Good point... but no. Sole tension is not the issue. The issue is that in an emergency situation (i.e. one where I need to get my foot to the ground quickly), my reflex is to pull my foot up or forward. I've done this several times. Even on the lightest spring settings on the SPD pedals, this doesn't work. Once I figure out my error and I consciously move my foot in the right direction, it is sometimes too late. A lighter spring tension will allow me to unclip in an emergency situation that is driven by reflex rather than thought. However, I believe that time in the modified pedals will retrain my reflexes... and that is the goal.
    This is because you have not learned how to properly unclip, and are attempting to bypass the proper way to do it. When the cleats are new, no matter the tension setting, they can be a bit of work to get out. The more they are used, the easier it becomes. Partly due to the wear on them, and partly due to the practice of actually going through the motion and getting used to it. Instead of learning how to properly do it, you are taking a shortcut. Whatever works for you I guess.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

  60. #60
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Good point... but no. Sole tension is not the issue. The issue is that in an emergency situation (i.e. one where I need to get my foot to the ground quickly), my reflex is to pull my foot up or forward. I've done this several times. Even on the lightest spring settings on the SPD pedals, this doesn't work. Once I figure out my error and I consciously move my foot in the right direction, it is sometimes too late. A lighter spring tension will allow me to unclip in an emergency situation that is driven by reflex rather than thought. However, I believe that time in the modified pedals will retrain my reflexes... and that is the goal.


    DING DING DING......there lies the problem.

    The natural reflex for all of us is to pull our foot up to release the cleat.

    However, with a little bit of practice, we have all learned to use the pedals/release our feet properly.

    Those that can't figure it out, go back to riding flats.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    DING DING DING......there lies the problem.

    The natural reflex for all of us is to pull our foot up to release the cleat.

    However, with a little bit of practice, we have all learned to use the pedals/release our feet properly.

    Those that can't figure it out, go back to riding flats.
    So, if you are in agreement about the natural reflex, why would you be opposed to someone retaining that reflex in a way that doesn't cause injury? Does a person really need to accumulate a portfolio of scars to be in your clipless club? And really... why do you care what other riders do in the first place? I simply posted a mod for the benefit of people who have had the same issues as me. I didn't post to be judgemental.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    This is because you have not learned how to properly unclip, and are attempting to bypass the proper way to do it. When the cleats are new, no matter the tension setting, they can be a bit of work to get out. The more they are used, the easier it becomes. Partly due to the wear on them, and partly due to the practice of actually going through the motion and getting used to it. Instead of learning how to properly do it, you are taking a shortcut. Whatever works for you I guess.
    I completely disagree. I am not bypassing anything except for injury. This is NOTa shortcut. I am learning exactly the same thing you learned...just without the scars to prove it.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Sure, shimano themselves dont use the term "hybrid", but that pedal, by definition, is a hybrid.
    Maybe I simply don't understand your definition of the word hybrid.

    Shimano is marketing the pedal as one that "is engineered to deliver all the benefits of SPD without the intimidation factor and learning curve of traditional clipless pedals. "
    Isn't that EXACTLY what I've been saying?

    Theyre marketing the pedal to be used with their specific shoes, which give comfort when also walking. Walking around in the same shoes you ride in isnt typically something a cyclist is interested in.
    Shimano markets ALL of their pedals to go with shimano shoes.


    if you liked the MT50 so much, why did you switch away from it?
    For the reasons I've already stated... xts are lighter and they have better clearance.

    Have i used the MT50? That specific model, No. Ive not used a hybrid pedal in many years, way before the MT50 was introduced. But when I was a beginner, I did use one of shimano's other hybrid platform/SPD pedals.. They all have the same problem. Using a typical flat shoe doesnt give anywhere near the grip as a dedicated platform pedal, so theyre just a bulky clipless pedal. Once a cyclist is experienced enough to realize what they want, they choose which side of the flat/clipless fence to jump to.
    I don't use my MT50s with flat shoes... or my XTs. So I don't understand your point.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Maybe I simply don't understand your definition of the word hybrid.
    Dictionary. That MT50 is a combination of Flat and traditional SPD.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Isn't that EXACTLY what I've been saying?
    Yes, but that doesnt mean its a good idea. Shimano markets a wide array of products, hoping to have all bases of the market covered.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Shimano markets ALL of their pedals to go with shimano shoes.
    Correct, but the MT50 is marketed for use as part of their "Click'R" line. Their marketing is geared toward the "Hey, do you want to walk in mountain bike shoes? Do typical SPD pedals intimidate you? Try our Click'R system! "Walk AND ride comfort & performance"

    SHIMANO CLICK'R - TECHNOLOGIES - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO



    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    For the reasons I've already stated... xts are lighter and they have better clearance.
    You already realize the benefits, but you modify the pedal so you can pull straight out instead of slipping your foot to the side. This goes against not only the benefit of clipless, but does nothing to build a new motor memory. The -56 cleat that comes with the MT50, along with an unmodified XT pedal in the lightest tension, is usually light enough to disengage from the pedal pulling straight up. I know mine always did. Any lighter? I couldnt imagine how frustrating it would be trying to keep my foot in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I don't use my MT50s with flat does... or my XTs. Do I don't understand your point.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    Dictionary. That MT50 is a combination of Flat and traditional SPD.
    I don't think that's what MT50s are. But your point is moot because this thread is about modding XTs.


    Yes, but that doesnt mean its a good idea. Shimano markets a wide array of products, hoping to have all bases of the market covered.




    Correct, but the MT50 is marketed for use as part of their "Click'R" line. Their marketing is geared toward the "Hey, do you want to walk in mountain bike shoes? Do typical SPD pedals intimidate you? Try our Click'R system! "Walk AND ride comfort & performance"

    SHIMANO CLICK'R - TECHNOLOGIES - CYCLING FOOTWEAR AND PEDALS - LIFESTYLE GEAR - SHIMANO
    I don't get your point or how it applies to this thread.


    You already realize the benefits, but you modify the pedal so you can pull straight out instead of slipping your foot to the side. This goes against not only the benefit of clipless, but does nothing to build a new motor memory. The -56 cleat that comes with the MT50, along with an unmodified XT pedal in the lightest tension, is usually light enough to disengage from the pedal pulling straight up. I know mine always did. Any lighter? I couldnt imagine how frustrating it would be trying to keep my foot in.
    Again, we can agree to disagree. But given that you haven't tried a pedal with a light spring tension like the MT50 or a modded pair of XTs, I guess you aren't speaking from experience. I've used all of pedals I just described.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    People often start mtb not realizing it is an advanced discipline of cycling. They just go out and expect to learn by trial and error. They really need to work on cycling skills on pave. It is similar with SPDs; folks throw them on the bike and simply expect to work through the learning period.

    What is needed is practice outside of the mtb experience. .
    Good observation and advice IMO.

    Jim_bo- I haven't used the particular spd model you're talking about but I've used lots of them and my experience is that they can be set to have very light action without modification. Easy release and having them release when they're not supposed to are two different things.

  67. #67
    aka: Bucky Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,657
    So, bottom line by your [OP's] explanation, by making it easier to disengage with incorrect form, you will never learn and pattern the required action to get out of a properly tensioned SPD as long as you rely on your "frankenpedals." You have effectively increased the learning curve of proper use and will likely still have issues should you chose to use an unmodified pedal.

    Damn! Just go to a grassy flat area and practice for an hour and get it over with. With the time you have spent here arguing your righteous cause, you could be a pro SPD user. This has grown to tiring ridiculousness.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    So what's your point? Are you saying that one pair of Shimano pedals has a minimum spring tension so that sets the bar for what I should use as a minimum spring tension? But since another set of Shimano pedals has a lower minimum spring tension, I should disregard that simply because you haven't used those pedals and it wouldn't provide you benefit?



    Exactly what the hell is wrong with you people?

    Whew, you sure are a feisty one Jim_bo!

    Actually my point was that IME most Shimano pedals at their lowest tension are already scary light for most people and requires good pedaling technique not to inadvertently clip out at that setting, and that maybe something might be wrong with the ones you have. Recommending a mod that will most likely do more harm than good based on your (somewhat) limited experiences just seems a little dodgy to me.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    534

    Re: Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Exactly what the hell is wrong with you people? ... You'd think that I F'd the virgin Mary by the reaction people have had. I've been told everything from "you should try harder" to "you're just a Pu$$y" to people wishing injury upon me. Did I really commit the sin of not being like everyone else? How many scars to I need to display in order to not take a bunch of crap about a simple pedal mod? How much do I need to be like you people to make you feel better about yourselves?



    -Apparently, I am not masculine enough, strong enough, smart enough, skilled enough or responsible enough to use the product that is far more likely to result in injury.

    ... the majority of posters here feel compelled to berate, belittle and criticize that which they do not know, understand or identify with. The term luddite comes to mind. Look it up... you may find yourself looking in a mirror.



