Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Amen

No joke. Not everyone needs to ride clipless pedals. I rode them for 14yrs because there wasn't a better alternative for a long time. But now there are solid alternatives in one of the MANY dozens of models of pinned platforms. For any budget. Now I have pinned platforms on even my commute bike, because they just fit the way I ride better.

Yes, the Clickr pedals have lower spring tension for beginners. Explain again why you bought the XT Trail pedals and then modified them to be more like the Clickr pedals? That thought process just isn't registering for me.

After riding the Click'rs for a couple hundred miles, I bought a new bike and had some XTs thrown into the deal. I took them out and was not comfortable on them at all. I understand that they are not that hard to get out of.... when you try to get out correctly. But when there is something unexpected, reflexes don't move my foot in the right direction. Muscle memory has to be developed. I just don't want to get bruised up trying to develop the muscle memory.

With the modified pedal, I don't have the anxiety of the pending fall over. So, I can ride the way I rode with my platforms with the confidence that I can get my foot to the ground quickly as a reflex action. As muscle memory develops, I'm sure I'll be cranking up the spring tension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    A ingenious solution to a non-existent problem.
    A troll post....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    A troll post....
    when everyone is telling you the same thing... which posts become the troll posts?
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

I'd rather be on my bike
    You take something that is a proven product, the SPD pedal, and you modify it. Why hasn't this been done in the past? No need to. You learn how to unclip, plain and simple. Just like you learn to ride a bike, the muscle memory will get you unclipped. In other words, you don't reinvent the wheel, especially when your modified pedal is questionably safe at best. Shimano has been making the SPD pedals how long now? You would think that they would have it just about right by now, right?

Shoe interference was the biggest hinderance for me. I have a pair of Shimano MTB shoes that have 0 clearance issues. I bought a pair of casual Chrome brand shoes, and there is all kinds of interference not allowing me to unclip. I should take the Dremel to the sole of the shoe to rectify it really. I have crashed on the road because of it.

You take the bike out in the yard, or a grassy area, and you ride around, and practice unclipping. We all have done it. We all more than likely, have also fallen because of it the first time out. My now ex wife fell in the yard the first day, hell she barely made it out into the yard before she fell. I fell on my first trail ride. After that, I never crashed or fell due to the fact that I couldn't get unclipped. You train your brain to remember that you are clipped in, and that you need to unclip when you come to a stop. Just like you have to take your foot off the pedal. You had to learn how to do that.

If my post comes across as condescending, I won't apologize. You simply gave up, and are trying to figure out a way to bypass learning how to do it. Lets call it for what it is.
    '13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2746/2500

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Making SPD pedals easier to use

I am using SH56s. I understand the difference. I didn't really post this seeing advice. I just got tired of reading people's unhelpful advice telling new clipless riders that they should just try harder.
    You and other new clipless riders should just try harder.

TenSpeed is 100% on point. Man up like a red blooded American male, figure **** out, deal with it, and learn to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    You take something that is a proven product, the SPD pedal, and you modify it. Why hasn't this been done in the past? No need to. You learn how to unclip, plain and simple. Just like you learn to ride a bike, the muscle memory will get you unclipped. In other words, you don't reinvent the wheel, especially when your modified pedal is questionably safe at best. Shimano has been making the SPD pedals how long now? You would think that they would have it just about right by now, right?

Shoe interference was the biggest hinderance for me. I have a pair of Shimano MTB shoes that have 0 clearance issues. I bought a pair of casual Chrome brand shoes, and there is all kinds of interference not allowing me to unclip. I should take the Dremel to the sole of the shoe to rectify it really. I have crashed on the road because of it.

You take the bike out in the yard, or a grassy area, and you ride around, and practice unclipping. We all have done it. We all more than likely, have also fallen because of it the first time out. My now ex wife fell in the yard the first day, hell she barely made it out into the yard before she fell. I fell on my first trail ride. After that, I never crashed or fell due to the fact that I couldn't get unclipped. You train your brain to remember that you are clipped in, and that you need to unclip when you come to a stop. Just like you have to take your foot off the pedal. You had to learn how to do that.

If my post comes across as condescending, I won't apologize. You simply gave up, and are trying to figure out a way to bypass learning how to do it. Lets call it for what it is.
    Sure... let's call it what it is... a troll post.

If you can say that you have never modified a "proven product" to better meet your needs, then you ain't much of a red blooded American male

I'd rather be on my bike
    So you are calling me a troll? This is going to get interesting.

'13 FELT TK3 / '09 Jamis Sonik
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2746/2500

p_h
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    So you are calling me a troll? This is going to get interesting.

Jim bo,

The other posters have tried to be nice by giving you advice and you respond to their comments with anger and insults. It is clear that you are not a very bright person (regardless of the halfassed and probably unsafe modifications you have figured out how to do). I understand that as a person who's brain does not operate on the same level as most people, your natural reaction to someone giving you advice is to believe they are insulting you. And in turn, you act on your ill thought out and confused beliefs and respond with insults because it is the only way you know how to deal with a confusing situation.

The other posters were not attempting to be insulting. I am.

You believe you are an innovator. In fact, all you have done is created a solution to a problem that does not exist. Or at least a solution to a problem that did not exist until you created it. There is a difference between fixing a legitimate issue and what you have done. You have essentially damaged the structural and mechanical integrity of a product because you refuse or fail to learn how to use it properly.

Because of your actions, I have created a list of things similar to what you have done.

1. Buying a camelbak, removing the bladder and using the bag to hold a water bottle. "Hey guys, I have invented a solution to the water bottle cage!"

2. You want a new pair of shorts. Instead, you buy a pair of jeans and cut the legs off and tell everyone how innovative you are.

3. Peeing in your own mouth because you a thirsty and all the clean dishes are in the dishwasher.
    "Prepare for unforeseen consequences"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by p_h View Post
    Jim bo,

The other posters have tried to be nice by giving you advice and you respond to their comments with anger and insults. It is clear that you are not a very bright person (regardless of the halfassed and probably unsafe modifications you have figured out how to do). I understand that as a person who's brain does not operate on the same level as most people, your natural reaction to someone giving you advice is to believe they are insulting you. And in turn, you act on your ill thought out and confused beliefs and respond with insults because it is the only way you know how to deal with a confusing situation.

You believe you are an innovator. In fact, all you have done is created a solution to a problem that does not exist. Or at least a solution to a problem that did not exist until you created it. There is a difference between fixing a legitimate issue and what you have done. You have essentially damaged the structural and mechanical integrity of a product because you refuse or fail to learn how to use it properly.

Because of your actions, I have created a list of things similar to what you have done.

1. Buying a camelbak, removing the bladder and using the bag to hold a water bottle. "Hey guys, I have invented a solution to the water bottle cage!"

2. You want a new pair of shorts. Instead, you buy a pair of jeans and cut the legs off and tell everyone how innovative you are.

3. Peeing in your own mouth because you a thirsty and all the clean dishes are in the dishwasher.
    100% Awesome.

Sure... let's call it what it is... a troll post.

If you can say that you have never modified a "proven product" to better meet your needs, then you ain't much of a red blooded American male
    Please explain how potentially damaging a product to make it easier because you refuse to own up to the fact that you lack the skills to use the product the way it was intended to be used, and refuse to practice to develop those skills, makes you a red-blooded American male?

I thought that being determined to learn to use said product would be more indicative. Or possibly developing an entirely new product that reflects a new way of thinking about the problem.

This endeavor has "home mechanic syndrome" written all over it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    This endeavor has "home mechanic syndrome" written all over it.
    I believe its correct anachronism is: Home Mechanic Obsessive Syndrome.

Or HO.M.O.S for short.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Making SPD pedals easier to use

Quote Originally Posted by p_h View Post
    Jim bo,

^^ this!

What i do not understand from the OP is that he posted an opinion and expected responses to go along with his opinion and since nobody has agreed to his opinion everybody else are ignorant and are trolls?

SIGH!
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

The Original Suspect
    After riding the Click'rs for a couple hundred miles, I bought a new bike and had some XTs thrown into the deal. I took them out and was not comfortable on them at all. I understand that they are not that hard to get out of.... when you try to get out correctly. But when there is something unexpected, reflexes don't move my foot in the right direction. Muscle memory has to be developed. I just don't want to get bruised up trying to develop the muscle memory.

With the modified pedal, I don't have the anxiety of the pending fall over. So, I can ride the way I rode with my platforms with the confidence that I can get my foot to the ground quickly as a reflex action. As muscle memory develops, I'm sure I'll be cranking up the spring tension.
    What you're really saying is that you're a pu$$y.

It's about showing up.
    People often start mtb not realizing it is an advanced discipline of cycling. They just go out and expect to learn by trial and error. They really need to work on cycling skills on pave. It is similar with SPDs; folks throw them on the bike and simply expect to work through the learning period.

What is needed is practice outside of the mtb experience. Neither new mtb'ers or folks new to SPDs want to do that. They just want to mountain bike and click-in like the skilled riders. They don't want to limit themselves in any way. They give you a bunch of reasons, complain about the machine, or try to build work-arounds but....

In the last 15 years I coached kids and teens developing them into racers. They are captive and must act within perimeters. Teaching mtb to this group is dream; they listen, understand rehearsal, and have far fewer injuries. They develop deep skills and become assets and role models to the other newer riders. Teaching adults is much harder as they want to do what they want to do. The result is broken wrists, collarbones and such, which they have twisted into badges of honor.

So adults ask for "tips and tricks," a "better tire", higher front bar positions......

This is not new.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Making SPD pedals easier to use

OP, you probably need to find another hobby if your afraid of getting bruises. Just sayin..........

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Jimbo your mod was smart. It gets you the really easy release and maybe when you become more comfortable with pedals, the springs go back in. Can't do that with the clicker. Personally I can't ride flats much. I need free float that an SPD provides. 5:10 and Straightline AMP pedals don't provide that. Plus I ride lots of pretty steep long climbs in Whistler where I live. Like See Colours and Puke. 2k long and 300 metres elevation gain. 15% ave grade but there are steeper bits and a few flatter bits. Clipped in is much more efficient.

The White Jeff W

So, I can ride the way I rode with my platforms with the confidence that I can get my foot to the ground quickly as a reflex action.

So what is the point of using the clipless pedals then? Why dont you just stick with flats?
    No moss...

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have rebuilt pedals from the bare parts and installed those springs. That's one of the absolute worst things you can ever do as far as maintenance/repair. It's such a PITA to get the spring back in the hole and one of those things you don't even wish on your enemies. Due to this, I'd NEVER EVER take one out that I thought I might need again in the future, it's not worth it. $100 isn't even enough $$$ to make me do it (even if I was still a shop mech).

With that said, I think the OP needs to practice a lot more before hitting the trail on clipless pedals. The first time he becomes just slightly airborne and the bike drops away because the pedal tension is so loose will seal the deal. When he goes to try and find the pedal it will be in a different position and next thing you know...BAM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The first time he becomes just slightly airborne and the bike drops away because the pedal tension is so loose will seal the deal. When he goes to try and find the pedal it will be in a different position and next thing you know...BAM.
    I guess the good news is that this pedal mod will likely limit both his future cycling and reproductive capabilities.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately the attitude of the OP is also held by those individuals who sanitize tech sections of trail so they can clean it without learning how to ride at a higher level.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldfart View Post
    Jimbo your mod was smart. It gets you the really easy release and maybe when you become more comfortable with pedals, the springs go back in. Can't do that with the clicker. Personally I can't ride flats much. I need free float that an SPD provides. 5:10 and Straightline AMP pedals don't provide that. Plus I ride lots of pretty steep long climbs in Whistler where I live. Like See Colours and Puke. 2k long and 300 metres elevation gain. 15% ave grade but there are steeper bits and a few flatter bits. Clipped in is much more efficient.
    I agree with the efficiency... that's one reason why I wanted to switch to clipless.

I used 5:10 impact shoes on platform pedals. The shoe stuck to the pedal like glue and it was roomy enough inside that I had float in the interface between my foot and the shoe vice the shoe and the pedal. But the shoes were heavy and I was constantly trying to adjust to get my foot in the right spot on the pedal. Clipless fixes that and riding with lower spring tension isn't any more dangerous than riding with platforms with respect to my foot accidentally coming off of the pedal.

I agree... as comfort level increases, so will spring tension. This just allows me more flexibility.

I wonder why no one here is disparaging Shimano for coming out with the MT50 pedal. It is advertised to be 60% easier to come out of than an SPD. Well, after removing half the springs, my pedals are 50% easier to come out of than SPD. But I see no one telling Shimano that they are not rocket scientists... that they just need to suck it up and try harder... or any of the other comments I have read here.

Shimano recognized that a good progression would be MT50s to SPDs. This seems logical and reasonable... but it involves buying two sets of pedals vice one. I simply made a mod that would allow for the same training progression as marketed by Shimano... but with only buying one set of pedals. I guess that makes me irresponsible?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I have rebuilt pedals from the bare parts and installed those springs. That's one of the absolute worst things you can ever do as far as maintenance/repair. It's such a PITA to get the spring back in the hole and one of those things you don't even wish on your enemies. Due to this, I'd NEVER EVER take one out that I thought I might need again in the future, it's not worth it. $100 isn't even enough $$$ to make me do it (even if I was still a shop mech).
    This mod took me every bit of 30 minutes to do. And 15 minutes of that was studying the pedal to see what to do. On one of the spring removals, I pulled the pin too far. I ended up with both springs and the adjustment screw on the table. This is as fully disassembled as they can get. But it only took me a couple of extra minutes to reassemble them from this state. I'm really not sure why it was so difficult for you. I had no trouble at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    So what is the point of using the clipless pedals then? Why dont you just stick with flats?
    See above post. Heavy shoes... constantly adjusting foot position... less efficient.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    Jimbo nice mod but after 10 hours of practicing you will have confidence in the pedals.

Unfortunately yours are lacking the tension that allow for good riding. I suggest you put that spring back in.

Depending on situation clipping out unwanted can be as bad (if not worse) as not being able to clip out when you desire.

Stay on paved trails and you will be fine!
    I agree... practice will result with greater confidence. But I disagree that my lower spring tension makes my pedals lacking in tension that allows for good riding. I did a quick 12 mile ride yesterday and they performed perfectly. They were very much like the MT50s that I used, but they are lighter and have more clearance.

I agree that unwanted uncliping is bad. I don't, however, see that as a problem given that I am coming off of long term platform use. Even with my lower spring tension, my foot is far more planted to the pedal than it was on platforms. Therefore, I didn't compromise safety... I increased safety.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post
    As far as being a post to help new riders, it isn't. If it works for you for whatever reason, then fine, but this isn't a 'mod' that should be encouraged to new riders. There really is a learning curve for most people to learn to ride clipless pedals. They work a certain way for a reason.
    Well, I disagree with you and apparently Shimano disagrees with you. My XT pedals now perform almost identically to the MT50s. Is shimano irresponsible for selling MT50s? And what is the reason for the way they work? How about crank brothers, who everyone says makes pedals that are far easier to unclip than SPDs (I haven't tried them... just repeating what I have heard). Are their pedals wrong? I don't think so. I think there is a wide range for a reason.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast