Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    You sure have a short memory.

Shimano Click'r pedals
    My memory is fine. If you look at that thread, you'll see that there wasn't a bunch of guys calling me pu$$y and telling me I just needed to try harder. In fact the overall theme of the thread was geared more towards the quality of the MT50s. So what's your point?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    My memory is fine. If you look at that thread, you'll see that there wasn't a bunch of guys calling me pu$$y and telling me I just needed to try harder. In fact the overall theme of the thread was geared more towards the quality of the MT50s. So what's your point?
    I guess we are reading different threads
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    Unfortunately the attitude of the OP is also held by those individuals who sanitize tech sections of trail so they can clean it without learning how to ride at a higher level.
    Nope....just the opposite. I think there should be a wide variety of trail difficulties to match a wide variety of rider's skills. But I would NOT advocate a beginner start off on a double black diamond trail after practicing a bit in the grass. And I Damn sure wouldn't criticize him for choosing to start with the easier trails until he gained some skills and confidence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Making SPD pedals easier to use

I'm going to mod my Yeti to perform like a Huffy.

Dirt Junkie
    I'm not sure if this has been done or not. I'm not even sure if it's a good idea (I'll be testing it tomorrow). If anyone has done this, I'd be interested in their results.

First, I just switched from platform to clipless pedals. I started with the Shimano MT50s. Shimano says these pedals are 60% easier to get in and out of than SPD pedals. I wanted to use a better pedal with more clearance, so I got a pair of XT trail pedals. But even on their lightest setting, they were too hard to get out of. I only narrowly averted disaster on a ride this morning.

Upon inspection, it appears that the MT50 is easier to get out of simply due to using lighter springs on the part of the the pedal that rotates and releases the back part of the cleat. I notice that each of the rotating plates had two springs operating on them. So, this made me wonder, could I further reduce spring tension on my XT pedals simply by removing one of the springs. The answer is yes.

The first thing I did was remove the three screws attaching the plate that holds the front of the cleat. Remove the plate and this relieves tension on the springs. There is a screw that the springs pivot about. Loosen this screw and carefully remove the screw just enough to drop one of the springs. Be careful not to pull the screw too much as the adjustment screw will drop out. This happened to me on one of the sides... but I got it back together with some effort. Once the spring is removed, I replace the pivot screw and replaced the plate.

Now my pedals are VERY easy to get out of. I can still tighten the remaining springs to increase tension on the rotating plate. Now I don't fear falling over on my bike with my feet stuck in pedals. I can increase spring tension incrementally to train myself on proper use. But this only allows me to skip the scary learning period.
    TLR It's your stuff. Modify it however you want. You don't need anyones approval.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    You don't need anyones approval.
    Oh but he does...which is why he gets irate and belligerent whenever he doesn't get the validation he is seeking.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Here's another option: Since you are obviously not the type of person/rider that this thread was intended for... why not just STFU. If this has grown to tiring ridiculousness, then please... by all means... stay out of this thread. That is unless you have the narcissistic compulsion to show that anyone who does things differently than you is obviously wrong and irresponsible. I don't have that need. My ego isn't nearly that big and my self esteem isn't nearly that low.
    This has been a nice troll post. Because it's obvious that's all you are. One red Chiclet for you. I think it's time you went away before you hurt yourself on your mtb. Might I suggest knitting...or possibly quilting.

I'd rather be on my bike
    He won't get my approval on this, ever. It doesn't matter if he wants it, or needs it, he won't get it.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3070/2500

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by laherna View Post
    I'm going to mod my Yeti to perform like a Huffy.
    Hahahaha!

The Original Suspect
    Just curious about the type of trails/riding you're doing OP. I am sure your mod is fine for tooling around the neighborhood with your kid carrier, but how about rock gardens or tech climbs, what happens when you bunny hop?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Just curious about the type of trails/riding you're doing OP. I am sure your mod is fine for tooling around the neighborhood with your kid carrier, but how about rock gardens or tech climbs, what happens when you bunny hop?
    I ride a combo of cross country and all mountain. Rock gardens, switchbacks, technical downhills/uphills, sand washes, etc. So far, after about 200 miles of using lightly sprung clips pedals (between the MT50s and modded XTs)I have had only 1 unexpected release (not on my modded pedals). No biggie... just clipped back on and kept going. This is FAR less than I would have had with my platforms... So I am really having a hard time understanding the peril involved. Platform riders have their feet come off the pedals all the time... It's part of riding platforms. But for some reason, clipless riders think that if your foot comes off the pedal you will explode on the spot. I understand that under specific circumstances it can be bad, but I feel way safer on my lightly sprung clipless pedals than I did on my platforms. Now I am sure some smart person will come here and tell me that since my circumstances don't fit his version of how the world should work, I will soon die a bloody death and he is pissed off because he's gonna have to clean my rotted corpse off of the trail.

The Original Suspect
    Well good luck. Glad it's working out for you.

mtbr member
    No reasonable person could really care that much about the release tension of an SPD pedal. It's one of those things that one should easily be able to agree to disagree and get on with one's life. Go ride your bikes and stop the insanity!

Big Mac

Well, you can't fix lazy.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Spent the time modifying the pedals, then coming on here and defending himself. Could have been spent out on the trail actually learning how to properly unclip on unmolested SPD pedals. Just sayin'.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 3070/2500

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yowzer. Just try pedaling one legged and clipping in and out. I wonder what shimano would have to say on the subject. Just work on kicking your heels out to release. And learn some internet toughness. Let us know how it works out for you. Maybe you have reinvented the wheel, wait, nevermind.

Big Mac

But, jimbo knows

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just don't understand how you would need less tension. I ride XT pedals and when set on the lowest setting, they aren't even usable to me. I sneeze and my foot pops out. From my personal experience:

"Rock gardens, switchbacks, technical downhills/uphills, sand washes, etc."

this is just BS. It just doesn't make any sense how you would want to be able to ride technical trails, yet have your foot be too hard to get out. That, and part that you want to be able to pull your foot straight up illustrates what everyone is trying to tell you....the pedals are designed to NOT work that way....so you are just doing yourself a disservice of learning to use them the incorrect way. It will make it that much harder to learn the correct way when you get to the point you need more tension...

mtbr member
    . Platform riders have their feet come off the pedals all the time... It's part of riding platforms.

It is?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4