    ... But if all you want to do is tell me that I am less of a person because I like the mod, then you are an a$$hole and I really don't want your comment at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    why not just STFU.
    ... That is unless you have the narcissistic compulsion to show that anyone who does things differently than you is obviously wrong and irresponsible. I don't have that need. My ego isn't nearly that big and my self esteem isn't nearly that low.

    Actually, if you reread the entire thread, you yourself did all of the things you are accusing others of...you should really see someone about your obvious projection, overcompensating ego, and low self esteem issues. It must be daunting for you to be so angry, in need of validation, and unhappy all the time.
    Last edited by iscariot; 09-01-2014 at 03:11 PM.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Whew, you sure are a feisty one Jim_bo!

    Actually my point was that IME most Shimano pedals at their lowest tension are already scary light for most people and requires good pedaling technique not to inadvertently clip out at that setting, and that maybe something might be wrong with the ones you have. Recommending a mod that will most likely do more harm than good based on your (somewhat) limited experiences just seems a little dodgy to me.
    I'm not sure how to quantify "scary light". But what I do know is the first time I tried spd pedals, the results were not good... at all. I switched to platforms for a couple years and decided to go back. The click'r setup worked great, so I tried xts. Not nearly as bad as the first time I ride spds, but still bad. Improvement occurred... just not enough. More time on the modded pedals and I should be fine. But the mod makes a nice stop gap.

    One thing I know for sure. If I were to figure out a way to make magical improvements to a bike... I would not share it here. Way to many people that would rather berate, belittle and criticize rather than understand and consider something different that that which they are used to.

    If I were to post here that I was using MT50s, no one would have said a thing. But, since I said I modded xts to work like MT50s, I get a ration of sh!t. Last time I'll make that mistake.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    Unfortunately the attitude of the OP is also held by those individuals who sanitize tech sections of trail so they can clean it without learning how to ride at a higher level.
    Exactly.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I'm not sure how to quantify "scary light". But what I do know is the first time I tried spd pedals, the results were not good... at all. I switched to platforms for a couple years and decided to go back. The click'r setup worked great, so I tried xts. Not nearly as bad as the first time I ride spds, but still bad. Improvement occurred... just not enough. More time on the modded pedals and I should be fine. But the mod makes a nice stop gap.

    One thing I know for sure. If I were to figure out a way to make magical improvements to a bike... I would not share it here. Way to many people that would rather berate, belittle and criticize rather than understand and consider something different that that which they are used to.

    If I were to post here that I was using MT50s, no one would have said a thing. But, since I said I modded xts to work like MT50s, I get a ration of sh!t. Last time I'll make that mistake.
    You sure have a short memory.

    Shimano Click'r pedals
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    Unfortunately the attitude of the OP is also held by those individuals who sanitize tech sections of trail so they can clean it without learning how to ride at a higher level.
    Nope....just the opposite. I think there should be a wide variety of trail difficulties to match a wide variety of rider's skills. But I would NOT advocate a beginner start off on a double black diamond trail after practicing a bit in the grass. And I Damn sure wouldn't criticize him for choosing to start with the easier trails until he gained some skills and confidence.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    238

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    I'm going to mod my Yeti to perform like a Huffy.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been done or not. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea (I'll be testing it tomorrow). If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in their results.

    First, I just switched from platform to clipless pedals. I started with the Shimano MT50s. Shimano says these pedals are 60% easier to get in and out of than SPD pedals. I wanted to use a better pedal with more clearance, so I got a pair of XT trail pedals. But even on their lightest setting, they were too hard to get out of. I only narrowly averted disaster on a ride this morning.

    Upon inspection, it appears that the MT50 is easier to get out of simply due to using lighter springs on the part of the the pedal that rotates and releases the back part of the cleat. I notice that each of the rotating plates had two springs operating on them. So, this made me wonder, could I further reduce spring tension on my XT pedals simply by removing one of the springs. The answer is yes.

    The first thing I did was remove the three screws attaching the plate that holds the front of the cleat. Remove the plate and this relieves tension on the springs. There is a screw that the springs pivot about. Loosen this screw and carefully remove the screw just enough to drop one of the springs. Be careful not to pull the screw too much as the adjustment screw will drop out. This happened to me on one of the sides... but I got it back together with some effort. Once the spring is removed, I replace the pivot screw and replaced the plate.

    Now my pedals are VERY easy to get out of. I can still tighten the remaining springs to increase tension on the rotating plate. Now I don't fear falling over on my bike with my feet stuck in pedals. I can increase spring tension incrementally to train myself on proper use. But this only allows me to skip the scary learning period.
    TLR It's your stuff. Modify it however you want. You don't need anyones approval.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    You don't need anyones approval.
    Oh but he does...which is why he gets irate and belligerent whenever he doesn't get the validation he is seeking.

  77. #77
    aka: Bucky Fikes
    Reputation: Oh My Sack!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    Here's another option: Since you are obviously not the type of person/rider that this thread was intended for... why not just STFU. If this has grown to tiring ridiculousness, then please... by all means... stay out of this thread. That is unless you have the narcissistic compulsion to show that anyone who does things differently than you is obviously wrong and irresponsible. I don't have that need. My ego isn't nearly that big and my self esteem isn't nearly that low.
    This has been a nice troll post. Because it's obvious that's all you are. One red Chiclet for you. I think it's time you went away before you hurt yourself on your mtb. Might I suggest knitting...or possibly quilting.

  78. #78
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,736
    He won't get my approval on this, ever. It doesn't matter if he wants it, or needs it, he won't get it.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

  79. #79
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by laherna View Post
    I'm going to mod my Yeti to perform like a Huffy.
    Hahahaha!

  80. #80
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,302
    Just curious about the type of trails/riding you're doing OP. I am sure your mod is fine for tooling around the neighborhood with your kid carrier, but how about rock gardens or tech climbs, what happens when you bunny hop?

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Just curious about the type of trails/riding you're doing OP. I am sure your mod is fine for tooling around the neighborhood with your kid carrier, but how about rock gardens or tech climbs, what happens when you bunny hop?
    I ride a combo of cross country and all mountain. Rock gardens, switchbacks, technical downhills/uphills, sand washes, etc. So far, after about 200 miles of using lightly sprung clips pedals (between the MT50s and modded XTs)I have had only 1 unexpected release (not on my modded pedals). No biggie... just clipped back on and kept going. This is FAR less than I would have had with my platforms... So I am really having a hard time understanding the peril involved. Platform riders have their feet come off the pedals all the time... It's part of riding platforms. But for some reason, clipless riders think that if your foot comes off the pedal you will explode on the spot. I understand that under specific circumstances it can be bad, but I feel way safer on my lightly sprung clipless pedals than I did on my platforms. Now I am sure some smart person will come here and tell me that since my circumstances don't fit his version of how the world should work, I will soon die a bloody death and he is pissed off because he's gonna have to clean my rotted corpse off of the trail.

  82. #82
    The Original Suspect
    Reputation: HitmenOnlyInc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,302
    Well good luck. Glad it's working out for you.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: borabora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,069
    No reasonable person could really care that much about the release tension of an SPD pedal. It's one of those things that one should easily be able to agree to disagree and get on with one's life. Go ride your bikes and stop the insanity!

  84. #84
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,935

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    Well, you can't fix lazy.

  85. #85
    I'd rather be on my bike
    Reputation: TenSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,736
    Spent the time modifying the pedals, then coming on here and defending himself. Could have been spent out on the trail actually learning how to properly unclip on unmolested SPD pedals. Just sayin'.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,188
    Yowzer. Just try pedaling one legged and clipping in and out. I wonder what shimano would have to say on the subject. Just work on kicking your heels out to release. And learn some internet toughness. Let us know how it works out for you. Maybe you have reinvented the wheel, wait, nevermind.

  87. #87
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,935

    Making SPD pedals easier to use

    But, jimbo knows

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    622
    I just don't understand how you would need less tension. I ride XT pedals and when set on the lowest setting, they aren't even usable to me. I sneeze and my foot pops out. From my personal experience:

    "Rock gardens, switchbacks, technical downhills/uphills, sand washes, etc."

    this is just BS. It just doesn't make any sense how you would want to be able to ride technical trails, yet have your foot be too hard to get out. That, and part that you want to be able to pull your foot straight up illustrates what everyone is trying to tell you....the pedals are designed to NOT work that way....so you are just doing yourself a disservice of learning to use them the incorrect way. It will make it that much harder to learn the correct way when you get to the point you need more tension...

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    8,442
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    . Platform riders have their feet come off the pedals all the time... It's part of riding platforms.

    It is?

Similar Threads

  1. SURVEY: Making a family's bikes easier to store and transport
    By Bob Forgrave in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 01:00 PM
  2. SURVEY: Making MTN bikes easier to store & transport
    By Bob Forgrave in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM
  3. SURVEY: Making MTN bike transportation easier
    By Bob Forgrave in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  4. SS riding......easier?
    By monty797 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
  5. making the front end easier to lift
    By pulpwoody in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 05-09-2011, 10:25 PM

Members who have read this thread: 87

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •